Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Garyl53

Default How to drain off winter snow melt?

Well I have been thinking about finishing my garage floor this spring with VCT but I am wondering how to handle the water from the snow melt off the cars in the winter. Yesterday morning there was a bit of snow on the cars and as expected it melted off into puddles on the concrete floor. The floor is pitched toward the garage door as most are however the garage door is acting as a damn so the water collects in a large puddle. When opening the door it is quite a mess dripping off of the door onto the cars. What have people done to control this a bit with or without finished garage floors? There are no floor drains in the garage and it looks like it would be difficult to add them after the fact. Is it possible to create drain holes under the garage door without letting in too much cold air? any suggestions appreciated.
Gary
Garyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Garyl53

Default Re: How to drain off winter snow melt?

I thought I would add that I always try to brush off the cars before putting them into the garage to minimize the water. I was thinking that perhaps the best way to handle this would be to cut or modify the seal at the bottom of the garage door to create a small outlet area for the water to flow. I am concerned about the VCT standing up to water sitting on it over night though since many times I wouldn't be able to sweep the water out until the next morning. Will the VCT withstand some water sittting on it without damage? Any opinions from those with VCT would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Mark-in-NH

You could always use something like this mat that you park your car on. There may well be better ones then this, this is just the first one that popped up in a random search.

http://www.elite-xpressions.com/floo..._cleanpark.htm
Mark-in-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
nate379
Banned

Cut slots in the slab under the door.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Fish-man

I bought some BLT mats this fall... it takes forever to dry the water from rain run-off, and I think snow/cold will make it worse. However, I didn't have much of a choice, since my concrete is disintegrating due to road salt... so I'll see what happens when the snow starts to fly.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
sledmods

My situation is that my garage isn't pitched enough so water just pools and flows everywhere. I'd like to do VCT also but i don't know how it will hold up. Epoxy is probably my only solution right now. I may look into one of those parking mats.
sledmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
thelews

Here's what I did. Cut a trench before the door, connected outside to the underground gutter drain system. Works well, but I have to run hot water down the drain when it really gets cold to keep the pipe to the gutter drain open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0001 (Large).JPG (73.1 KB, 324 views)
thelews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
Garyl53

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelews View Post
Here's what I did. Cut a trench before the door, connected outside to the underground gutter drain system. Works well, but I have to run hot water down the drain when it really gets cold to keep the pipe to the gutter drain open.
Does the trench go all the way through the garage concrete floor or is it just a ground out area of concrete? Also was this installed when the garage was built or was it a retrofit? This would work really well for me since the pitch of the floor would drive the water into the drain.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
thelews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyl53 View Post
Does the trench go all the way through the garage concrete floor or is it just a ground out area of concrete? Also was this installed when the garage was built or was it a retrofit? This would work really well for me since the pitch of the floor would drive the water into the drain.
It was a retrofit. We sawed out a channel about a foot wide and 6 or so in. deep and then set a plastic drain channel (most landscapers have them) in fresh concrete with some rebar. The drain exits the front of the garage via buried PVC and connects to the underground gutter drain system right around the corner. I did this before some brick work was done in front of the garage door and before the floor was shot blasted and epoxy slurried. Works well, but I have to keep the PVC drain tube from freezing. It's not buried 4 ft. going out of the garage.

This type of drain http://www.plastictrenchdrain.com/
thelews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
Bojans

Since I have installed the ceiling fan in my garage the floor has always been dry by morning.
Bojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #11
Garyl53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojans View Post
Since I have installed the ceiling fan in my garage the floor has always been dry by morning.
In winter with temps arround 30* to 40*?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:59 AM   #12
MNMuskie

The water in my garage also pools at the threshold. "thelews" drain looks to be the ideal solution.

I'd love some type of drain, but for now I just use the trusted floor squeegee. It's sometimes a pain, but it works great. Like you, I try to kick or brush off as much ice and snow in my driveway. I usually let the cars thaw out for a while and then just crack the door and squeegee out the water. If I do this just before going to bed, it's usually bone dry by morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojans View Post
I'm not sure where you are from, but you may be underestimating the amount of snow and slush that comes into the garage in the northern climates. In fact, I'd be willing to bet I had about a gallon of water come from the ice buildup of just one wheel well after our last storm.

Last edited by MNMuskie; 12-11-2009 at 02:02 AM.
MNMuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:31 AM   #13
35mastr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelews View Post
This is you best bet. They also sell them in metal that are about 4 to 5 inches deep.

Mac tools For Sale Here
George
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
Garyl53

I have conlcluded that I need to have some drain mechanism before I do anything to the floor. I just don't see me taking the time to squeegee the floor every time. I like what"thelews" did although the way the floor is sloped I may only need a single drain (round) toward the door area near each car. Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:30 AM   #15
nate379
Banned

The easy fix is just to cut some slots under the door.

I'm too lazy to get some pics but I just cut a 1/4" wide, 1" deep "trench" with my angle grinder that runs about 3" before the door to outside. I did it every 4-5 feet I believe.

It's not as effective as an actual drain like the pics on here show, but I wasn't ready to cut up my slab and figure out a way to drain it outside and not have it freeze when it's -20* outside. Not to mention I was worried about hitting the pex lines which I'm not exactly sure how deep they run or where they are.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #16
t. jones

I just drilled a hole in a low spot near the door. It was just temporary 7 years ago, works good.
Thanx Trevor
t. jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #17
Garyl53

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
The easy fix is just to cut some slots under the door.

I'm too lazy to get some pics but I just cut a 1/4" wide, 1" deep "trench" with my angle grinder that runs about 3" before the door to outside. I did it every 4-5 feet I believe.

It's not as effective as an actual drain like the pics on here show, but I wasn't ready to cut up my slab and figure out a way to drain it outside and not have it freeze when it's -20* outside. Not to mention I was worried about hitting the pex lines which I'm not exactly sure how deep they run or where they are.
Thanks Nate379, I think I will try your recommendation now so I can see how it works out. It will be a lot easier than adding an actual drain and if it works out it would be easy to just cut arround the slots when laying VCT. The slots could actually run under any threshold that is needed to protect the edge of the VCT.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #18
Treeman

Wouldn't the slots freeze and back up during the winter, when you want them the most?
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #19
t. jones

Treeman yes it will especially if the door faces north ( south for our Austrailian friends)
Thanx Trevor
t. jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #20
Dodge

I had the same problem with standing water in my garage from melting snow and rain water off vehicles. I had no floor drain. What I did was put in a drain. The low spot in the garage where the water would sit, I cut the concrete with a cement saw. I cut a square 3'X3'. Dug it down about 3'. Filled it with river rock. Bought a 9" catch basin at Menards. Placed it in the opening, before completely filled with rock of course. The one I bought had 2 holes on the side, I put a 90 degree elbow on each one, keeps the rocks out and lets the water flow out. Serves as kind of a sludge catcher. I kept the top of the basin slightly below grade for flow, finished off with sakrete. I still have to squeezee to the drain some. Better than opening the door and pushing the water to the driveway to freeze. Drain works great, have had it about 10 years, well worth it. Good Luck
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote