Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
6th Gear

Default 32x40 Pole Barn - shop / man cave

We bought our house about 16 months ago, it has a 20x20 garage. I had a list of repairs/improvements by the wife and once I got through those, I was free to build!
I've been on GJ for about a year now reading & absorbing hoping to have my own build in a few years... But business has been good and I've been working on the list and my wife wants to park in the 20x20 again this winter so there's a few reasons to start building earlier than planned!
I got to know the local amish and had them build a deck, which was the biggest thing on the wife's list. They did a great job and were good people to deal with - and cheap!

I had them price a 30x40 pole barn with a loft and it ended up being reasonably priced, but more than I wanted to spend, as we most likely won't be living here forever. So I ditched the loft and added 2 ft to the width for a 32x40 with 12' ceilings.

Here is the spot where the pole barn will go. I had to move the potting shed forward 6' and you can see where the bigger shed used to be, we moved it back a ways and 90 clockwise. We used a buddy's F250 to drag them
32' was as wide as I could go, 15' from property and 10' from septic.

The building is going to be the place where I store all my tools, JD318, a couple cars, and one corner is going to be the man cave. I plan to leave the inside open for the most part to keep it versatile. Depending on how things go, I may set up a photography studio for shooting vehicles in a year or two.

It will have radiant heat, electric & water and I would like to drywall but most of those may have to wait until $$ permits. I am getting the pex/slab installed this year though.

What I do for a living: http://6thGearAdvertising.com
6th Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
6th Gear

Default Re: 32x40 Pole Barn - shop / man cave

The amish showed up to start digging the post holes...

I don't think they were expecting my clay to be so hard with all the rain we had been getting...

things took longer than expected and they were out EARLY the next morning. I woke up and they were already going!

I got home from work that day to find all the holes ready for inspection.
It was Columbus day so I couldn't schedule till Tues morning. They were approved Wed.

Posts started going up Thursday

I saw this friday when i got home from work!
As you may know, the amish don't use equipment or electricity. They have someone come in if they need that stuff done. They know a guy down the road with a lift who was free on friday. They only use gas tools, a gas powered table saw and a chain saw.

Saturday morning... the last day of the cold rainy weather we have been getting here. I give these guys tons of credit, they work hard and never complain so I keep them well fed and have a cooler full of pop at all times. They love mountain dew!

By end of the day saturday, they had the roof papered and the walls mostly done.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
6th Gear

Today was the first nice day we have had in a while... 50's and sunny. Here's some closer pics of the building.

You can see that the 8' door on the back was moved 4' away from the center. This was in an earlier set of plans to get some more space for a pool table in the 'man area'

their table saw

The only thing I found that I didn't like. The cut on the outer osb was a little wavy and leaves a gap 1" at the widest part.

I went with a 5/12 truss for some usable attic storage.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Old61

Coming along nicely! Can you get a few more pics of their table saw?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #5
Motown 454

They do some beautiful work.
Motown 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:18 AM   #6
Lippyp

Damn, nice work, we could do with some Amish people over here, I guess it'd take them too long to paddle their way across the atlantic though!
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
6th Gear

Yeah they would have to charge for travel Might take them a while to get there. I live right down the road from them, so I saved a lot of $$$ because of that. They said price goes up for the amount of time/distance they have to travel. If I lived about 20 miles away, they said it would have been about $800 more. That would mean they would need to leave their house an hour and a half earlier... like 4am! They don't have a problem starting that early though. I feel like a lazy pos around them

Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
67restoproj

Nice shop! Im always impressed with anything hand built or with limited use of power tools. Keep us posted.....
Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
6th Gear

Here's some more pics of the amish table saw:

Old 10-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
6th Gear

I got home from work one night last week to see 3 HUGE piles of concrete/gravel mix

The next day it was all leveled out, they had a guy come in w/ a bob cat to do it.

He also took all the extra dirt from the post holes out of the barn and piled it out back.

I took some pics yesterday:

There was enough extra to extend the gravel driveway to the barn which really made me happy. I figured I would be mudding through the grass until next year when we could have the driveway done.

Siding and shingles are supposed to go on this week!

Old 10-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
diggertodd

Yeah, at $3.00 per gallon their fuel surcharge could get tough with the extra travel miles... no... wait, their using horses...hmmm... oats surcharge?

but seriously folks (grabbing my necktie)

Is Amish construction cheaper/more expensive than traditional quotes. No need for specific numbers, just if they are higher or lower?
diggertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #12
6th Gear

I found that they are much cheaper. For our deck, I got quotes anywhere from $6-7000 to $12,000 for composite, complete.
I drew a picture, the amish made a materials list and had the lumber company give me the total. Their labor estimate for the deck was $1500, the materials cost me $4700.
I went to pay them cash (and found out they can take checks) and they said "Oh the labor was less, only $975"
Maybe they gave me a discount for keeping them well fed!

This building is $15,800, that price includes everything you see so far - the gravel too, the pex + install, the concrete (4.5" slab) vinyl siding, owens corning shingles, insulated doors, 4 windows... pretty much everything except insulation, the rest of the heating system, and they don't touch electrical.
I would have not been able to get the building this year if they were not building it. As with anything though, there's good amish builders and there's bad ones... I'm lucky the ones near me are good builders.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
diggertodd

Well from one gearhead ad agency to another... looks great, Thanks for the education on Amish building... I had never thought about the electrical wiring thing....

Last edited by diggertodd; 10-27-2009 at 09:15 PM.
diggertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
6th Gear

Here's how I plan on fitting everything inside

edit: the attachment script really shrunk the pic down... I'll host and post it again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (8.8 KB, 700 views)

Old 10-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
6768rogues

Very nice. The only thing I would have done differently is to enclose the walls before the roof. If the sides are open and the roof sheathed, it creates an airplane wing and an unexpected windstorm can lift the roof right off. You got it enclosed without any problems, so it worked out well.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #16
Nostraquedeo

So, anything put in place that needs cut, gets done with a hand saw then? I have just about every tool, but not sure I even own a handsaw. If I do, I don't know where to find it. So how to they go about cutting the sheeting for the windows. Some sort of handmade drill to create a hole big enough to get a small handsaw in? What a PITA way to do things. I am pretty anti-techno, but I do appreciate tools that make life easier.....Props to them!
Nostraquedeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #17
6th Gear

I'm betting they will do the windows/man door with a chain saw, but also curious to see.

Here's how I plan on laying out the inside. I thought about diving the back half to keep the dirty area and the man area separate, but that would really limit the use of the garage in other ways. The building faces west and we have a breeze pretty much every day where we live. (only ran the air twice this year!)
So the plan is to open up the back 8' door and have a nice wind through the shop to carry through dirt, sawdust etc through and out of the back corner. On nice days, I'll roll the table saw, welder etc to the slab outside the 8x8 door and do all my dirty work outside.

I'm keeping the space as wide open as possible because I may be using it as a photography studio shooting vehicles, but not for another year or so. That's why I went with the 12' ceilings.

People say build it as big as you need, then add a little more.
32x40 is big enough for now and the near future. After seeing how big this building is, I can't imagine having gone with a 32x48'. That extra 8' would have been really nice but this size is already looking like a monster behind our house! I'm just going to have to learn how to use my available space better and actually try not to collect as much car parts (or as my wife says, junk) but that's what the attic is for!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #18
Jeepskate

Very nice. I should've had the Amish build mine...I could've afforded to finish my heating system and buy a lift. I'm at about $30k before electrical (had an extra $3k or so in site prep since I ended up building on a slope due to zoning restrictions, I went 15' on the wall height, and I ran my roof the other way so my trusses were a bit more expensive...I also entertained doing a loft until I saw the truss prices for that). The guy had the holes done & inspected and about a third of the posts set the first day, but your guys were passing him up by day three. Slow, slow, slow. They'd show up around 7:30-8:00 and leave around 5:00-5:30 (usually left earlier on Fridays).
Jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #19
viper522

I think the Civic and the Mustang are gonna wrassle...
viper522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #20
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
I think the Civic and the Mustang are gonna wrassle...
you wouldn't think it... but the civic would win!
here's what will be in the garage:

I've been the civic for a while now and just finished the turbo setup this summer. It's only tuned to 5200 rpm right now, and it already scares me

The mustang has your basic I/H/E, lots of suspension goodies, shifter, a little exterior... but it weighs almost twice as much as the civic and it's too nice to cut into, so it's more the car I go somewhere nice with the wife in. She won't ride in the civic and hates it more than anything else I own

Old 10-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #21
honda-boy

Civic for the win

Really nice shop your building man

Wish we had room to build something simular here but when you see the prices for a piece of land here you need to be sitting down
honda-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #22
6th Gear

updates!

insulation down

Pex tubing layed over the insulation

Concrete truck came on Dec 15th

Then I had to wait 10 days for it to cure. I was out of town so I waited 15 days.

Then they got the shingles on.

And it snowed....

Then siding, cold weather doesn't slow them down a bit.

Door seals...

And it's all done! It passed inspection a few days later.

Our driveway is a mess! The yard has a lot of sitting water around the building & driveway. That's gonna have to wait till spring.

All moved in! Well, for now... I'm keeping as much as I can at my parent's place & in my basement until I get everything done on the interior.
I'm going with OSB on the walls. White sheet metal on the ceiling, and galvanized sheet metal for the bottom 4' of the walls (kind of like Chipotle has)
I'm going to order everything this week because prices go up in a couple of weeks. Then I'll be doing the electric & plumbing in the meantime.
I'm not going to bother with the heating for now... It's going to be warming up in a couple months, so I'll have 6 months to look around for a deal on a water heater.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #23
gts340

I would love to have a garage like that. Yours looks very nice, I'm jealous.
gts340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #24
Brad Beam

Did they actually take the sod off, or did they just put the stone on top of the grass?
Brad Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #25
nolatoolguy
Banned

Looks good, ide love to have that
nolatoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #26
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Beam View Post
Did they actually take the sod off, or did they just put the stone on top of the grass?
On top of the grass/clay

Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #27
Dano5509

Very nice building...Thanks for posting the pics and I hope you put up more as you continue to move in/finish it off.
Dano5509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #28
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Nice Garage. SInce you have a Mustang and from Akron, surprised you're not on Buckeye Stangs.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #29
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTTSGT View Post
Nice Garage. SInce you have a Mustang and from Akron, surprised you're not on Buckeye Stangs.
I'm on there

No new progress on the pole barn, except sheet metal for ceiling & walls arrived this week
Prices go up around the 3rd week of Feb, so I wanted to order in time.

I took a break from the garage to build a snow cave

built it from snow on our driveway

inside

labatt never tasted so good!

The plan is to keep building it bigger until I can have people over to drink cold ones in my snow cave

Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #30
debrights

very nice. are you gonna paint or stain the osb? I am gonna search to see chipotle's. That is how I have been considering doing mine, and staining the osb
debrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #31
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th Gear View Post

labatt never tasted so good!
Canadian Beer!!!!

A+
Terry
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #32
6th Gear

Not planning on painting the OSB, I like the look of a build on here called "Texas Salt Box"
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...tbox&showall=1

Old 02-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #33
klogan121

Quote:
Not planning on painting the OSB, I like the look of a build on here called "Texas Salt Box"
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...tbox&showall=1

Are you insulating before you put up the osb? In between the purlins? How about the ceiling? Up here in MI Home Depot has a sale of R-29 rolls of fiberglass insulation 15" wide x 25' long unfaced for $9.97! I stocked up for my ceiling.
klogan121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #34
6th Gear

Yeah, the local supplier sells some 4' wide rolls just for pole barns. R19 6" thick. I'll probably do R19 in the ceiling too, I want to put some flooring in the attic so the insulation can't be too thick up there.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #35
6th Gear

it's been a while... work has been getting in the way of my project.

Ceiling is all up!

Also dug a trench and water & electric is installed.
I ran an extra conduit for cable/internet/alarm.

Next I'm going to finish the floor

Old 01-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #36
6th Gear

I'm a slacker in keeping this updated... but still working on finishing the garage!

Here's some pics of the progress...

ceiling is done, next came the floor

I had found a deal on some used t8 lights on craigslist. They were all pulled from an old 84 Lumber warehouse, but had been upgraded to newer ballasts.

This was in October, so everything wasn't moved in for winter storage yet.

I got around to finishing the radiant heat setup before it got too cold. It's amazing how efficient this heat is!

Then I got the insulation up asap since it was getting cold...

and everything came in for winter lol.

Moving everything around as I worked on the walls... Insulation & vapor barrier, then 7/16" OSB

I just finished doing the blown in for the attic and now I can be out there working for a few hours and not even have the heat kick on once!

I also sold one of my civics and bought a new toy...

[IMG][/IMG]
I've been looking for a decent Toyota pickup for a year and a half and so many up here are rusted through. I found this '85 on ebay, turns out the owner only lived 2 miles from my house! It was meant to be

[IMG][/IMG]
It's been pretty useful so far (that's the Atticat insulation blower for the attic)
but my wife hates it

In the first truck pic, you can see I have the vapor barrier up and I'm currently in the process of putting up 7/16" OSB sheets. Then I need to build some cabinets and it will be complete!

Last edited by 6th Gear; 01-25-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #37
jktruck150

Looks great!

"It's so overt, it's covert!" - Sherlock Holmes
jktruck150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #38
NickWheeler

Wow, that's REALLY nice!!!

I see in the last photo you got the concrete apron/approach put in.

I really love how you're finishing this out... will be SUCH a nice space!!!

Wish we had Amish folks here in Washington to do a build like that, you couldn't even dream of a price like that for everything around here.
NickWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #39
Re-Volv

This is a great build! Can you give us some more info on the radiant heat?

You said the PEX was included in the price from your builders, how much was the heater and other components to finish out the system? How is it working in a garage with just radiant heat?

What do you expect the total cost to come in at once you include finishing the heating system and doing electrical etc?
Re-Volv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #40
jakeb

Can you show some better pictures of how you put the insulation in the walls? I have a pole building and want to add insulation and then drywall and some wall cabinets but debating how to go about doing it. Either build a stud wall inside the poles or what.... I don't want to put the girts on the inside of the poles because I will loose a few inches all the way around.

nice looking building!
what sort of power does the civic put down?
jakeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #41
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Volv View Post
This is a great build! Can you give us some more info on the radiant heat?

You said the PEX was included in the price from your builders, how much was the heater and other components to finish out the system? How is it working in a garage with just radiant heat?

What do you expect the total cost to come in at once you include finishing the heating system and doing electrical etc?
Their quote included the pex but I got 5/8" pex in the kit I ordered from Radiantec. So I had them put that $$$ for the pex toward underslab insulation. I went with "The Barrier", the thicker stuff they make, despite mixed viewpoints on here. I'm very happy with the cost (around $700) and performance of it.

I don't recall the exact amount I paid for all the radiant heat materials... I ordered the kit back in late 09. I just got the Takagi Jr tankless a few months ago and it was $500 (or was it $599) I wanna say all of the rest of the components from Radiantec was around $1200.

Figure the copper & gas lines + fittings + stainless exhaust were another couple hundred.

We just switched over to natural gas from propane and our bill has been about $50/mo to heat the garage AND our house so far
Lets see it since the weather got colder last month...

as far as cost of electrical... I'd have to add up about 15 receipts.
Lights were $340 on CL. I forget what the 64 bulbs were...
12/2 wire was ~$250
THen all the boxes, outlets, covers , panel etc...

I don't like to think about how much I had to spend on a project. Instead I look for ways to make more $$ for the next project

I do know that all the insulation was about $750 because I just added up the receipts for a rebate.

With the exception of building some cabinets, I'm done spending $$ on the building. Pretty much everything else I'll want to do on the inside I've been collecting for free or dirt cheap on CL.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #42
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post
Can you show some better pictures of how you put the insulation in the walls? I have a pole building and want to add insulation and then drywall and some wall cabinets but debating how to go about doing it. Either build a stud wall inside the poles or what.... I don't want to put the girts on the inside of the poles because I will loose a few inches all the way around.

nice looking building!
what sort of power does the civic put down?
I'll look for some close up pics, but it's pretty simple. The space between the posts & studs was perfect width for 3 columns of 15" R19. In the corners the space between posts/studs was slightly less, so one 24" roll and one 15" roll fit perfect. I used 2x6" for the studs and made them flush with the posts. You'll want to have more studs than I did if you're doing drywall. Might even be easier if you build an 8' section of wall studs and then put them in between the posts and nail them to the posts.
For OSB though, the 4' span between posts/studs was ok.

The civic is still in need of a good dyno tune, so no power #'s yet. I'm shooting for 250 whp

Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #43
Willie Fetter

Hey I've been following your build it looks great any updates??? I'm planning to build this spring. I want a 40x60 with a divider but in reality I feel I can only afford to build a 32x40 for now.then later down the road build the other half. Can't wait and thanks for sharing your build.
Willie Fetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #44
glassgarden99

Quick question, my husband and I live in Southeast Ohio and have been researching companies to build a garage/pole barn in a few months. We are interested in a garage about 20x40 with a loft for an art studio. I live in an area that has many amish around but don't know how to reach them. If this is in your area is there a possibility to get their information. I have had rediculous quotes ($40,000+) I'm looking to spend between $15-18,000. Does this seem possible? I have no clue on who to trust. Anyone have suggestions on what to watch out for?
glassgarden99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #45
Got-Busa?

Nice setup 6thGear!

What part of Ohio are you in?
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #46
OBNXIOUS

Nice shop! Looking forward to seeing the mancave when you get to it!
OBNXIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #47
6th Gear

Long time with no updates...
I finished insulating and put up OSB:

Then painted with Killz and put up some old kitchen cabinets, some old mirrors, tv, counter & sink - all of which I have collected for free over the years!

Here's a pic I took before I threw a garage party a few weeks ago.

It's turning out exactly how I wanted, 3/4 garage and 1/4 man cave = good place to hang out and get stuff done.

Here's what the front half looks like:
[IMG][/IMG]

I'm parting out the white truck and repairing the red one so lately the garage has been a mess like this:
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 6th Gear; 01-25-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #48
rickairmedic

Looks like a nice ( and well used ) space . Glad I ran into this as I plan " hopefully " in a couple of years to do a 35X45 addition and your space gives me an idea of the size inside I will be going 35 wide and 45 deep so pretty close to your layout.

Rick
rickairmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #49
StevenB

Send a message via Yahoo to StevenB

Whats the typical beam OC for a pole barn? 16"?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #50

Nice looking JD 318 as well. Are you on the MTF forum?
383 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #51
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

It came out looking nice, well used too.

My garage refurb thread.

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #52
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383 View Post
Nice looking JD 318 as well. Are you on the MTF forum?
I've been there a couple of times when I was having some issues with my JD, no problems lately though. I love this mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
Whats the typical beam OC for a pole barn? 16"?
It varies depending on the design I suppose. My trusses are 24" but my neighbor's are much wider, 36" or 48". I have a shingle roof though while his is metal. I also planned on using my attic for storage and it's full of parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickairmedic View Post
I will be going 35 wide and 45 deep so pretty close to your layout.
Go bigger! I already find myself withing I had 8' more length. But in the end you learn to manage the space you have and it only means you can't hoard as much as you'd like- probably a good thing.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #53
HalbertBros.Racing

Quote:
you wouldn't think it... but the civic would win!
here's what will be in the garage:

I've been the civic for a while now and just finished the turbo setup this summer. It's only tuned to 5200 rpm right now, and it already scares me

The mustang has your basic I/H/E, lots of suspension goodies, shifter, a little exterior... but it weighs almost twice as much as the civic and it's too nice to cut into, so it's more the car I go somewhere nice with the wife in. She won't ride in the civic and hates it more than anything else I own
What lowering springs and wheels are on the mustang? looks great building and car.
HalbertBros.Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #54
6th Gear

thanks! Jamex progressive rate springs and Fittipaldi 18x9 Tubolare.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #55
6th Gear

Well it's been a while...
I have not done much new to the garage, just done work in it.

Took what I needed from the 86 4x4 and pushed it out side and parted it out

Dragging what's left of the 86 to scrap yard (kicked the wheels of when I got there) And got a good deal on an 87 4x4 to part out.

I fixed the frame on my 85 yota and got the 86 motor in it, then parted out the 86.

Got the 85 ready to do some offroading in Wellsville, OH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdV2g...ure=plpp_video

and a kitty showed up so I adopted her and she lives in the garage now.

Last edited by 6th Gear; 04-10-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #56
6th Gear

And the cat couldn't have shown up at a better time.... In the fall i was seeing a lot of HUGE black spiders:

I killed them with a torch and noticed that the bodies were disappearing...
Mice were gathering my cooked spiders and collecting them under the fridge!

the 86 going to scrap!

After I scrapped the 86, I got an 87 4x4 for its fiberglass bed:

And I can be kneeling on the floor beating the hell out of something with a BFH and this cat will jump right into my lap!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #57
i8tokyo

Location: south of Somewhere but not close enough to a Saint Somewhere

shop cats rock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1106011811a.jpg (61.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 12-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #58
synik

Great cave! Thanks for sharing. How is the floor holding up to your standards?
synik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #59
6th Gear

The floor is doing alright with some normal wear & tear from use where I work on vehicles. I'm probably a little rough on it. The worst thing is dropping a socket or lug nut from a few feet. That's usually a guaranteed chip in the floor.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #60
redman333

Nice garage. You really like to Frankenstein vehicles don't you?
redman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #61
K2Orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Beam View Post
I saw the rock on the grass and thought the same thing. They should have peeled the topsoil off. But I'm sure it will tighten up. Going to leave it rock or pour an apron?

Shop looks awesome. Great place to hang and work.

Done any photo shoots in there yet?
K2Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #62
impala_631

Looking great,I've got a very similar 30x40 that is going through a mancave/shop transformation right now,I can't wait to Get it close to "finished"
impala_631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #63
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Orion View Post
Going to leave it rock or pour an apron?

Done any photo shoots in there yet?
We did get the apron pored the next year

And funny thing is no I'm not even close to using the space for photography. With vehicles, projects, finishing the garage etc... I'm nowhere close

Old 01-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #64
unomystz

nice shop/man cave man... nice civic as well. I rock a boosted EP myself.
unomystz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #65
6th Gear

It's going to be for sale soon..
I have a daughter on the way
I'll miss the car buy I'm ready for something with heat, sound deadening, a little more suspension travel... most likely a 4 door Integra

Old 01-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #66
cnyeco1

Quote:
And the cat couldn't have shown up at a better time.... In the fall i was seeing a lot of HUGE black spiders:

I killed them with a torch and noticed that the bodies were disappearing...
Mice were gathering my cooked spiders and collecting them under the fridge!

the 86 going to scrap!

After I scrapped the 86, I got an 87 4x4 for its fiberglass bed:

And I can be kneeling on the floor beating the hell out of something with a BFH and this cat will jump right into my lap!
You're a good man for taking that cat in. THANK YOU. My wife and I have adopted 5 strays and I took one into my garage. Pain sometimes but they keep the house and shop clean of bugs and mice.
cnyeco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #67
6th Gear

We found 4, found homes for 2 of those, then found another one less than 2 weeks old and brought him back to health and kept him (best cat ever) for a total of 3 inside cats and now this one shows up. We're maxed out with 4 total now because this cat will fight every other animal that comes near the garage/house.
I have not seen any more mice or any evidence of mice since we got this cat though
She's a great garage cat except I caught her on the mustang 3 times! If I leave the hood open it helps. I still found cat prints on the trunk though.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #68
64dragnwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8tokyo View Post
shop cats rock
Agreed, I got a shop cat for my used car lot to control the mouse problem and have NEVER seen any sign of a mouse since then.
64dragnwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #69
6th Gear

Wow, almost a year since last update!!
I noticed that most of the previous pics were no longer linked... I re-hosted and linked most of them - still have a few more to find.

I have a 7 mo old daughter now.
I've also decided to sell the civic I drove it maybe 3 times last year... just don't have the time that I used to.
I bought an 06 Acura TSX for a family-mobile and it has been a great car.

Well here is how the garage is coming along...

Fall 2012. When we had all the flooding in early 2012, I found those Cerwin Vegas sitting on the curb by someone's trash! They must have gotten wet sitting in someone's basement because they reeked of mildew when I took the speakers out to let them dry, but they sound great! The Matco sign might look familiar to anyone who has a Matco Tools Calendar. I think it was the 2009 Calendar that had the sign in the background of the shots. It was a one-off creation for the photo shoot.

Actually, almost EVERYTHING in the man corner was free.
- Cabinets, counter, sink were all free from two kitchens I gutted.
- Bar was built from scrap wood.
- 32" TV was free because it had fallen off a shelf and wouldn't turn on. (turns out the power button just needed pushed back out)
- 19" CRT Sony monitor was free
- G4 Power Mac was free
- mirrors were free from a store remodeling
- Budweiser sign was dad's
- Matco sign was free/barter for hauling some stuff with my truck
- Shiner banner = gift
- the 1/2 beer fridge was free if I hauled it away
- Sony stereo & sofa were given when I helped a friend move

Even on a very tight budget, things came together nicely.

The only things I purchased were:
- 4" casters $20
- barstools $10/ea on CL
- Halogen Ikea lights above sink $10
- pool table was $100 + traded a trampoline (that I got for free)
- lights above pool table were also from Ikea - $15 ea I think...

We have Clev. Browns gatherings sometimes on Sunday afternoons but usually switch to playing NES by 4th quarter because they're losing so bad.

The bar is on 4" locking casters so it can be pushed up against the wall in case I need the room for a project.

Construction of the bar and a messy garage.

Furniture 8)

These are older pics, I have some recent ones on my phone I'll get online soon.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #70
Bullock

black wheels would look good on the civic. nice car.
Bullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #71
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullock View Post
black wheels would look good on the civic. nice car.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #72
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman333 View Post
Nice garage. You really like to Frankenstein vehicles don't you?
Frankenstein is fun... Here's some of the other stuff we work on:

Helped a friend fix & flip a TT he got a deal on

always messing with my civic...

then there was the Zombie Accord... full build thread:http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=24907
video of the accord competing in the County Fair Rough Truck competition:
http://youtu.be/v2OCB_pnviA

friend's Suzuki Sidekick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmqNQimS8xw

a friend's E39 (I love this car and want an excuse to own an E39 Touring wagon one day)

Dirty Birdy aka Thunder Turd - 88 T-bird Turbo Coupe sleeper with a t3/t4 turbo and plenty of flaking clear coat & rust.

I'd love to find a way to make a living doing this stuff... wrenchin' with friends and building cool and/or ghetto shit

edit: oh there was the Dodge Dakota which really turned into more of a day of drinking and pranking our friend with temporary spray paint on his truck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I0gKq3leno

With a daughter & working all the time, there aren't too many cool projects going on in the garage lately... mostly just storing vehicles for winter.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #73
TeamTruett

Smile Re: 32x40 Pole Barn - shop / man cave

When is the 2 post lift going in, looks like you need one
TeamTruett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #74
6th Gear

Someone asked me about the bar so I thought I'd post more pics of it.
Many people would put a bar in their basement, but our basement has already been finished. That's why the pool table is in the pole barn, so it makes since to build a bar next to it in "man corner".
I don't have any pics of the construction, as I was in a hurry to build it for a party. I had a lot of scrap wood, although nothing for a nice finished bar top at the time. (you can see the base of the frame being built and the unfinished top a few posts back)

First I glued 3/4" plywood to the flimsy 7/16" osb that was serving as a temporary top.

That's a 6' piece of plexi leaning against the fridge. The idea was to put the plexi over the urethane coated plywood, then a darker contrasting wood on both ides. (6' is the longest sheet of plexiglass, bar is 9' long - to give 3 people plenty of elbow room)
The dark wood would be 1/8" thick to sit flush with the plexiglass.

I didn't get any pics of the rest of the construction... but here is the final product. We also put a chair rail trim around the perimeter.

Testing it out right after completion:

Since I'm a photographer, the idea behind the plexiglass is that I can put some of my pics under it:

I put it on locking casters because I want to keep it mobile, in case I ever need to stuff another project in here.

I kept the back open for storage and NES

I didn't want to have a huge space behind the bar and I didn't want to have the bar area extend too far out into the rest of the shop. So I built the bar to 'slide' over the corner of the counter.

When/if I need the space, I can rotate it 90 and push it up to the wall.

Eventually, I'm going to put metal on the face and nicer wood trim on the bottom boards.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #75
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

The place looks great since I last checked in. A great place to work and a better place to hang out. . . . . Browns losing ? Nah, say it isn't true.

Since you have white faced cabinets in the garage and you mentioned putting metal on the front of the bar, are you using white metal siding, like something used on a enclosed car trailer ?

My garage refurb thread.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #76
KayakUSA11

NICE. I'm planning a 30x40x10 with trusses carried out 14-16' for a carport/general use area. You have provided me some good ideas.
LOOKING for a similar crew/package. Plan to start in April.
Do your people have any connections this way? Perhaps from the Kenton area?
I'm building near Richwood, Ohio.
KayakUSA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #77
TeamTruett

Can I/we see a pic of the attic space? Were the attic trusses much more expensive?
TeamTruett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #78
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakUSA11 View Post
NICE. I'm planning a 30x40x10 with trusses carried out 14-16' for a carport/general use area. You have provided me some good ideas.
I might be able to get you a phone number for a guy in your area. If I forget, send me a PM to remind me.

My garage refurb thread.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #79
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTTSGT View Post
Since you have white faced cabinets in the garage and you mentioned putting metal on the front of the bar, are you using white metal siding, like something used on a enclosed car trailer ?
I was thinking the exterior building sheet metal, like what I have on the ceiling. I actually have that in a galvanized finish to cover the bottom 4' of the walls. I just have not had the time to get to it. (I've had the metal for 2 yrs now - maybe I'll put that up this year!)
I did put up a couple pieces before I put up the radiant heat:

Old 04-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #80
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakUSA11 View Post
The crew that build mine only travel up to 20 mi from home to build. It takes too long to go far in a horse/buggy.

Best start is to talk to people in your area with pole barns. Someone will know someone who knows some good amish builders.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #81
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTruett View Post
Can I/we see a pic of the attic space? Were the attic trusses much more expensive?
I'll snap a pic of the attic... It's pretty full of stuff. After abandoning plans for a 2-story gambrel truss type pole barn (cost almost twice as much), I went to this plan which had attic trusses from the beginning - never had non-attic trusses in the quote. I definitely wanted the storage space.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #82
saceone

That video of you guys busting your friends nuts is the reason why I think we like our garages. That video is the perfect visual representation of why we enjoy spending time in there and what it means to us . Three thumbs up
saceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #83
6th Gear

Quote:
I've got them on my phone... need to get them onto my computer & online. Not much to see up there really... just a bunch of car parts. I'll get them up.

In the meantime, Here's some older pics from earlier this year I forgot I had put online:

I had just got the peg board up behind the workbench and started to hang some stuff.
The yellow Weatherhead storage cabinets on the far right were stacked 3 high on metal legs but I took them apart and hung them to gain floor space.

Yota actually clean. I try not to drive it in the salt anymore, when possible.

Metal cubicle cabinets above the pegboard.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #84
6th Gear

Mustang being tucked away before winter.

That's a thick car cover, sheets of plastic and styrofoam sheets on top to deter the cat from jumping on the car. Pulled the cover off a month ago and she still managed to scratch up the front fender

Old 12-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #85
extremesounds13

I'm curious why did you use OSB on the entire outside of the pole barn, most people just use metal? I actually like the OSB idea because you were able to side it and use a shingled roof too. Do you think it would of been cheaper to stick frame it or do you think a pole barn was still cheaper? Also do you think the OSB helped insulate any better versus just metal sheeting?
extremesounds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #86
mrgm

nice place! in for the updates
mrgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #87
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremesounds13 View Post
I'm curious why did you use OSB on the entire outside of the pole barn, most people just use metal? I actually like the OSB idea because you were able to side it and use a shingled roof too. Do you think it would of been cheaper to stick frame it or do you think a pole barn was still cheaper? Also do you think the OSB helped insulate any better versus just metal sheeting?
I went with OSB on the outside because housewrap and siding was going over it. Metal exterior is definitely cheaper, but my wife said the pole barn had to match the rest of the house (she's a city folk).

Pole barn is still cheaper for me than block foundation/stick because I would have had to go with a contractor for the stick build and they're about 1.5 to 2x as expensive as the local Amish.

The OSB vs. metal siding probably helps a little bit with insulating I'm sure, but the R19 insulation I put in the walls is what did the trick. Also there's vapor barrier and another layer of OSB on the inside, so it's very well insulated.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #88
6th Gear

Quote:
Just now remembered I had this pic of the attic:

I don't know the exact amount of the attic trusses, since they were part of the overall package, but they were more expensive. Not too bad, I think it was less than $1k. When I look at all of the storage I have up there, it's definitely worth it.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #89
6th Gear

Also, I had some comments on some of my youtube videos where viewers wanted to know more about the garage, so I made a video tour:

Part 1 http://youtu.be/TqCT-Dy6UyM

Part 2 http://youtu.be/9jlS360Jg9o

enjoy

Old 09-20-2014, 04:06 AM   #90
sean Buick 76

I really like how you had this done on a moderate budget! I also like the Toy!!
2008 Santa Fe
1975 Regal
2014 Mustang GT

Making do with what I have:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=238537
sean Buick 76 is offline   Reply With Quote