Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
sledmods

Default Cheapest Non-Craigslist/used Cabinets

What have you guys found for the cheapest cabinets suitable for garage use? I know the know used kitchen cabinets idea but want to look at new alternatives.

I went to lowes and HD and HD had the cheapest ones i could find.. Plain white utility cabinets.
sledmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
New Kid

Default Re: Cheapest Non-Craigslist/used Cabinets

Saw all kitchen/hall style cabinets at Lowe's- very expensive. Have some in the house we moved into- I think were cheap particle-board HD-type. They look good until you put lots of paint, tile or heavy stuff in them and they shelves bend. If any liquid spills, more potential issues.

I know you run into so many Craigslist flakes, but ever think of old cabinets with new faces? One post- something about "garage on beer-budget" showed "diamond cut" metal plates on the front of cabinets- gave it an interesting garage look.
New Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-14-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Rory Bellows

What's your time table? If you need it now your limited to new or whatever you can come across. If you don't need it right now I would suggest craigslist, estate sales, and auctions. I personally love auctions. Check out http://www.auctionzip.com/ and look in your area for upcoming sales. I have bought alot at auctions. I am very cheap when it comes to auctions. If I can't get it inexpensively I always know there will be another some time in the future. I have several metal workbenches, cabinets, and of course tools purchased from auctions.

If you go the auction route the only problem is you may not get exactly what you want. In your case, I suppose you want several matching and uniform cabinets for your garage. If you have a table saw you could make your own cabinets inexpensively out of mdf in the exact configuration you want. If that is not an ideal option just be patient and check every resource available in your area dilgently. Deals are out there. Talk to friends and family and you may even score some 50's vintage kitchen cabinets (metal) in a decent color for free or cheap. Too bad you missed out on the great gladiator cabinet deal. I got 5. Two for the basement and three for the garage. Maybe there will be another good retail deal in the future. Patience is the key but that doesn't help if you want it now.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
New Kid

Another idea- check with a few contractors who are doing kitchen remodels. If they are supposed to demo a kitchen, offer them $100 to take down the cabinets & deliver them to you...
New Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Z07coupe

Check out any building/interior salvage warehouses in your area. Here, near Kansas City, I found 100's of Pro Maxx garage poducts for sale at a fraction of the list price, still in the boxes. They toss all the heavily damaged parts, so you may get something with some slight dents or scratches, but still good looking and usable.

http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=316

Last quote I received from the salvaage company is:

72" steel garage cabinet-$66.00
30" mobil tool box cabinet - 93.00
30" wall cabinet - 57.00
4 wheel dolly 13.0030 mobil storage w/ wheels -75.00

This is worth checking out.
Z07coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

I've seen some discontinued cabinets at HD go fairly cheap.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
willymakeit

Also check you local schools. They will have very good cabinets, usally metal when they remodel or refit. When I built my garage I put in all metal cabinets with S.S. tops. Free for hauling off. No salvage value. School districts sometimes have a central warehouse / storage and will have auctions once or twice a year.
willymakeit is offline   Reply With Quote