Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
HotRodKush

Default Best paint for outdoor metal?

What would you guys say is best for painting metal that will see extended outdoor weather - laquer or enamel? How about the easiest to apply? Least mess? Can you recommend a brand?

I'm doing some small part restoration work and I'm looking for paint options. I'll likely be starting with rattle cans, and eventually progress to a spray gun setup if I decide to do more of the same type of work in the future.

Last edited by HotRodKush; 12-27-2009 at 07:54 PM.
HotRodKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
scooby074

Default Re: Best paint for outdoor metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodKush View Post
What would you guys say is best for painting metal that will see extended outdoor weather - laquer or enamel? How about the easiest to apply? Least mess? Can you recommend a brand?

I'm doing some small part restoration work for fun, but I'm not familiar with paint at all - I'll likely be starting with rattle cans, and eventually progress to a spray gun setup if I decide to do more of the same type of work in the future.
What are you painting?

If its just stuff lawn furniture or other metal stuff, then i like a good implement enamel (like Massey Fergusons) of Rustoleum.

If its a vehicle and your trying to do a budget paintjob, ive had pretty good luck with the MF enamel as well. Just add some hardener. I believe the MF and Deere enamels are made by Valspar.

more expensive auto jobs i use nason urethane. Not a really expensive paint but good in its price range.

Last edited by scooby074; 12-23-2009 at 11:36 PM.
scooby074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
HotRodKush

Thanks, it's actually for an antique license plate. I've always loved restoring small, beaten up antique parts and tools, but I've never had to paint any of them so this is new to me. Also, this might be going on a car again, so I need something that will last for a while in all sorts of conditions.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
evintho

Rustoleum! Of course, nothing is gonna last without proper paint prep, but I'm sure you know that. Rustoleum is a good enamel that when applied properly takes a couple of days to fully cure, but when it does, it's rock hard!
evintho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
Vinko

I often use Rustoleum as well.

What I want to try, though, is the Fine Paints of Europe stuff (they distribute this Dutch paint) -- a friend has used it for a lot of outdoor metal work and he said it's just amazing stuff. It's crazy-expensive at something like $80+ a gallon though But if it was really the quality people say it is, I wouldn't mind painting a few doors with it.
Vinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
caper

Send a message via MSN to caper

Tremclad is a great paint for outdoor metal.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
krusty the clown

KRUSTOLEUM........the only way to go........

DEGENERATE Main Entry: 1de·gen·er·ate
Pronunciation: \di-ˈjen-rət, -ˈje-nə-, dē-\

Date: 15th century
1 a : having declined or become less specialized (as in nature, character, structure, or function) from an ancestral or former state b : having sunk to a condition below that which is normal to a type; especially : having sunk to a lower and usually corrupt and vicious state c : degraded 2
krusty the clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
rickairmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty the clown View Post
KRUSTOLEUM........the only way to go........

I am going to vote for Rustoleum myself . Heres my latest Rustoleum paint job LOL.

Rick
rickairmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
stricht8

Rust oleum is the stuff. I've painted underhood car parts, underbody car parts, antique iron gates and more with this stuff. I've even painted a 1950s metal kitchen cabinet (which ended up in my garage) flawlessly with this stuff.
stricht8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Elroy
Banned

Some of the BEST coatings for protection of steel substrates are epoxy base coats topped by a polyurethane.

The epoxy protects the metal by completely sealing out moisture and air while the polyurethane protects the epoxy from degradation by UV rays.

These epoxy base coats are a catalyzed product and they're not cheap. They are also a PIA to apply and must be top coated for long term performance. They are typically only available in 5 gallons "kits" and once mixed have a limited pot life.

Maybe that's not what you wanted to hear but these systems would yield excellent long term corrosion protection while retaining a high gloss.
Elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
rikmeister

best paint period for metal is por15. i will put the link for it. i did my bilco doors with . had to repaint it every year like clock work and each year it was worse. then i put on por 15 that was three years ago. now i only paint it when the paint looks old or faded. you can paint anything over the top of it. it prevents rust. expensive thoufgh.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Pre...nt/products/1/
rikmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
msnow

Prime it first with Tough-Prime and then you will be in business to spray whatever your heart's desire on it you want.
msnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #13
mossyboy6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikmeister View Post
best paint period for metal is por15. i will put the link for it. i did my bilco doors with . had to repaint it every year like clock work and each year it was worse. then i put on por 15 that was three years ago. now i only paint it when the paint looks old or faded. you can paint anything over the top of it. it prevents rust. expensive thoufgh.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Pre...nt/products/1/
yup, por 15 is good stuff.
mossyboy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:10 AM   #14
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Por-15 is good, but it has no UV protection. It will turn chalky colored and lose its gloss over time. However, you can use their Blackcote product, which is basically the same stuff with UV protection added.

Por-15 is fine for stuff that won't be in direct sunlight. But I tried it on my fence, and then had to put the Blackcote stuff over it when it started to fade.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
nonhog

I've had good luck with Hammerite.

http://www.masterchem.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=42
nonhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
scooby074

I ll also chime in with a recommendation for POR. I didnt mention it earlier due to its price (way more than Rustoleum or implement enamels). POR 15 has been good as has their 2 part Hardnose Urethane, but its $$ so i only use it when i have to.

Rustoleum makes a "hammertone" paint thats pretty good. I cant find the actual Hammertone paints up here in canada so i dont know how they work.
scooby074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
sberry

Quote:
Some of the BEST coatings for protection of steel substrates are epoxy base coats topped by a polyurethane.

The epoxy protects the metal by completely sealing out moisture and air while the polyurethane protects the epoxy from degradation by UV rays.

These epoxy base coats are a catalyzed product and they're not cheap. They are also a PIA to apply and must be top coated for long term performance. They are typically only available in 5 gallons "kits" and once mixed have a limited pot life.

Maybe that's not what you wanted to hear but these systems would yield excellent long term corrosion protection while retaining a high gloss.
Yup but not usually for the DIY crowd. My jobber carries the Industrial Imron line, super durable, compared to enamels they look better at 15 yrs than the equipment stuff does in 1. They have excellent matching factory pak colors, comes in gallons.
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #18
sberry

About any single stage car enamel would be as good as anything though. Get a touch up gun, allows for mixing up small amounts.
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
HotRodKush

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the advice. I'm hoping to go out and get some paint next week.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 AM   #20
Vinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberry View Post
Yup but not usually for the DIY crowd. My jobber carries the Industrial Imron line, super durable, compared to enamels they look better at 15 yrs than the equipment stuff does in 1. They have excellent matching factory pak colors, comes in gallons.

I've got about 25 gallons of DuPont imron in primary colors and black. Great stuff. I use it mostly in an airgun.

For certain jobs, price is less of an consideration for me.

Especially if it's for outside. I'd rather have to only paint it once (or every 15 years) than every couple.
Vinko is offline   Reply With Quote