Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #161
Sanctifier

Default Re: Compression - Show Off Your Compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roospike View Post
Thanks ,
The drill press is a JET JDP-17MF / 354169 Drill Press , great unit and works very well with steel. I normally drill 1/4" - 1 1/8" thick steel wih it and works great.

http://www.amazon.com/JET-JDP-17MF-3.../dp/B00004T9L0
Really nice. No way I could afford a new Jet on my Workshop upgrade buget.
Just too much equipment and tools to buy... So many tools... So few $$$!

A new 20" VS drill-press costs $2,000-4,500 US... x 6.35 for $TT.
e.g. over here, a JET 20" VS drill-press = $42,000 TT with VAT (tax.)
Even a used Clausing on eBay is $1950.00 US. Still too "rich" for my blood.

Bought a "demo" Turn Pro 20" variable speed... the one ENCO sells for $2000.

Couldn't resist... Paid... [drum-roll]... $500.00 US
BRAND SPANKIN' NEW!... Yup, miracles still happen.

Last edited by Sanctifier; 09-13-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Sanctifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #162
HacksawsGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
They ran me off TBN when I teamed up with Doc to start www.forumsforums.com . They said that if you wanted to say anything that was political to go somewere else, so we started our own site. They didn't like the fact that a lot of TBN people joined our fun place and were sharing there time between sites. I stayed away for a while and did ask to come back, but they never responded. If they don't want me, I can live with that. It is there loss, not mine. There are a lot of good websites out there, and this is one of them. Come on over and visit at our www.forumsforums.com and see if it is for you. We allow politics and a whole lot of other subjects, and we don't have any of the politically correct moderator mentality to harass you. We welcome all types of people with lots of different opinions. If you join, just put Junkman in the referral slot. I am the Senior Moderator, so you know what that means..... Nothing but good fun.

well, i can understand the feeling. i have been banned from jockey journal, why, i dont know. the administrator, ryan?, never told me why and to this day refuses to answer any inquirey on the subject. its really fustrating despite my efforts to convince myself i dont care.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:13 AM   #163
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

Finally got a new compressor (new to me). It's a mix of manufacturers, but seems to work well. I've yet to get any tools on it since I don't have a regulator or filter, but I finally completed the installation and pressurized it up. Supply line from the head to the tank is temporary. Waiting for some bigger tubing...(thanks Herb)...and a better way to bend it...

Anyway, specs are as follows:

Quincy QR-25 pressure lubricated pump, model 216, single stage (10.7CFM)
80 gallon IR tank (again, thanks Herb)
3 HP, 240v TEFC motor
Quincy belt guard
IR auto drain (once I hook it up)

Pump is older than me (1965), but was rebuilt 8 years ago...should be good for another 20 or so years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compressor11.jpg (59.9 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg compressor12.jpg (64.7 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by bmwpower; 09-26-2007 at 12:16 AM.
bmwpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:12 AM   #164
Steve in Mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
I finally completed the installation and pressurized it up.
Great and probably better than most offerings available today. I used an old 1947 DeVilbiss 3 HP 2 stage for years and my neighbor continues to use it today. I think maybe a new 220V drop in conduit from the ceiling might be in order, unless you can navigate in one of the walls.

Interesting detail in your cement floor around the overhead door track - I'd like to see more.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:31 AM   #165
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Mi View Post
Great and probably better than most offerings available today. I used an old 1947 DeVilbiss 3 HP 2 stage for years and my neighbor continues to use it today. I think maybe a new 220V drop in conduit from the ceiling might be in order, unless you can navigate in one of the walls.

Interesting detail in your cement floor around the overhead door track - I'd like to see more.
Thanks. Yea, I'm going to probably run conduit down the ledge coming from the left (the panel is ~25 feet to the left. I figure I'll come out from under the panel and run it down to the compressor. I want to run bigger wire (#8 or bigger) in case I upgrade the compressor someday. Running the wire through the wall, although my first choice, I'm not sure I feel like taking on such a project right now - too much work. The compressor "area" was to be between the doors, but I opted to stick this one over in the corner to see how I liked it (out of the way). I think it will stay here.

The floor near the doors drops down about 3/4" to an apron. This keeps the water out of the garage. Nothing fancy really. Somewhat common around here.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:17 AM   #166
Steve in Mi

Quote:
The floor near the doors drops down about 3/4" to an apron. This keeps the water out of the garage. Nothing fancy really. Somewhat common around here.
If you build a trench for water inside the door then the water will come in that far, right? I have a ~3/4" drop in elevation and then a taper downward skirt but the drop is at the outside edge of the door bottom not behind (inside) it. I would guess that you experience some freezing of your door seal to the floor unless you don't get freezing temperatures. I used a piece of 1-1/2" pipe across the door opening to maintain a straight line and make the transition in elevation. Any future builds will have a better thermobreak directly below the door sill.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #167
chad pickens

I wanted to show off my new toy. I got the compressor of my dreams. I watched ebay for about 3 months. Then found this c/h extreme series 10hp 4 cylinder 2 stage 120 gallon tank compressor, luckily it has the cast iron made in USA pump. The good part is the guy who bought this didnt know it was 3 so he paid an electrician to put a brand new baldor 10 hp 1 motor on it. The compressor has very little time on it. I got it with the contactor and all for 787.77 it pumps up very fast , kicks on at 140 and shuts off at 175that takes about 90 seconds. It shure is alot quieter than that old craftsman I had.That is not my garage in the pic Im not quite done with that yet.

Last edited by chad pickens; 05-20-2010 at 06:40 AM.
chad pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:08 AM   #168
Nightshift

Default Compression - Show Off Your Compressor

Just adding mine to the collection here boys. A 2-stage industrial unit. Surprisingly quiet running for unit this large. Sits on hockey pucks, but not bolted thru to the floor (never moves). Auto-drain on the tank. I lowered the pressure from 175, so now it kicks in @ 125 and out @ 150.

Output goes first thru a short hydraulic flex hose, then into 1" iron pipe ... first vertical for 10', then sloped downhill for another 30', then into 1/2" iron pipe for another 30'. Hose reel and outlets at the filter/reg/oiler are overhead and about 60' from the compressor. I've never seen any water there at all ... or in the drain downleg at the farthest end for that matter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2454s.jpg (48.9 KB, 918 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2457s.jpg (60.7 KB, 809 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2461sd.jpg (76.9 KB, 968 views)
Nightshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:23 AM   #169
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshift View Post
Just adding mine to the collection here boys. A 2-stage industrial unit. Surprisingly quiet running for unit this large. Sits on hockey pucks, but not bolted thru to the floor (never moves). Auto-drain on the tank. I lowered the pressure from 175, so now it kicks in @ 125 and out @ 150.

Output goes first thru a short hydraulic flex hose, then into 1" iron pipe ... first vertical for 10', then sloped downhill for another 30', then into 1/2" iron pipe for another 30'. Hose reel and outlets at the filter/reg/oiler are overhead and about 60' from the compressor. I've never seen any water there at all ... or in the drain downleg at the farthest end for that matter.
Cool. You may want to put a drain leg before or after that flex hose or change it's orientation. Water will collect at the bend of the hose.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:30 AM   #170
Nightshift

Quote:
Cool. You may want to put a drain leg before or after that flex hose or change it's orientation. Water will collect at the bend of the hose.
Thanks for the suggestion. When I installed the 1" pipe, I forgot to have that 10' vertical piece shortened by a couple feet so it's inlet was higher than the outlet on the tank. One of these days, I'm going to take it off and shorten it to eliminate that "trap" the flex hose creates.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #171
Nightshift

Quote:
Well, thanks to bmwpower's prompting ... I finally got off my ass today and decided to fix the "water trap" in my flex hose. I cut 24" off the 1" vertical pipe, rethreaded the end and reconnected the flex hose. I'm annoyed at myself for not doing this when I first installed it ... took all of 30 minutes!

Thanks again bmwpower for the push ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2466s.jpg (73.0 KB, 662 views)
Old 10-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #172
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshift View Post
Well, thanks to bmwpower's prompting ... I finally got off my ass today and decided to fix the "water trap" in my flex hose. I cut 24" off the 1" vertical pipe, rethreaded the end and reconnected the flex hose. I'm annoyed at myself for not doing this when I first installed it ... took all of 30 minutes!

Thanks again bmwpower for the push ...
No problem. That's what we're here for!

Now if I just off my ass and actually started to pipe my system...
Old 10-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #173
russlaferrera

This is my little 2hp, Quincy 310, with a 60 gal tank. I have it since the mid 70s. It still runs strong.

Last edited by russlaferrera; 01-21-2008 at 06:49 PM.
russlaferrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #174
winks2

Send a message via AIM to winks2

Here's the compressor I decided on... I love it! I don't have a filter yet, however I don't have any other air tools yet either, besides a tire chuck and a blow gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA180084.JPG (76.5 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg PA180085.JPG (77.8 KB, 412 views)
winks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #175
dragginbalz

I guess I will finally post mine (even though it is dusty as heck)

Eaton 220V single stage 80gal
I love it. I was spraying some primer with a Sata KLC HVLP primer gun and the compressor not only kept up when I was spraying it also continues to build pressure and actually shut off a few times. (while constantly spraying) I was impressed!

dragginbalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #176
dragginbalz

dragginbalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #177
Itzkwik

IR 5hp/80gal. Still need to run the air lines and wire it to the disconnect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.JPG (45.6 KB, 294 views)
Itzkwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #178
enginerd

What have others been doing for the compressor feet mounts for something like the IR- SS5L5?

The hockey puck thing is interesting, although they will be prone to crack over time i'd think. That rubber vulcanizes and becomes brittle.

Mcmaster sells these, and it lists air compressors as an application. PN: 6423K611

$25/ea, 1/2-13 thread, it'll take 600lbs (so total of 2400max with 4), and it has a good temperature working range (-20 to 225F).

And if you want overkill, they also have these isolators available, over twice the load capability, and twice the price. Same neoprene bonded between steel plates.

Last edited by enginerd; 11-04-2007 at 01:18 PM.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #179
Nightshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
What have others been doing for the compressor feet mounts for something like the IR- SS5L5?

The hockey puck thing is interesting, although they will be prone to crack over time i'd think. That rubber vulcanizes and becomes brittle.
Well enginerd ... I've been using hockey pucks under my compressor for about 35 years. I think during that time, I did put fresh ones under it one time about 20 years ago when I moved and in the process, the short lag bolts holding them on got pulled off.

I can assure everyone they are very effective, cost nothing (if you don't have some, check with any neighbourhood kid who plays hockey and they'll have a bag full), and in spite of what you might think, they last probably longer than you want them to!

Last edited by Nightshift; 11-04-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #180
RWD

Here's my Speedaire 30 gal compressor I picked up a few weeks ago. It's kinda old but is in good condition. I haven't run it in 2 weeks and it still has 135 lbs in it. It is fairly quiet which is the main reason I bought it instead of a new, oil-less compressor. I HATE noise, lol.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0199 (Medium).JPG (38.6 KB, 329 views)
RWD is offline   Reply With Quote