Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
Vinko

Default Best, toughtest, most durable spray paint?

What in your experience is the most durable and toughest spray enamel you've ever used on sheet metal? I was thinking of trying the Wurth stuff.
I assume it's made in Germany, but maybe not.

I've heard good things about dutch paint, but not in spray cans, though I suppsoe that's possible too.

I wonder if the spray cans from SO are good (they're certainly a little costly). Anyone know who they're OEM source is or do they make it and package it themselves?

I use Sherwin-Williams stuff and tall sivler cans of Rustoleum Pro right now. I like their high gloss enamel black. Was tempted to try some of their hi-temp paints not because the metal I'm painting will be near heat, but just because I wondered if it were a tougher paint all around

Thanks for your suggestions, fellas.
Vinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
38Chevy454

Default Re: Best, toughtest, most durable spray paint?

A lot of cheaper rattle can paint is lacquer, which will be more brittle than enamel. I think any enamel is better for toughness, just look carefully at the can to see which it is.

I don't have any brilliant suggestions for brands.

My detached garage project:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=66932

USA made high quality bear claw style latches - cheap:
http://www.hotrodlatches.com
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
idunnosh#t

RUST-OLEUM ENAMEL shot from a spray gun.My Son and I Rolled a pick-up 2 3/4 times then slid on it's side a ways down a gravel road.Long story I won't go into at this time but now I know what a grasshopper in a beer can must feel like.The paint on the flat bed held up amazingly well.Can,t say the same about my ass .Thank God ,my son wasn't hurt or killed.
idunnosh#t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Rigmaster

I used the Wurth Silver laquer wheel paint in spray cans on several sets of aluminum wheels a couple of years ago and it was amazing. I initially balked at paying ~$15-18 per can of paint, but it was well worth it!

I've heard that they re-formulated it in the last couple of years to make it more eco-friendly, so I don't know if it's still as good as it was.

I used 2 cans to re-spray 4 15" aluminum wheels and had some left over. That stuff is amazing!!
Rigmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Jay H 237

Auto paint suppliers can put some DuPont and PPG type paints in spray cans for you too. The place by me charges $22 for a can.

As for 'off the shelf' paints, I would say the Rustoleum professional series like mentioned before. It has held up the best, including the electrical meter box on the side of the house I repainted back in '03 with a fresh coat of gray and it still looks like new. The original paint on the box was chalky and had surface rust starting. I wire brushed most of teh rust and wiped it down with laquer thinner. Then masked the house off and meter globe and sprayed it.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Rory Bellows

I like using tractor and implement paint from Tractor Supply. It is very durable paint. I have many vises and work tables painted with it and it holds up very well. They have a nice selection of colors too. All the big name Tractor colors as well as Ford colors and your basic color line.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
recklessnova

I have had good luck the past with the rustolum stuff but I powdercoat everything now that will fit in the oven (60x32x24) mucho bettero then paint
4wiw
recklessnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
RLRRLRLL

Send a message via MSN to RLRRLRLL Send a message via Yahoo to RLRRLRLL

ive used ACE paint..and some industiral stuff from ochelens..been the best ive used.
RLRRLRLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
StumpFJ40

DEM-KOTE from Grainger... It is the Sh*t. I was introduced to it in Canada. It dries fast and hard.

Cheers-
-Stump
StumpFJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #10
jeepjunky

We use NASSEN sp? at the body shop, We use it primarily on semi truck frames and such. Should be able to find it at a auto paint supply store
jeepjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:22 AM   #11
KEITHMAN
Alliance Member

I'vr been usin' VHT paints for years. The epoxy paint is really tough. Takes a little to dry tho'. Their engine enamel is good too. Their header paint of course works well.
"Tough times never last... Tough people do..."
KEITHMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:42 AM   #12
Number22
Banned

I've given up on rattle cans entirely. I bought a small "touch up" HVLP spray gun and mix my own. You can buy pretty much anything you can in a spray can, in a quart or half pint...and thin as desired. The paint is much cheaper this way too.
Number22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:15 AM   #13
ddawg16

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunnosh#t View Post
RUST-OLEUM ENAMEL shot from a spray gun.My Son and I Rolled a pick-up 2 3/4 times then slid on it's side a ways down a gravel road.Long story I won't go into at this time but now I know what a grasshopper in a beer can must feel like.The paint on the flat bed held up amazingly well.Can,t say the same about my ass .Thank God ,my son wasn't hurt or killed.
X1.....

A little trick I learned....warm the paint up, then you don't have to thin it....works great for small jobs out of a VLP gun.

"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #14
OccupantRJ

I needed to paint a couple of old flourescent fixtures last week and looked in my cabinet to see what I had around. Found a couple of cans of Dutch Boy acrylic enamel that had to be at least 5 years old, shook it well, and painted away. I was impressed with the finish it produced! They looked like factory new lights, and the paint flowed out great. The cans had the fan spray type nozzles on them, and I will be buying more, as soon as I find a local store with it. Walmart here sells Dutch Boy paints, but doesn't have it in spray cans.
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
Joe69

The best rattle can paint I have ever used is Caterpillar's. It covers amazingly well and is very durable, even outdoors. The downside is the limited color selection.

Joe
Joe69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #16
krooser

I inhertited a bunch of tools and "stuff" from my father-in-law last May.... I found a can of Rustoleum dated 1989.... painted some wheels last week with it and they look pretty good!!!!
krooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #17
Daniel Dudley

I think that a lot of the toughness and durability of spray paint is in the prep, and ultimately in the film thickness. I typically want a couple more coats than what just looks good.
Daniel Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #18
79BlackPearl

Without a doubt, VALSPAR Tractor and Implement paint from Tractor Supply. I use it quite a bit on Jeep parts that I want to last, and it does. A little limited on colors, but it works!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #19
scooby074

As mentioned Dem-Kote is good and cheap too. I understand its just rebranded Rustoleum.

Massey tractor implement paint is good too. Either in the spray or quart. I think its Valspar.
scooby074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #20
idunnosh#t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
X1.....

A little trick I learned....warm the paint up, then you don't have to thin it....works great for small jobs out of a VLP gun.
Good Idea...I just had an old Binks gun at the time,but I think it called for acetone as the thinner. I don't remember for sure.I used RUST-OLEUM PRIMER also.It's definitely cheaper than spray cans and a person could pay for some cheaper VLP guns in a hurry.Anyway, it gets my vote but I don't recomend using a car wreck as a paint test method.
idunnosh#t is offline   Reply With Quote