Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
kmorgancraw

Default Loosening torque? Nitrocat 1200k vs 2135TiMAX

My CP 7740 has worn out after only a year of well oiled use so it is time to buy a new gun. So....The latest buzz term in impact guns seems to be loosening torque. The two guns listed in my title supposedly have 1200 and 1100 ft lbs of "loosening torque" but their "working torque" specs top out around 780-800 ft lbs. Whats the difference and is it just hype?

Looking around the forums here I can find a lot of posts comparing the 2135TiMAX to older Nitrocat/Aircat guns, but none comparing the IR to the newer 1200k. Anyone have any experience with the 1200k? Both companies offer a 2 year warranty, but can I expect a hassle free process if it came to it? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
kmorgancraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
tonydanzah

Default Re: Loosening torque? Nitrocat 1200k vs 2135TiMAX

the nitrocat is supposedly made by pissed off former IR engineers, (IR)usa assembly vs (NitroCat)chinese
tonydanzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
LGMechanical

The winner is the MG725 from Snap On It's a bit pricey unless you can buy one off ebay. But it's definately the strongest 1/2" impact wrench on the market.

I would go IR over Nitrocat. I hear they fall apart quickly. At least this is what my Mac dealer told me.

LGMechanical
Luke
LGMechanical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
vssjim
Alliance Member

Nitro Cat says USA Assembled on the box and paper work also.
vssjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
tonydanzah

really? thought they were chinese

wow the snap on unit is really a monster with 30 more ft lb lol

you can also pick up used ir 2135 cheap, i got a used one on here for $105 shipped

Last edited by tonydanzah; 12-16-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydanzah View Post
the nitrocat is supposedly made by pissed off former IR engineers, (IR)usa assembly vs (NitroCat)chinese
Not true about the IR Engineers.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
tonydanzah

good to know, thats why i wrote supposedly
Old 12-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
LGMechanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydanzah View Post
really? thought they were chinese

wow the snap on unit is really a monster with 30 more ft lb lol

you can also pick up used ir 2135 cheap, i got a used one on here for $105 shipped
Reserve your sarcasm.

LGMechanical
Luke
LGMechanical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
tonydanzah

how dare you

was that you that said that genius had a warehouse with storefront by you?
Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
psychoclaw84

I have owned the Mac Tools Version of the Nitrocat, Mac Tools 1/2" Composite Impact Wrench Model Number AW480Q, and cannot say how the 1200K performs.

Personally, the Nitrocat did not feel as powerful as a Twin Hammer Impact. This is my observation, not based specific data to back up this claim, however I think this is due to the feel of the Dual Clutch vs. Twin Hammer operation. Also the Mac Dealer said that it is more sensitive to water vapors in the compressed air line than the AW434M. But the AW434M is a bullet proof IR design so it is hard to compare sensitivity. A positive trait for the Nitrocat is the quiet operation.

Based on the feel and sensitivity to water vapors, I sold the nearly new wrench on ebay with the original packing with the warranty paperwork.

The replacement impact wrench is a Snap On MG725 which is a twin hammer design and which I like very much.

The 2135TiMAX, is a outstanding impact wrench with a lot of happy owners, it has more positive reports/use than the Nitrocat owners report.

Loosening Torque vs. operating torque

Not clear on how they differ, but I do think it is based on the hammering effect the wrench has on the bolt which is added to the operating torque output of the wrench.

I have a thread regarding the Best 1/2 impact wrench, a reply I got was using proper fittings, such as the Milton HVLP couplers will maximize the torque and performance of your impact wrench. I REALLY NEED TO HAVE THIS UPGRADE.

Here is the link: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=36135
Old 12-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
gofastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoclaw84 View Post
I have owned the Mac Tools Version of the Nitrocat, Mac Tools 1/2" Composite Impact Wrench Model Number AW480Q, and cannot say how the 1200K performs.

Personally, the Nitrocat did not feel as powerful as a Twin Hammer Impact. This is my observation, not based specific data to back up this claim, however I think this is due to the feel of the Dual Clutch vs. Twin Hammer operation. Also the Mac Dealer said that it is more sensitive to water vapors in the compressed air line than the AW434M. But the AW434M is a bullet proof IR design so it is hard to compare sensitivity. A positive trait for the Nitrocat is the quiet operation.

Based on the feel and sensitivity to water vapors, I sold the nearly new wrench on ebay with the original packing with the warranty paperwork.

The replacement impact wrench is a Snap On MG725 which is a twin hammer design and which I like very much.

The 2135TiMAX, is a outstanding impact wrench with a lot of happy owners, it has more positive reports/use than the Nitrocat owners report.

Loosening Torque vs. operating torque

Not clear on how they differ, but I do think it is based on the hammering effect the wrench has on the bolt which is added to the operating torque output of the wrench.

I have a thread regarding the Best 1/2 impact wrench, a reply I got was using proper fittings, such as the Milton HVLP couplers will maximize the torque and performance of your impact wrench. I REALLY NEED TO HAVE THIS UPGRADE.

Here is the link: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=36135
operating torque it the only number you should look at, it is a much better representation of the rotational force the gun puts out, loosening torque is bullshit, it it the number of foot-lbs you can tighten a fastener to and still have the gun break it loose under laboratory conditions.
If I could only have one gun it would be my Nitrocat 1375xl mini 1/2", its super light ans small, however I have yet to come across an automotive/light duty fastener it couldn't [break] loose.
OTOH my 2135QTiMAX is a real socket-cracker, it is the ultimate torque-monster IMO.

One thing to keep in mind, I believe NitroCat rates their NEW impacts at 120 psi, not 90, so the power ratings are a bit off.
gofastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
mrshaun

the nitro cat guns work well as long as you oil them... that is the main reason for failure.
The ir guns have to be greased a lot to keep the motor cool while under heavy use. once you pull the trigger all the grease slings to the outside of the case.
the mg725 uses a sealed motor with synthetic oil. keeps it cooler while under heavy use.

Snap On ratchet repair tool SPP744
Holds the ball to the spring while installing new parts.

Old style track drawer removal tool 52638 ( remover)
thin little piece of metal used to release the latches on older snap on boxes.

Snap On Hard handles are back.
hard handle numbers thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...handle+numbers
If you have a ? email me, you will get a faster response than a PM.
mrshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
toolfreak

I don't like my IR, the buttons in the back fall out when hammering on a bolt or switching directions.
toolfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
tonydanzah

can't you just order a new housing to fix that?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
nate379
Banned

MG725 looks like a nice unit. About the same cost as the IR 2135. I think I paid $225 for my IR and the Snappy gun is $233.

The 2135 is 1000ft/lbs, the Snappy gun is 1190ft/lbs. HMmmmmmm
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
tonydanzah

thats not operating torque snap on is 810 ft lb IR is 780 ft lb

Last edited by tonydanzah; 12-17-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #17
nate379
Banned

What are the numbers I posted then? I took them off the spec sheets.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #18
bigsteve1969

My MG725 doesnt have any balls... ive had it for 6 months and it just wont break alot of stuff loose. 1190ft/lb breakaway rating wouldnt bust off a bolt tq'd to 255 thats not right
bigsteve1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #19
gofastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve1969 View Post
My MG725 doesnt have any balls... ive had it for 6 months and it just wont break alot of stuff loose. 1190ft/lb breakaway rating wouldnt bust off a bolt tq'd to 255 thats not right
I too tried the MG725, didnt care for it.
gofastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #20
Marlin

There are three different torque ratings for impacts. Max Torque, Wroking/operating Torque and Loosening torque.
Max Torque-This is the maximum torque that the impact will achieve when tightening a fastner, this can be stated in both forward and reverse, it is checked in reverse using LH fasteners. Final torque achieved is checked using a torque wrench or converted from a tension reading that is measured the test fixture. Not all manufactures use the same run time, bolt type, bolt size or thread lubrication so results vary a lot.

Working/Operating torque- Basically the recomended operating torque range for day to day use so the tool is not destroyed prematurely. All manufacturers choose this differently.

Loosening torque- The max torque you can tighten a bolt to and remove it in a certain timeframe. Bolt size and timeframe affect the result and it is up to the manufacturer what they use.

Other things to consider, manufacturers test at 90 psig at the inlet of the tool when it is running freespeed. Most users have a fixed air supply so a tool that uses more air will have a lower pressure at the inlet than a tool that uses less air when used in the real world. So one tool may run at 90 psig on you air line but one with higher CFM may only be running at 85 psig and therefore not hitting the performance that is stated by the manufacturer. There is a lot of variables in testing impacts and there is not a industry standard, so be careful when strictly looking at catalog values. Hope this helps.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote