Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2009, 05:43 AM   #1
The Critic

Send a message via AIM to The Critic
Default Snap-On's Torque Wrench Repair Service

Out of curiosity, I called Snap-On's national headquarters for some quotes on torque wrench recalibration and repair.

The rep gave me the following info:

TECH2FR100 (3/8" Drive Techwrench)

Calibration only-- $38
Repair and Calibration-- $80

QD3R250 (1/2" drive click-type torque wrench)

Repair and Calibration-- $63

So, if I send my wrench to Snap-On for a "repair and calibration," do they perform a complete overhaul/rebuild of the wrench? Or will they only replace what is broken? Does anyone have any experience with Snap-On's torque wrench repair service?

Thanks!
The Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
APEowner

Default Re: Snap-On's Torque Wrench Repair Service

I used to send mine in every 6 months. If they can calibrate it as is then that's what they do. I don't know how much they replace if they need to do a repair. I suspect that it's just what they need to fix it. I once had one that they said they couldn't fix and they gave me a new unit for the repair/calibration price. I don't do as much stuff that uses a torque wrench now so I send them in every couple of years.

Hmm. Thinking about it, it's probably time to do that again.
APEowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
chadster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
Out of curiosity, I called Snap-On's national headquarters for some quotes on torque wrench recalibration and repair.

The rep gave me the following info:

TECH2FR100 (3/8" Drive Techwrench)

Calibration only-- $38
Repair and Calibration-- $80

QD3R250 (1/2" drive click-type torque wrench)

Repair and Calibration-- $63

So, if I send my wrench to Snap-On for a "repair and calibration," do they perform a complete overhaul/rebuild of the wrench? Or will they only replace what is broken? Does anyone have any experience with Snap-On's torque wrench repair service?

Thanks!
The repair is a flat rate price so they perform a complete rebuild from what I have seen.

Check out my thread in the classifieds for some great deals on some Genius Tool sets.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=254801
chadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
Builder302

Chad, do you have an address to send in? My 1/2" clicker broke tonight.
Builder302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
mkdive

I think its in his sig line?
Posted by TAMPAGT07
"I like my ratchets how I like my women, the more teeth the better".
Posted by stricht8
"When life is over as we know it there will be cockroaches eating Twinkies using craftsman RHFT ratchets."

mkdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
billymade

Call Snap-On customer service and they will arrange a repair ticket for you; they probably will have you send it to the closest repair depot nearest to your location!

http://buy1.snapon.com/snapon-store/customer.asp

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
Builder302

Thanks! I looked on their website, but must have missed it.
Builder302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
ricleh

My experience is that they repair what they think is broken. I sent one of my ATECH3FR250 in 3 times for repair. The first 2 times the wrench came back the problem reappeared. The 3rd time they replaced all the internal mechanism and that fixed the problem. It was under warranty so I did not have to pay anything, but the flat rate cost would have been $90 if it was not a warranty repair.
ricleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
mrshaun

it would be best to call before you send it in like someone said above.
the repair dept does an awesome job and the prices are fair....

Snap On ratchet repair tool SPP744
Holds the ball to the spring while installing new parts.

Old style track drawer removal tool 52638 ( remover)
thin little piece of metal used to release the latches on older snap on boxes.

Snap On Hard handles are back.
hard handle numbers thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...handle+numbers
If you have a ? email me, you will get a faster response than a PM.
mrshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
glenmore

Just this past weekend, I took a chance and bought a nice looking QC2FR75, 3/8", 5-75#, (1997). Of course you should be careful about buying a used torque wrench, but for $40 I couldn't resist. It looked little used, end cap intact (if that end cap is messed with it might mean the PO went rooting around in there). I noticed that there was very little resistance at the lowest setting. Also when resetting it to zero it would go past zero a little further than normal. I compared the wrench as best I could to two other wrenches and it read high, i.e. set at 50# and clicking on a bolt, the 2 other wrenches, set at 50#, tightened the bolt further before clicking.

I called Snap-On and they directed me to their western repair facility in Nevada. They said repair would be about $88. I found another place online and the cost was roughly the same, $35 for recalibrating and another $35 for adjusting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg braketools 009.JPG (131.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg braketools 011.JPG (135.9 KB, 36 views)
glenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
bgott

I just had my Snap-on man send one of mine in and it came back tagged as unrepairable, they said it had rust inside. I bought a return he had on the truck to replace it. I didn't get a discount or a new one for the repair price. What I'd like to know is how to get it apart so I can see this "rust". I took the nut off and removed the handle, everything so far looks great. There are two buttons that look like they should depress to remove the guts from the body. I can't get them to depress no matter what I try. Does anybody have any idea how this thing comes apart?
bgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
glenmore

I found these pictures that show what typical wrench innards might look like.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/torque_wrench/index.html

I have only gone as far as taking the end cap off. I was hoping that just the bottom nut might have been loose. Mine is still tight and I can see a snap ring holding everything in.
glenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
dimwittedmoose51

I contacted them last week about fixing my QJR-2100 Series A(early 70's??). They were quick with the response and said they would send a prepaid UPS label. I kept waiting for it and it never showed. I asked again and they replied that my situation was different and I'd have to send mine in at my expense, presumably that I didn't buy it from them.They did quote me a flat $60 to fix the stripped ratchet teeth and re-calibrate. BTW, I bought it and its original cardboard box and instructions for $20 at a local garage sale. Thought I got a hellava deal until I tried to use it...Still, with $80 invested. I could barely get a Craftsman new for that....

YMMV

DM&FS
dimwittedmoose51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
dimwittedmoose51

I'd REALLY like to find a bezel for my really old SO Torqometer model RT-1600. So far the Snappy Man can't come up with one, but his parts catalog doesn't have bezel diameter measurement specifications.

DM&FS
dimwittedmoose51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
Ridge Runner

Not a torque wrench, but as a comparison, here's my experience with their customer service. I bought a cordless impact in 2007 for personal use. 1.5-2 years later, the charger quit working. I called, explained my situation, and they said to include a letter and they'd try to help me out. I sent them a detailed letter explaining that the charger was always a little finicky, but since this was my first power tool, I thought maybe it was ok. I also let them know that I had used it no more than 10 times, mostly just removing wheels. They replaced my charger for me and also checked out my impact since oil leaks out from somewhere and accumulates around the nose when it sits for a while.

Granted, I would've been kinda ticked off if they had charged me, but I really appreciated their doing it all for free when under their policy they could have rightfully charged me. I think it also helped that my impact still looked new.
Ridge Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
el tanque prohibido
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimwittedmoose51 View Post
I'd REALLY like to find a bezel for my really old SO Torqometer model RT-1600. So far the Snappy Man can't come up with one, but his parts catalog doesn't have bezel diameter measurement specifications.

DM&FS
Call these people up, they might have one:

http://www.teamtorque.com/index.html
el tanque prohibido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
vssjim
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el tanque prohibido View Post
Call these people up, they might have one:

http://www.teamtorque.com/index.html
I send alot of wrenches to Tem Torque like the gent says above and I would rather have them do my wrenches after having them do. After having SO and other do them I like them best over all for quality and being very helpfull keeping old wrenches working not tossed out to scrap.
vssjim is offline   Reply With Quote