Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
tpolley

Default does anyone honor old kmart hand tools?

does anyone honor old kmart hand tools? just curious, i've heard of some other companies warrantying tools from defunct tool companies.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
Thumper

Default Re: does anyone honor old kmart hand tools?

Try your local Kmart. They sell Craftsman now....who knows they may swap it out.

"Galloping cats ??.....oh hell no !!"
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
Nealcrenshaw

You bought tools from Kmart???? and want someone to warranty them?

You're wasting your time.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
Danglerb

My Kmart branded socket set says lifetime satisfaction warranty.

OTOH they might want a receipt.
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Red Green

I got a Benchtop ratchet warrantied at Kmart but it was a very time consuming operation. If I was working(seasonal) at the time it wouldn't have been worth the time and effort. I ended up getting a store gift card for the value of the ratchet.

"Unlike love respect can't be bought" H. Simpson
Red Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
FNFS2000

warranty is a joke in general, who has the time to keep trading out tools, just buy something that lasts a few years of pro use and be happy not to trade it out with the idiots at the checkout stands.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
rsanter

wait till someone really pisses you off, then take it in and ask for warranty
that way you will already be prepaired for a fight...

bob
Old 11-07-2009, 03:01 AM   #8
chromemoly

I did not know that K-town had there own line of hand tools, although I do have a old shotgun that says "Montgomery Ward" on it.....wonder if its warrantied?
Old 11-07-2009, 06:08 AM   #9
Joe B.

I would start with the contact info below. Explain the situation to them and ask how to proceed. Just realize that you might need to escalate to a manager to figure this out. If that does not work try the warranty question page on Sears.com.

Some of the Kmart tools were not that bad stuff from Japan. They were not Snap On but they were not junk.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/nb_10151_...mail?adCell=W4
Contact Us

Have a question? Have a great suggestion? Want to compliment one of our associates? Or make a comment about our Website? WE'RE HERE TO HELP!

Phone:
To reach the Contact Center for Kmart.com, call 1-866-KMART-4U (1-866-562-7848), from 6 a.m. to 12 a.m. (CT) Monday - Sunday.

E-Mail:
E-Mail us with questions or comments.
help@customerservice.kmart.com
Joe B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
wantedabiggergarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Green View Post
I got a Benchtop ratchet warrantied at Kmart but it was a very time consuming operation. If I was working(seasonal) at the time it wouldn't have been worth the time and effort. I ended up getting a store gift card for the value of the ratchet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B. View Post
I would start with the contact info below. Explain the situation to them and ask how to proceed. Just realize that you might need to escalate to a manager to figure this out. If that does not work try the warranty question page on Sears.com.

Some of the Kmart tools were not that bad stuff from Japan. They were not Snap On but they were not junk.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/nb_10151_...mail?adCell=W4
Contact Us

Have a question? Have a great suggestion? Want to compliment one of our associates? Or make a comment about our Website? WE'RE HERE TO HELP!

Phone:
To reach the Contact Center for Kmart.com, call 1-866-KMART-4U (1-866-562-7848), from 6 a.m. to 12 a.m. (CT) Monday - Sunday.

E-Mail:
E-Mail us with questions or comments.
help@customerservice.kmart.com
I am going through several days posts (sorry).
Red Green went through it before. As I have one Benchtop ratchet from when I was still in high school (long, long ago), I asked him for the info. (I saved it)
"The number is 800-434-8438 and the Lady I talked to was Keyara."
Old 11-21-2009, 02:26 AM   #11
Danglerb

My set of Kmart sockets, thinking I bought them middle 70's. Click the pict to read the unlimited satisfaction warranty from Kmart. Socket are stamped Kmart Japan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1797.jpg (127.5 KB, 308 views)
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
Kev442

The very last Benchtop tools before the Sears merger into Craftsman was some pretty nice stuff. My wife grabbed a mixed bag ratchet and socket baggie that they probably were using for warranty claims, missing about 4 sockets.(for like 8 bucks) I like the Benchtop ratchet better than my Craftsman. Whenever I grab it from the pile, I have found myself stopping and looking at it to see what I grabbed, it's that noticeable.
Kev442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
sberry

Quote:

I got to kind of go with this. I have a fair amount of cheap end wrenches. They are affordable to have available, proliferation I believe is what they call that. In reality they are warranted but out of the dozens, probably hundreds I really broke a half a dozen and of the ones I recall most were being used as backup for continuous (hundreds) of cycles in conjunction with impact, small ones at that. 9/16 mostly. (not to mention I recycled them into another tool) But at that point a 1.50 wrench had served its purpose and didn't owe me a thing. Disposable to some extent.
I happened to buy a few hand tools from Grant then Kmart when I was a kid, must have been 10 or so in early 70's, was the only Box store around. I think I still got a few sockets and end wrenches that are in service.
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #14
sberry

I know some of you guys are fussy about hand tools but it is a real issue with me too. My environment is slightly different than a shop auto mechanic or hobby type where the work area is confined to dome extent. We have large auto/truck/tractor/welding shop and a 2 or 3 service trucks, multiple buildings, tractors, golf carts etc.
End wrenches, adjustable, pliers, screwdrivers, 5/16 nut drivers are stables as well as utility knife and tape measure. Cheap pliers have their place but wont hold up in continuous service but it beats walking, 25 $ worth of hand tools on a unit saves thousands of steps, immediate time and hundreds of hours of frustration and labor in general. My forklift has hammer, channeloks, wire cutter, adjustable and screwdriver on it, etc or someone goes into storage and there is crescent and screwdriver there for demolition. Multiple mechanics add to the demand for hand tools.
Cheap sockets are useless except for some impacts from our auto parts jobber, they are great, warranty, delivered and a 9/16x1/2 is under 3$, a 3/4 maybe 4. I have warrantied a couple but they saw 10 yrs of HARD service. I got maybe a couple dozen in the sizes we really use.
In the right time and place China tools can be a huge asset to American business. You can get the cost so low its foolish to starve the place of hand tools.
If I had to start again today though there are better options than Sears and way better economies than a tool truck for most things. I like the stuff at Menard's. For say 800 easy or less you could absolutely stuff a roll around. Made in USA. Its economy that should be rewarded with purchases. 4$ Allen wrench or 40$ tool truck wrench? Where you figure the money goes in this picture? Good marketing should be rewarded but how much of the juice in this scenario you figure trickle down to Joe factory?
A 30$ set of good end wrenches has a huge rate of return, I shop with vendors for tools with this in mind, I don't want to have to do the additional work required to return on 300$ wrench set. The quality difference is minimal anyway especially at that cost.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #15
sberry

When I change a starter for 75$ I wanna pocket some vs making the first of 6 payments on something.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #16
mistertwister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealcrenshaw View Post

If Kmart still carried Benchtop, I would buy them over Craftsman in a heartbeat. The ratchets are much better built, and the sockets just as well. I spend 10+ hours a day using Snap-On and other high-priced tools. The Benchtop tools are just as good. I've had my own Benchtop tools for over 12 years now and have never broken a socket or ratchet. I had to exchange ONE screwdriver. I am disappointed that Benchtop is no more.
mistertwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #17
Mickey O

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertwister View Post
If Kmart still carried Benchtop, I would buy them over Craftsman in a heartbeat. The ratchets are much better built, and the sockets just as well. I spend 10+ hours a day using Snap-On and other high-priced tools. The Benchtop tools are just as good. I've had my own Benchtop tools for over 12 years now and have never broken a socket or ratchet. I had to exchange ONE screwdriver. I am disappointed that Benchtop is no more.
Oh yeah those Benchtop's are fantastic, right up there with Snap-On and Pittsburgh but I haven't seen them lately I wonder if they are selling them strictly from tool trucks now.

Cheap tools are for chumps.

...the wealthy can currently “accumulate many millions of dollars in these accounts, substantially more than is needed to fund reasonable levels of retirement saving.”
Mickey O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #18
Mr.Nutcase

I wish I could go back in time, those benchtop weere good...
Old 04-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #19
fordbroncodave

you might be able to get away with it. they still sell benchtop branded tools. they might give you that instead less the USA quality and the warranty is over...

my needs list:

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showt...fordbroncodave
fordbroncodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #20
Teken

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberry View Post
I know some of you guys are fussy about hand tools but it is a real issue with me too. My environment is slightly different than a shop auto mechanic or hobby type where the work area is confined to dome extent. We have large auto/truck/tractor/welding shop and a 2 or 3 service trucks, multiple buildings, tractors, golf carts etc.
End wrenches, adjustable, pliers, screwdrivers, 5/16 nut drivers are stables as well as utility knife and tape measure. Cheap pliers have their place but wont hold up in continuous service but it beats walking, 25 $ worth of hand tools on a unit saves thousands of steps, immediate time and hundreds of hours of frustration and labor in general. My forklift has hammer, channeloks, wire cutter, adjustable and screwdriver on it, etc or someone goes into storage and there is crescent and screwdriver there for demolition. Multiple mechanics add to the demand for hand tools.
Cheap sockets are useless except for some impacts from our auto parts jobber, they are great, warranty, delivered and a 9/16x1/2 is under 3$, a 3/4 maybe 4. I have warrantied a couple but they saw 10 yrs of HARD service. I got maybe a couple dozen in the sizes we really use.
In the right time and place China tools can be a huge asset to American business. You can get the cost so low its foolish to starve the place of hand tools.
If I had to start again today though there are better options than Sears and way better economies than a tool truck for most things. I like the stuff at Menard's. For say 800 easy or less you could absolutely stuff a roll around. Made in USA. Its economy that should be rewarded with purchases. 4$ Allen wrench or 40$ tool truck wrench? Where you figure the money goes in this picture? Good marketing should be rewarded but how much of the juice in this scenario you figure trickle down to Joe factory?
A 30$ set of good end wrenches has a huge rate of return, I shop with vendors for tools with this in mind, I don't want to have to do the additional work required to return on 300$ wrench set. The quality difference is minimal anyway especially at that cost.
Nothing to add . . .

Quote:
GRX: Judging from past experiences my guess would be Racoons. They can easily jump onto the lid if the can is too heavy to knock over. Either that or Man-Bear-Pig.
Teken is offline   Reply With Quote