Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
TAMPAGT07

Default Any other uses for a garage door opener (besides to open a garage door?)

Has any member ever used a garage door opener for anything other then bolted to the ceiling and opening your garage door. A few things I have considered are to raise and lower my plasma TV into a concealed box, and a automatic roof raiser for an outside Tiki bar (Due to strick deed restrictions about not having anything over fence height.) Please advise if you have anything to share.
This posting is copyrighted by TAMPAGT07 for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this posting or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the posting without TAMPAGT07's consent is prohibited. (This mesage was bought to you by TAMPAGT07''s legal team, the three Robinowitz's)
TAMPAGT07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
sctattooer

Default Re: Any other uses for a garage door opener (besides to open a garage door?)

hmmm, maybe I can rig one up to pull my fat ass back out from underneath the van.
sctattooer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
ghnl

Default Re: Any other uses for a garage door opener (besides to open a garage door?)

Have you googled 'Red Green'?
'81 Alfa Romeo GTV-6, '91 Honda ST1100,
'99 F250 diesel, '06 Toyota Solara
My home page
ghnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Stuart in MN

My neighbor adapted one for opening and closing a gate across his driveway. It was a fraction of the cost of a purpose built gate opener but it uses basically the same mechanicals - all he had to do was fabricate some weather shields.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Jared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
Have you googled 'Red Green'?
I was gonna say the say thing, he maide something pretty sweet out of one but i cant remember what right now.
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
crankshaftdan II

Send a message via Yahoo to crankshaftdan II

Not all the mechanicals were used, however I have seen the drive motor adapted to a gear reducer for use as a barbecue spit for doing chickens (12 at a time on large wooden pole) or a 70lb. pig, or two average sized lambs. Works quite nicely, and does not burn up the motor! FWIW
crankshaftdan II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
ZRX61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I was gonna say the say thing, he maide something pretty sweet out of one but i cant remember what right now.
Convertible top for his car..
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
spazzer

My father built a shop in the backyard here, and put an electric door latch on the man door that is operated with the receiver setup of an old sears garage door opener and even uses the old remote.
spazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #9
PSU Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
How about a riding Lawnmower

Tony
PSU Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:46 AM   #10
Jason Starnes

Bringing this back from the dead.....

I saw a guy build a system that lowered a flat screen TV down from a big square hole in the ceiling out of a G-door opener.
Jason Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:09 AM   #11
kartracer23

Ever seen the movie 9 to 5? Perhaps you'll need to hold someone hostage either now or in the future?
kartracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #12
Speedbird

I built a dumbwaiter in my house,mainly for laundry. I was given a heavy duty garage door opener (one the has a belt driven pulley exposed on the side) that I started out to use, but then found a right angle speed reducer and motor that was easier for the space I had. If I had not found that, the opener would work.
Speedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
ThrowMeAPillow

Need help along this line.
I want to use a screw drive garage door opener (because they are relatively inexpensive and they alternate between up and down operation...) for the RAM on a shop press.

I am an upholsterer. The goal is to use an H frame shop press (usually rated for mega tons of hydraulic pressure) to squeeze the seat foam with a plywood base that make the seat of a dining or meeting type chair.

I will need something like 100 pounds pressure. (I usually have my wife stand on these but I need to begin a big project where I will be doing hundreds of these so I want an automated method that will give me uniform results)

all of the mechanisms will be enclosed. Only a ram will show. I will rig two handed operation so it will be safe (I believe in safety) but ironically, I need to override the safety parts on the garage door closer that cause the door to spring back at 15 pounds pressure... .
I will LEAVE the safety LIGHT... I am only concerned about getting adequate pressure

any ideas?
ThrowMeAPillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
AndyL

Gdo would be a pita, like you said bypassing the safety will be a problem, oh and that stripped gear issue...

Some 3/4" acme threaded rod, a bit of chain, 2 sprockets, NEMA 34 stepper, probably L293D driver circuit an arduino, and maybe a pressure switch (if you want repeatable pressure)... would work better
AndyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
rlitman

I'm guessing you want to compress the foam evenly, so you can staple the upholstery on all around.

I believe that is way beyond the force that a garage door open can apply.
The screw drives are simply not up to that task.

If you can design the press to use a short screw drive (, you can probably get away with using something like 5/8" allthread, and turning that with a big crank handle (or maybe an impact wrench if you're really lazy).
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #16
JamieK

I'm thinking an air operated pneumatic ram would be simpler and faster.

Or even better, you can get a 12 volt linear actuator thats rated for 100 (or more) pounds of force for around $100.
JamieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
kbs2244

I have seen one used just for the light.

He took off the track and disconnected the motor.
He now had a remote controlled, timed light.

With a cheap halogen light on the side of the garage aimed down the sidewalk toward the house and the light timer turned to max he could get between the garage and house in bright light.
He kept a remote by the house door to turn it on when going the other way.
In either direction it turned its self in about 90 seconds.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote