Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
bhays

Default thickness of concrete slab to weight load?

This is a bit off-topic, but I know that several of you have just gotten done with concrete floors and thought perhaps you could answer my question. I need to pour a 4' x 4' slab in my front yard to set a new fountain on. The fountain weighs about 1200 lbs...

I was planning on pouring a 4" thick pad with Sakrete...will that be sufficiently strong? Thanks for any advice.
bhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
boiler7904

Default Re: thickness of concrete slab to weight load?

My initial reaction is that 4" is good (5" or more would be better) but i have two quick questions:

1. What is the actual footprint of the fountain? A 1' x 1' footprint is 1200 (weight you list) lbs per square foot. A 2' x 2' footprint is 300 (weight you listed divided by 4 square feet) lbs per square foot. A big difference when designing a slab.

2. Does that 1200 lbs include the water? If not you'll also need to know water capacity and multiply by 8 lbs per gallon.
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-05-2006, 11:05 PM   #3
sayemthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhays
This is a bit off-topic, but I know that several of you have just gotten done with concrete floors and thought perhaps you could answer my question. I need to pour a 4' x 4' slab in my front yard to set a new fountain on. The fountain weighs about 1200 lbs...

I was planning on pouring a 4" thick pad with Sakrete...will that be sufficiently strong? Thanks for any advice.
one, add a 10 GA welded wire mesh for steel reinforcing in the middle of the slab as you pour it. or #3 repars at 12 iches oc.

otherwise 4 inches is fine. since the fountain is 1200 # devided by a 16 square foot footprint your soil pressure is only 75 pounds per square foot - far less than the 1000 normally allowed.

also as siad below, concentrated load of the fountain base can be determined - normal concrete is 1500 psi but you can order 3000 if you need it.
sayemthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:33 AM   #4
bhays

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree
one, add a 10 GA welded wire mesh for steel reinforcing in the middle of the slab as you pour it. or #3 repars at 12 iches oc.

otherwise 4 inches is fine. since the fountain is 1200 # devided by a 16 square foot footprint your soil pressure is only 75 pounds per square foot - far less than the 1000 normally allowed.

also as siad below, concentrated load of the fountain base can be determined - normal concrete is 1500 psi but you can order 3000 if you need it.
Thanks!. This is the fountain: http://www.krupps.com/Garden-Fountai..._krsam3795_0_0

So, a 4x4 pad 5" deep will take how much concrete (how many bags of sakrete)?
bhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:57 AM   #5
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

Online calculator for doing just that: http://www.quikrete.com/calculator/calculator.html

Of course, they only have for 4" and 6" slabs (standards). So plug your numbers in to each and then split the difference for 5".
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
sayemthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhays
So, a 4x4 pad 5" deep will take how much concrete (how many bags of sakrete)?
you will have to read the manufactuerers specs on that.
sayemthree is offline   Reply With Quote