Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
checkinoutdoors

Question Any ideas -use for old garage door opener system?

My 1/3HP Craftsman opener is @25yr old and works fine after I installed rebuild kit/gears @5yr ago. I'm installing a new door, and decided this is also a good time to install a new opener.

I'm trying to think of a clever use to have fun adapting the old opener to, rather than junk it. Any ideas?
checkinoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
akdiesel
Alliance Member

Default Re: Any ideas -use for old garage door opener system?

I saw a usefull idea on DIY where they used one to lift a wooden storage compartment up into the attic.
This may be used in the garage as well but you will need to use some sort of counter weight or spring to help the motor in lifting the items up. Very similar to the overhead door set up, but easily done.
akdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Costner

Hang shooting targets from it and with the press of the button you have moving targets. Of course you better put the motor itself behind some sort of protection - I hear they don't last long after getting shot.

Keep in mind there is no rule saying you have to use the same old chain and rail. You can replace the sproket with a pulley and use cable instead of chain and extend it out much longer.

You could hook it up to a projector screen and at the press of a button have a movie theater drop down from the ceiling.

You could put it up in the attic and with a series of pulleys use it to raise and lower an access panel or set of steps to go up and down.

During Halloween, rig up a "flying ghost" that can come swooping out of the trees with the press of a button. The kids will eat that up.

Design a weather sealed box that can be buried and hook it up to a flagpole. You can sit inside and put the flag at half staff while still in your pajamas.

Develop a sliding bar across your passage door that prevents anyone from being able to kick down the door. Only you will know the only way to get in is to push the remote and have it retract the bar. Just don't expect to get in when the power is out!

Keep it around in case you ever build a garden shed and just use it for a smaller overhead door. With a hidden button only you will know how to get in the shed and no more looking for keys or fumbling with a combination lock.

I could do this all day.... I'm sure there are 1001 uses for an old garage door opener.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Mark-in-NH

Cut your old garage door down to a narrower size for use somewhere else in your garage or a storage shed. Like a 6' for lawnmowers etc.
How about cutting your old door down to a 36" size, install it with the original tracks and use it as a entry/man door with the opener.
I bet there isn't to many man caves with their own private motorized side entry door.
Mark-in-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Steevo

The "head unit" is a nice remote-controlled light controller.
Hide it in the attic, and wire a few incandescent bulbs to it for push-button light operation from the house, car, etc.
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote