Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Trucksold

Default How much is this lathe worth?

I found this lathe on Craiglist and I'm going to look at it tomorrow evening. The seller doesn't have a price on it so I'm trying to gauge how much it is worth. Can you guys give some input on what would be a fair price for it?

So far all I know is it's a 110v, has a 32" deck, and it's 5" from the center of the chuck to the deck.

I've been reading the board for a while and this is my first time posting. People on here seem pretty knowledgeable and I thought you might be able to help me.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (49.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (43.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (50.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (45.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (48.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (50.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (54.2 KB, 92 views)
Trucksold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
sk farmer

Default Re: How much is this lathe worth?

it looks to be about 5 inches over the bed and maybe 30 between the head and tailstock making it about a 10 x 30. it is pretty old and the open gears and belts are a little scary. hard to tell condition in the pic but check under the chuck for wear and damage then farther down the ways. most damage and wear occurs close to the chuck. without firing it up it is a little hard to tell how it will cut. i would not put a lot of value on it as it is not real large, not many accessories, does not have a quick change gearbox and is not a real comman brand. a logan, southbend or atlas would be worth more. i would say 100 to 200 tops if in working condition.
sk farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
chad s

Not being a common manufacture I would walk. Even if it has everything working properly, finding parts and accessories to fit it will be hard. Its not worth the time and cost of moving and installing a machine that you cant easily keep running. Its looks a little rough, its not a turn key machine most likely.

I would search for a deal on a South bend, clausing, older Atlas, etc, that has a good supply or replacement parts, accessories, literature, etc. A lathe with a good support backing will be a better investment that you can use forever, instead of searching the world for one part just to get running again.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
BTG

not to hijack, but I'm a newbie here too and just bought my first lathe this weekend. I'd keep looking as there are a lot of lathes for sale now due to lots of small to medium sized machine shops and manufacturing co.'s shutting down. I picked this up up at auction super cheap but have a little work to do on it. Its probably a bit bigger than I needed for what little I'll use it, but hey it'll handle just about anything I need. It a South Bend 1307 with a 13" swing over--Mid 70's. I hauled it home in a 1 ton box truck and the tailpipe was close to dragging. This beast is heavy!

Sorry the pic is crappy--I still haven't unloaded it yet.
BTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
A_Pmech
Super Moderator

About scrap value.

If you happen to appreciate 1890's - 1910's machine tool design, that Seneca Falls is a good example and it might be a good machine for you. They were a popular machine in their time. You'll learn much about change gears, journal bearings, flat belting and the necessity of dead-sharp high-speed toolbits.

If, on the other hand, you're looking for a lathe to turn out work, I wouldn't consider it. There's far too much idle productive capacity in this country shedding inexpensively priced assets to buy a machine made over a century ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stanley Hooker
One stroke to produce power and three strokes to wear it out.
A_Pmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
A_Pmech
Super Moderator

BTG,

Interesting South Bend you have there. I did a little research on it quickly, as the design looks like something Sidney would do.

According to this thread: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...nd-129617.html

That machine was designed by the Sidney Tool Company and sold to South Bend from what I've read. In addition, the solid-state drive installed in it Pre-dates the Monarch 10EE solid-state drive by several years.

Monarch is still in Sidney, OH. I think somewhere along the line they absorbed the Sidney Tool Company and their famous herringbone-geared lathes, but I may be mistaken on that.

Nice looking machine. Take it easy getting it off.

Quote:
Old 10-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
BTG

A_P Mech: Thanks of the link--I've found out little about these lathes (beyond the specs) with the exception that they were built like tanks. There was actually another one of these 1307's up for auction when I got this, but despite the crappy tan paint job, this one's outfitted better and was in better condition. It'll take me some time to get it up and running, but when I do I'll post an update. The forklift will get a good workout with this
BTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
A_Pmech
Super Moderator

No problem. I saw it and the design made me very curious as it looks unusually stout for a South Bend. If it's indeed a Sidney, it is probably their attempt at capturing some of Monarch's 10EE segment. Which, from what I can see, was their idea.

I was hoping you'd say the "F-word". Going Egyptian on that thing would not be my first choice!

Post up some pics when you get it off! I'm interested to see what the rest of the machine looks like!

Quote:
Old 10-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
rsanter

not alot
I think I would give about $300 if its in decent to good shape

bob
Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Steve in SoCal

I have heard that the SB 1307 was actually a version of a Barber-Coleman 1307. http://www.lathes.co.uk/barber-colman/

They are an interesting looking machine.

Steve
Steve in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
A_Pmech
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SoCal View Post
I have heard that the SB 1307 was actually a version of a Barber-Coleman 1307. http://www.lathes.co.uk/barber-colman/
Interesting!

Looks like you may have found it, Steve.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
gahux

I don't think it is related to a Barber Colman 1307, except for general shape. Here is a picture of my Barber Colman 1307 I just finshed putting back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010065.jpg (146.5 KB, 57 views)
gahux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
A_Pmech
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahux View Post
I don't think it is related to a Barber Colman 1307, except for general shape. Here is a picture of my Barber Colman 1307 I just finshed putting back together.
Welcome!

Nice looking machine you have there.

Quote:
Old 06-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
Outlawmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Pmech View Post
About scrap value.

If you happen to appreciate 1890's - 1910's machine tool design, that Seneca Falls is a good example and it might be a good machine for you. They were a popular machine in their time. You'll learn much about change gears, journal bearings, flat belting and the necessity of dead-sharp high-speed toolbits.

If, on the other hand, you're looking for a lathe to turn out work, I wouldn't consider it. There's far too much idle productive capacity in this country shedding inexpensively priced assets to buy a machine made over a century ago.
Maybe a little above scrap value, but its a project in and of itself.

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
gahux

Thanks! I had to wait almost 10 years for my friend to sell it to me. He bought it at an auction and promptly dismantled a large chunck of it for a cosmetic update. Lost interest but wouldn't sell it. I now know where the guys who built those little puzzle boxes got their ideas from. Was a labor of love to put it back up in shape. She works beautifully. Amazingly smooth and pretty darn quite.
gahux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
craigslist, lathe