Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #201
kochevnik

Default Re: Compression - Show Off Your Compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles (in GA) View Post
Which is exactly why you don't seen anyone using one. In an industrial setting with continuous air consumption, they are great, but in a home garage setting, having to crank up one to blow up the kids basketball, or service the tire pressure on the family car, is kind crazy.

To walk out to the shop and fire up the compressor and let it run the whole time you are in the shop, just in case you need air, must be real expensive electricity wise.

Charles

Sorry, I don't get it.

Yes, this is an industrial compressor so it's not typical garage use. That's kind of the point of my post - to get a few people to think a bit outsidethe box. It costs me 12 cents to run this for a full hour. If a person were to use this in a garage I don't see why it would be much different than any other power tool - you turn the switch on, you use the tool. When you're done you turn it off. Same here.

As for pumping basketballs and such, turn the switch and you're ready to go. No waiting for pressure to rise in an empty tank - no worries about corrosion or water in the tank. No ungodly loud noise either. Instant on, instant off. And in any case, many people put tanks on these - mostly because they've just never seen a compressor without an air tank. I didn't see the point - a few seconds of stored air is not going to help much - either the compressor has the capacity or it doesnt.

Finally, you can buy a throwaway compressor and replace it every few years or you buy something that lasts a lifetime.

About the only disadvantage - other than having to turn it on when you wanted to use it (oh, the horror ) is the price, and the fact that you would have to size the machine correctly when you bought it.

But otherwise, IMO - this is a no-brainer.

Obviously, YMMV.

Last edited by kochevnik; 12-27-2007 at 12:05 PM.
kochevnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:04 PM   #202
PurdueSD

What type of CFM does that rotary put out? Interesting to see someone with a different take. What do you do about moisture without having any type of condensate bowl?
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #203
kochevnik

The one I have puts out 7 or 8 cfm - that's where sizing is important. My milling machine has particular specs for air and I just went over that a bit and that's the machine I bought. The rotary vane compressors come in all sizes - there is a great one on EBay right now - 43 cfm - 2000 hours on it - basically new considering 100,000 hour lifetime. If I needed more air, I'd pop for something like this but for me it's overkill.

As for moisture, I have an air dryer and the milling machine has traps on it. No reason you couldn't plumb this compressor like any other.
kochevnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #204
Steve in Mi

I see the Hydrovane 10 PUTS is on the low end, for output.
2 HP, 6.7 CFM @ 100 psi. and looks like 150 psi max.
http://www.comp-air.com/4-compair-hydrovane-eng.htm

I didn't see any pricing on it yet but judging from the price you paid for a used unit they are pricey for what you get IMHO. 100,000 hours isn't FOREVER, more like 10 years continuous use and $1,050.00 for running it using your $0.12 per hour. I see they are available with a Air-cooled Aftercooler and Receiver. I would think the tank is a good idea if your useage cycles (on/off) much. There is the heat of high amperage motor starts to consider too. I have seen in the literature that some motors are rated by the maximum number of motor restarts in an hour. The floating inlet valve to match output sounds like an interesting feature.

Might be just the ticket for some but I don't see any advantage for it based on my air usage, however, thanks for sharing. Let us know how you like it after you have had it awhile.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #205
hsheartaches

Well, mine's nothing to brag about, except for the fact that I only have about $50 into it. I call it Frankompressor. I was given two junk compressors, one was a 20 gallon '74 Craftsman(supposedly) with a burned up motor, the other was a 22 gallon Sanborn with a blown compression head. I hard plumbed to two together, swapped out the motors on the '74 w/ a 2-1/2hp, and now I have 42 gallons of volume. I had thought about swapping out the pulleys to up the recovery, but it keeps up pretty well. This was a temporary fix because I rent and my big 60 gallon C/H is at my parent's place. I'm not running a 220 drop for a compressor in a rent house.
hsheartaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:20 AM   #206
ron in sc

I was interested in a rotary screw compressor. I looked at a Kaeser that could put out about 20 cfms at around 175 psi. It cost about $5000. and that was with out any storage tank. I passed on that and got a reciprocating compressor, a Saylor-Beall, with an 80 gallon tank that puts out about 18 or 19 cfm at 175 psi. I found the rotary screw compressors that could be used for a little sandblasting and die grinder to be just more money than I could justify spending. I recall a lot of them were 3 phase which I do not have.
ron in sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #207
Palf

Mine is an Excel Compressor, I am not sure of the year.

60 gallon tank, 5 hp Single stage

I can't find out much on it, but it still works. I got it from a friend several years ago and so far it keeps on chuggin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3398.jpg (72.0 KB, 623 views)
"Whitey" 02 Chevy Silverado 1500 SWB W/T

Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #208
edl

well...bucking the trend for a change...i have an hft compressor - it is their largest one - 80 gal, 7.5h, 2 stage - as i did the research, i found out that as a great exception to their rule, this private labeled item is made on shore in South Carolina by ABAC - the electric motor is by baldor, the compressor is abac's and i assume the tank (certified) is abac's as well - abac's own brand is "Belaire" - i confirmed this by calling abac's tech help for the abac part number to supposedly replace something on the US General compressor - he gave it to me and confirmed that this was their compressor - hft has them for 1,400 - with a sale and a coupon i was out the door at 900 - which is pretty good when the identical belaire sells for double that - sorry i don't have pictures...by the way, hft still sells the same compressor (and the manager gripes that they have practically no margin on it - so even if you pay near the marked price it is a bargain)...thanks, ed
edl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #209
kmishler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320stang View Post
It's a Delta 2 stage 80 gal. 175 psi kicks in at 145 psi, 16.0scfm @ 90 psig. I think it's 5HP with 6.5HP peak. It's the one Sam's carries. I've been drooling over it for about 3 years. It's a single phase 240V 30A. I don't have it bolted down or wired yet. I wasn't quite ready for it yet. I can't decide how I want to plumb it. Been thinking 3/4" K copper for the main line and 1/2" K copper drops. I was thinking about making a bypass and sitting a galvanized tub outside with a coil of 3/4" M in it that I could put water and ice in for media blasting, not sure it's necessary though.
I also have the 80 gallon Delta unit. My first batch of compressor oil ended up milky looking, viewed threw the site glass. I called the company ( Devilbiss makes this unit ) and they of course said I had moisture in the oil. I didn't understand how this happened. They recommended changing the oil which I did. I also used the Castrol oil that they recommended. I think it's starting to look milky again. I don't use this unit much at all as the shop is still not complete. I'm not in love with this unit so far.
I also called Devilbiss right after I got the unit to discuss CFM and hard plumbing. I didn't think I could get the CFM that this unit was rated at out the 1/2" pipe opening that this unit came with. The tech that I spoke with was insulting and got pissed when I asked for his name.
With this unit getting moisture in the oil, I don't feel warm and fuzzy about putting this unit out doors. I like the idea of it being out though, getting the noise out of the garage would be awesome.
Great forum,
k
kmishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #210
wjhpc

Now thats what I'm talkin' about!!!
wjhpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #211
wjhpc

holy cow!!
wjhpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #212
turbojimmy

I have an old Campbell-Hausfeld 220V compressor. It has a single cast iron cylinder. In the pic it looks like it's leaking oil yet the oil level hasn't gone down in the 12 years I've owned it. It's in my basement and plumbed into the garage:

I bought one of these last year and mounted it on the ceiling. One of the best investment's I've made:

Jim
turbojimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #213
Nightshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
I have an old Campbell-Hausfeld 220V compressor. It has a single cast iron cylinder. In the pic it looks like it's leaking oil yet the oil level hasn't gone down in the 12 years I've owned it. It's in my basement and plumbed into the garage:

I bought one of these last year and mounted it on the ceiling. One of the best investment's I've made:

Jim
I agree Jim, a retractable hose reel is the way to go. I've had one for years. It's hard to tell from your comment if you're just watching the oil level or actually changing it. I'd highly recommend you change it for fresh oil once a year. The pump is no different than your car engine ... just smaller, and needs changing annually to ensure a long troublefree life. It only costs about $5 for a quart of compressor oil and about 30 minutes of your time ... cheap insurance!

Just my $0.02 worth. Bill.
Nightshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #214
goodfellow

I put the retractable hose in the ceiling as well -- boy that sure makes life easier. Should have done it years ago.

BTW -- I think that compressor actually has two pistons in it. Looks like a standard 2 piston single stage pump
goodfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #215
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellow View Post
I put the retractable hose in the ceiling as well -- boy that sure makes life easier. Should have done it years ago.

BTW -- I think that compressor actually has two pistons in it. Looks like a standard 2 piston single stage pump
agreed, used to have one of those myself!
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #216
HybridG

Hey just sharing what the wify bought me for Xmas. I have been eying these for a while as well as doing my reseach here on the board.

One thing resonated with me " buy the biggest and best compressor you can afford now"

So thats the husky 60gal, I do not do much heavy duty stuff but work on go karts and cars in my spare time.

Its new home is the cold room of my basement, it gets cold but does not freeze lowest it goes is 2degres when outside is -15 (tested it ) Perfect spot and does not make the wife feel like a train is coming throught the house.

well here are the pics, got my point of disconect switch just need to source some hockey pucks and bolt it to the floor and do the plumbing when i invest in some 1/2 inch copper pipe..yes INVEST at least at these prices i like like it is.

Does anyone have any suggestions on any other way to secure the compressor ?

Last edited by HybridG; 01-10-2008 at 10:41 PM.
HybridG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:38 AM   #217
turbojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellow View Post

You're right, it does. You can see it in the picture. I've had it so long, and it's been tucked under that shelf for so long, I forgot about it. It's been a good machine - it's totally out of sight, out of mind. I turn the regulator knob and there's air.

I do wish it was an upright sometimes. I had visions of loaning it to my dad or brother so I got the horizontal tank model w/ wheels. It hasn't moved since the day I installed it.

Jim
Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #218
doslocos

Hi,
This is my first post here. I am in the market for a new compressor and am looking at the Eaton, 7.5 hp 80 gallon. They say made in the USA. Is this true? I see some of you guys have Eaton's. Any input would be great. Love this site, I am currently building a new shop 30x60. There are lots of awesome ideas on here.
Thanks Steve
doslocos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #219
bucknell

If you research what's available online for Eaton compressors, you'll find their motors and pumps are made in China.
You can call them up and they will be very up front with you about this.
To be honest, it's hard to find any product in this day in age that isn't made overseas and is totally built in the states.

I am considering an Eaton as well and I'm waiting on some questions I emailed them.

I like their lower running pumps/motors and how beefy the compressors are built.

I'd like to see the specs on their low end 3 HP unit.

It weighs 400 pounds...2x what the box store units weigh in at.
bucknell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #220
Charles (in GA)

I think you will find the Eaton units use a Chinese made pump. I'm told they are a very good pump, but Chinese none-the-less. They are certainly assembled here, and probably the tank is US made, and the motor possibly.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote