Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Junkman

Default Brake Problem 03 Mercury Mountaineer

The ABS light came on while driving, and then went off after restarting. Upon stopping, you could hear the ABS activating even though the road was dry and clean. Then the light came on again. Tonight, I checked the master cylinder fluid level, and it needed about 2 ounces of fluid. I added the fluid, and the light came on when I started the car. Drove it a few hundred feet, and the light went off. Now it stops fine and the light hasn't come back on. I did notice that the brake pads are getting thin, so they are on the list for replacement this week. Would thin pads and a slightly low level cause this problem, or am I looking at an intermittent ABS problem? The brake pedal has always felt spongy to me on this car from day one, and I attribute that to they ABS system. The car has approximately 75,000 miles on it and everything except for pads and rear rotors are original. I was thinking that it might also be a bad master cylinder. Your thoughts?? thanks Junk

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
krusty the clown

Default Re: Brake Problem 03 Mercury Mountaineer

those are know for rear axle speed sensor failures

DEGENERATE Main Entry: 1de·gen·er·ate
Pronunciation: \di-ˈjen-rət, -ˈje-nə-, dē-\

Date: 15th century
1 a : having declined or become less specialized (as in nature, character, structure, or function) from an ancestral or former state b : having sunk to a condition below that which is normal to a type; especially : having sunk to a lower and usually corrupt and vicious state c : degraded 2
krusty the clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Deafautotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty the clown View Post
those are know for rear axle speed sensor failures
that is one of possible problems. But i can check tsb or SSM at ford website for you if you want me to???

I would recommend you to do replacement the brakes what you see and what it need then do brake flush ( my work have BG service as very quick and simple brake flush)...
Deafautotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
krusty the clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafautotech View Post
that is one of possible problems. But i can check tsb or SSM at ford website for you if you want me to???
he should scan for codes first. there is a tsb for the RASS.

1 a : having declined or become less specialized (as in nature, character, structure, or function) from an ancestral or former state b : having sunk to a condition below that which is normal to a type; especially : having sunk to a lower and usually corrupt and vicious state c : degraded 2
Old 11-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Deafautotech

Quote:
he should scan for codes first. there is a tsb for the RASS.
i am agree with you. it must check the code before throw all information and throw a parts that it dont need...
Old 11-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
sstruckguy

Don't forget guys, when the pads wear, the fluid level will go down.

Being a parts manager/director for a Ford-Lincoln Mercury-Mazda - Buick-Pontiac-GMC auto group, ABS problems with that body style(Exporer/Mountineer) doesn't really ring any bells.

Then again, it is Sunday evening, past beer-30, and my focus isn't exactly 100%
sstruckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
krusty the clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstruckguy View Post
Don't forget guys, when the pads wear, the fluid level will go down.

Being a parts manager/director for a Ford-Lincoln Mercury-Mazda - Buick-Pontiac-GMC auto group, ABS problems with that body style(Exporer/Mountineer) doesn't really ring any bells.

Then again, it is Sunday evening, past beer-30, and my focus isn't exactly 100%
low fluid won't cause the abs activation problems he descried.

look at tsb 14900 here (it's not the ford tsb number) and there are several ABS tsb's.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Mercury...002/tsbs.shtml

Old 11-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
sstruckguy

Quote:
low fluid won't cause the abs activation problems he descried.
True enough. But as that list of TSB's points out, the concern and the outcome may not be one and the same.

Most computer controlled automotive systems default to off, when the indicator light comes on. Since most antilock systems work from a spinning reluctor ring and a sensor to detect the spin, an issue from sitting still,(with the light coming and going)and the noise being heard, may not be related to the light on the dash at all. Also pointing out a spongy pedal in the past, (but no light?) may or may not be related to the noises being heard. Just a little food for thought. Thats all it was meant to point out.
sstruckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
Junkman

I will put the new pads in this week, and also flush the system with new brake fluid and see how it goes. I don't have a code reader, so that is out for the time being. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't intend to start swapping unnecessary parts.. just new pads. thanks again... Junk..

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
tatra

krusty, what is the procedure for flushing abs on this vehicle?..........can it be done by just pumping new fluid in by foot or do you need a scan tool to actuate the abs ?...........
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #11
krusty the clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatra View Post
krusty, what is the procedure for flushing abs on this vehicle?..........can it be done by just pumping new fluid in by foot or do you need a scan tool to actuate the abs ?...........
IIRC a scan tool is not need to bleed so i'm assuming it could be flushed without one, although a small amout will stay in the valve.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
dakota_522

its real simple, the light came on because your brakes pads wear down as they wear down the fluid will get lower, when your brake fluid gets lower the computer turns on the ABS light it ,does it as a saftey feature and it also will not let you use your curise control as part of that saftey feature, i work in a shop and see it all the time hope that helps
dakota_522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #13
Deafautotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatra View Post
just normal bleeding works but at my work- have BG product machine and it will pressure the brake system when i do open one bleeder per one caliper or wheel cylinder. the pressure was less than 5 psi. it is quick and simple for me to do brake flush...
Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota_522 View Post
its real simple, the light came on because your brakes pads wear down as they wear down the fluid will get lower, when your brake fluid gets lower the computer turns on the ABS light it ,does it as a saftey feature and it also will not let you use your curise control as part of that saftey feature, i work in a shop and see it all the time hope that helps
But he didn't say the red brake warning light came on. He said the ABS light came on. If low fluid was solely the issue, the low fluid sensor in the master cylinder would have closed turning on the red brake warning light, which would have the EBCM also illuminate the ABS light having two lights on, one red and the other amber. Thin pads and low or dirty fluid in itself won't turn on the ABS light. You need to pull codes to determine the root cause. The system seems to be passing the self test since the ABS light goes off after start up but, comes on while driving.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #15
lsrx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwrench View Post
But he didn't say the red brake warning light came on. He said the ABS light came on. If low fluid was solely the issue, the low fluid sensor in the master cylinder would have closed turning on the red brake warning light, which would have the EBCM also illuminate the ABS light having two lights on, one red and the other amber. Thin pads and low or dirty fluid in itself won't turn on the ABS light. You need to pull codes to determine the root cause. The system seems to be passing the self test since the ABS light goes off after start up but, comes on while driving.
My Ford experience is only up to the 2001 MY but up to that point, low fluid level would trigger the ABS light first. If the level dropped more, the red Brake lamp would then illuminate.

That said, I doubt the low fluid level triggered the lamp on Junks Mountaineer. He also mentions the ABS false firing. The most common cause of this on Ford vehicles is a failing wheel speed sensor or damaged tone ring.
lsrx101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #16
Junkman

When I jacked it up to remove the tires, I found that the left front wheel bearing was bad, and went no farther. I had it fixed at a local garage, since I wasn't up to it just having had hand surgery 2 weeks ago. The bearing was $312 and 2 hours labor to change the bearing and install new brake pads. The ABS wire was also destroyed, however the new bearing comes with the wire, so I figured it was an OK price. I know that the new bearings are not cheap like the old cars were. Thanks for the help ........ Junk...

Old 10-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #17
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
Problem was resolved in the post above your...
looks to be a spammer.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote