Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
nxstang

Default HELP! Reddy heater not working!

Hey folks, gotta problem here.

Have a 60,000BTU Reddy Heater here thats not working. It had this problem last winter and I didnt fool with it. Needing it this winter.

I have attached a video to what it does. I poured out the old kerosene and put in some fresh stuff I just went and got. Changed the fuel filter as well after dumping it all. It still does it.

Basically what it's doing is kicking on for a few seconds and makes a "humming" sound then kicks off. a local repair shop is willing to fix it but I have to pay 30 dollars regardless if they fix it or not....kinda garbage.

so what could be wrong here? If you listen to the video, make sure you turn it up, my phone didnt record the sound too loudly. Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2tZbm-CVA8
nxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
charlie_nj

Default Re: HELP! Reddy heater not working!

How many times did you attempt to start it? Each winter mine takes about a dozen or so cycles of this to finally kick on. When I first turn it on after it sits all summer, the air pump will run for a few seconds and then it shuts off. I unplug it, wait a few seconds for it to reset, and attempt to start it again, again it shuts off. This continues for maybe 10 or 12 cycles till it finally kicks on. I believe what is happening is that a photoelectric cell shuts the air pump off if it doesnt see a flame after so many seconds. Once the fuel gets properly atomized so it will actually ignite, the photo cell lets the fuel continue to flow. This could probably be prevented by cleaning out all the old fuel before storing for the summer, but I never do. It does literally take 10 or 12 cycles before it starts, so if you haven't tried it this many times, I suggest trying this.

Last edited by charlie_nj; 12-05-2009 at 01:11 PM.
charlie_nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
nxstang

This is the same thing it did last winter to me....it was running and kicked off. It wouldn't restart and i emptied the diesel, sloshed it with kerosene and tried it then...nothing.

this time I tried it 3-4 times and nothing.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
charlie_nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxstang View Post
This is the same thing it did last winter to me....it was running and kicked off. It wouldn't restart and i emptied the diesel, sloshed it with kerosene and tried it then...nothing.

this time I tried it 3-4 times and nothing.
Took 12 tries to start mine. I'd try it 12 more times and see if it kicks on. Unplug it after each try so it resets itself.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
nxstang

OK, I tried it 15 times nothing.
Took the fuel line off and cleaned it with carb cleaner. nothing.

So I took the top half of the casing off (with the handle) and tried seeing what it was doing. When i plug it in I can see the little "igniter" glow red hot and it looks like fuel sprays out......fan kicks on. But nothing, no heater.

Any ideas?
Old 12-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
HIOSILVER

check the eye that reads there is a flame..next check the rubber hose that runs up to the fan make sure it is not cracked this is how it draws its fuel ...
HIOSILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
nxstang

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIOSILVER View Post
check the eye that reads there is a flame..next check the rubber hose that runs up to the fan make sure it is not cracked this is how it draws its fuel ...
How do I check this eye?

I took the fuel hose off and sprayed it out...looked to be shooting fuel too, just no flame.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
nxstang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2un_wXmDPc
Old 12-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
HIOSILVER

you will see a back item that points toward the flame two wires just clean it with soft tissue paper
Old 12-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
nxstang

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIOSILVER View Post
you will see a back item that points toward the flame two wires just clean it with soft tissue paper
is it round and (looking from the back) to the bottom left? so i take it off and clean it with some toilet paper or tissue paper?

also, should the "igniter" itself be directly in front of where the fuel sprays? or should it be pointing inwards but kinda to the side?

look at the last video i posted...iy has it apart and shows exactly what it is doing.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #11
charlie_nj

Maybe try bypassing the photoelectric eye with a jumper wire.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #12
nxstang

ok lemme go out there and try that.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
nxstang

ok, unhoked the 2 blue wires going to the little circuit board and made a small jumper to jump those 2 ports together. STILL nothing.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
scottm

When mine did that the fuel jet was partly clogged. I took it out and looked through it and thought it was ok since I could see light through it, but after I blew some compressed air through the hole it was about 3 times bigger. They are really sensitive to air/fuel ratio so it can look like its getting both fuel and spark and still not work.

It's not the best web page to try to find stuff, but I found some useful troubleshooting tips at reddyparts.com. Here are a couple to get started - Older spark plug style and newer glowplug thingy style.
scottm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
catmech

Does yours have a spark plug that ignites the fuel? If so check the wire and maybe change the plug. I had one on my service truck that used the plug, Iwould buy a tune up kit for it every year, change the plug and filter. There is also vanes in the pump, I could not hear your video very well but that may be your noise issue. I had also bought a pump kit for mine, water in the fuel will freeze the pump, and do not remember it being very much money. I could not see your model number but if you post it that may help narrow down the possibilities. One other question is are you sure that fuel is being drawn out of the tank?
catmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
55 FORDMAN

fuel pump it run off the back of fan
55 FORDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
55 FORDMAN

rotor kits i think what it called
55 FORDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #18
HIOSILVER

one thing i found out they will not run with the top cover off
Old 12-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #19
nxstang

Quote:
When mine did that the fuel jet was partly clogged. I took it out and looked through it and thought it was ok since I could see light through it, but after I blew some compressed air through the hole it was about 3 times bigger. They are really sensitive to air/fuel ratio so it can look like its getting both fuel and spark and still not work.

It's not the best web page to try to find stuff, but I found some useful troubleshooting tips at reddyparts.com. Here are a couple to get started - Older spark plug style and newer glowplug thingy style.

Its the prong-style igniter piece. Ill take the fuel jet out and take some carb cleaner to it.

Quote:
Does yours have a spark plug that ignites the fuel? If so check the wire and maybe change the plug. I had one on my service truck that used the plug, Iwould buy a tune up kit for it every year, change the plug and filter. There is also vanes in the pump, I could not hear your video very well but that may be your noise issue. I had also bought a pump kit for mine, water in the fuel will freeze the pump, and do not remember it being very much money. I could not see your model number but if you post it that may help narrow down the possibilities. One other question is are you sure that fuel is being drawn out of the tank?
Im not 100% sure of the model number....its a 60,000 BTU Reddy Heater. non-thermostat model. where is this pump at exactly? what are the "vanes" exactly?

thanks to the rest...Ill look into that "rotor kit" thingy.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #20
nxstang

Now it needs an ignitor....this one broke while pulling it out for inspection....they offer a 70k btu heater for 169.95....i think its used-refurbished.

they charge $30 for labor no matter what they do + parts. They told me ignitors are around 50 bucks. Then whatever parts it will take to fix the current problem.

would it be best to A) trash this one and buy the 169.95 one? B) get this one fixed no matter the cost (unless its like $175+)? C) find a cheapo used one of like craigslist for 100 bucks or so?

Thanks.