Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #81
twardnw

Default Re: Drill Press - Bench Top vs. Floor Standing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbumper View Post
If one of y'alls gets me some pictures of the logo and some dimensions I can make a file which you can take to any sign shop to have printed.
Pretty new to the board, but I'd be willing to make vinyl for you guys. I'm not great with design work, but if an Illustrator file could be produced, I can print and cut these.
twardnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #82
Dan in Pasadena

Very generous offer, thank you. I'm the only one (so far!) that needs a sticker to replace the factory aluminum one because I'm the only stupid one that destroyed his with a pressure washer!

I'm going to have to grind the heads off the rivets to get them out apparently. Then I'll lay it out flat and get a friend of mine who is VERY proficient with Illustrator and Photoshop and can create the file. I'll PM you with it later, after the holidays if that's ok?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #83
jmh21586

Quote:
Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
Pretty new to the board, but I'd be willing to make vinyl for you guys. I'm not great with design work, but if an Illustrator file could be produced, I can print and cut these.

If you can you could make some good money on Garage Journal I'm guessing.
jmh21586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #84
krooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Evintho - No wonder this press was cheaper than yours, it's FUGLY!

I almost changed my mind and didn't buy it. I think the only reason I did was to save it from the junk man because this owner was never going to even clean it, much less restore it. He was a total slob. His house showed it, his yard showed it and his truck showed it.

Note the added-by-an-idiot electrical box screwed into the side and ne of the handles missing and replaced with a length of allthread rod! Also the broken drill bit wedged into the chuck. The previous owner didn't have a 1/2" chuck key so I'll pick one up.

I wet the whole thing down with heavy duty degreaser, scrubbed with it a brush and hit it with my pressure washer - mistake - I messed up the Craftsman logo. I'm gonna have to find a way to repair it or replace it. I could just take it off but it kinda "makes" the Art Deco look.

I'm certain Sears no longer sells parts for these oldies, do they? Oh and the Model No. on the tag on the base plate is:103.24531. Anyone know where I can find a key to the number?

Adding an electrical box with a switch is a very common deal in machine shops...I have an electric junction box bolted to my Delta drill press, had a similar box on my ironworker and there's one my beltsander... not unusual at all.
krooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #85
Jay H 237

I have a similar Cman drill press I posted about here with pics. Includes pics and info on the optional multi-speed third pulley set up,

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...6&postcount=29
Old 12-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #86
evintho

I'm gonna install some sort of toggle switch to my head casing also, although it won't be as big and gaudy as Dan's (sorry Dan)! I need it to replace the funky ungrounded, original rotary switch thats on it now.
I'm also gonna install a retractable key chain to the front of the head unit to hold the chuck key. Stole this idea from another member on the board.

I've also got an idea for a multi-speed pulley setup. I'll post a how-to when I get it going.
evintho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #87
Stuart in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by evintho View Post
I'm gonna install some sort of toggle switch to my head casing also, although it won't be as big and gaudy as Dan's (sorry Dan)! I need it to replace the funky ungrounded, original rotary switch thats on it now.
I'm also gonna install a retractable key chain to the front of the head unit to hold the chuck key. Stole this idea from another member on the board.
In your photo, there's a little hole in the table right back next to the vertical tube - that's for storing the chuck key. I have the same drill press (although mine is a little older.) I haven't done anything about it yet but I've had the idea of putting a microswitch underneath that hole and wiring it so that the key has to be in the hole before you can turn the drill press on. On the other hand, a retractable key chain isn't a bad idea either.

The on-off switch on mine is mounted back next to the motor; if you do that it's easy enough to reach and you don't have to make any holes in the casting. Another way is to use a foot switch, like this:

I used to work at a place where we had one on the drill press, and it was real handy - you push the switch with your foot and the drill press runs, take your foot off and and it shuts off.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #88
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks to all you guys for the input.
I'm going to ditch that big gaudy electrical box. I'm going to Bondo the holes in the head unit too. I want my press to look as original as possible once I'm done with it. The floor switch won't work for me because I have a 100lb dog who is curious as hell. But I can see that a toggle on the cord is pretty awkward and a bit dangerous too - leaning forward towardthe spinning drill to reach the switch!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #89
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks to all you guys for the input.
I'm going to ditch that big gaudy electrical box. I'm going to Bondo the holes in the head unit too. I want my press to look as original as possible once I'm done with it. The floor switch won't work for me because I have a 100lb dog who is curious as hell. But I can see that a toggle on the cord is pretty awkward and a bit dangerous too - leaning forward toward the spinning drill to reach the switch!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #90
PCO6

I switched from a bench top to a floor model. I had a good bench model that sat on top of a dedicated bench/cabinet that had drawers for storing bits, accessories, jigs, etc. I preferred though to be able to occassionally move the drill press away from the wall and out on to the shop floor for more versatility. My floor model drill press now sits next to my shop press. I store my bits, etc. in a roller cabinet that sits in the open area below my shop press.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drill Press - 1.jpg (121.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Drill Press - 2.jpg (125.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Drill - Shop Presses - 2.jpg (136.9 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by PCO6; 01-01-2010 at 12:36 PM.
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #91
krooser

If you guys want variable speeds on you drill press buy an inexpensive VFD (variable frequency drive)... I'm going to convert my 3 Phase machines to use them with my 1 phase power... the variable speed is a bonus.
krooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #92
rwhite692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart in MN View Post
Another way is to use a foot switch....
I used to work at a place where we had one on the drill press, and it was real handy - you push the switch with your foot and the drill press runs, take your foot off and and it shuts off.
+1.... I much prefer having a foot switch on a drill press. if things "get out of hand" as can happen on a drill press, you can kill the power much quicker than you ever could by reaching for the power switch with your hands.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310
rwhite692 is offline   Reply With Quote