Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
walrus

Default Montgomery Ward, 250 amp ac/dc welder

There is one of these local to me on Craigs list, says it works fine but he wants 200 bucks for it, that seems to high to me. Anybody use one, seen one? Whats it worth. I guess the leads and all are good, decals and such on case are in good condition. Must be 30 yrs old?
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Mickey O

Default Re: Montgomery Ward, 250 amp ac/dc welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
There is one of these local to me on Craigs list, says it works fine but he wants 200 bucks for it, that seems to high to me. Anybody use one, seen one? Whats it worth. I guess the leads and all are good, decals and such on case are in good condition. Must be 30 yrs old?

I've got one, it's a rebranded Century, works fine, the price seems a little high to me.

Cheap tools are for chumps.

...the wealthy can currently “accumulate many millions of dollars in these accounts, substantially more than is needed to fund reasonable levels of retirement saving.”
Mickey O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #3

My father has one and got it to replace his lincoln AC only model. He likes it a lot. Not sure what he paid used, but nice unit. He also has a century mig welder that he likes as well. Both appear to be well made.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
walrus

He called me back, would take 150. He said he had another buyer and I said it was still too much money and he hung up. Might have been worth 150 though as he said it was in good shape?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
sberry

You can shoot yourself in the foot here, new one similar is 400 minimum and they work good long time. I would have coughed the 150 in a minute. There is a point about shopping where one just becomes a tightwad pain in the rear (not aimed at anyone) but, wtf, how much difference would it make and how much effort to source one for cheaper, I wouldnt blame a guy for hanging up.
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberry View Post
You can shoot yourself in the foot here, new one similar is 400 minimum and they work good long time. I would have coughed the 150 in a minute. There is a point about shopping where one just becomes a tightwad pain in the rear (not aimed at anyone) but, wtf, how much difference would it make and how much effort to source one for cheaper, I wouldnt blame a guy for hanging up.
Yeah, thats why I said it might be worth 150. I never saw it so I have no idea what shape it was in, I only know what he told me. I didn't blame him for hanging up either, I thought it was funny. He probably thought I was an idiot, oh well
Old 12-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
35mastr

I gave a Monkey Wards stick welder away about 2 years ago. Just did not have any use for a stick welder with the other 2 welders that I already had.

Mac tools For Sale Here
George
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
walrus

So the ad for this welder was placed again, this time no dollar amount. What do you think this welder is worth in decent shape? When did Montgomery Ward go out of business? Trying to figure the age of the welder. I need a stick welder, most AC/DC units I see online 500 or 600 bucks. Is it worth 150.00? in decent shape
Old 12-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
Mickey O

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
So the ad for this welder was placed again, this time no dollar amount. What do you think this welder is worth in decent shape? When did Montgomery Ward go out of business? Trying to figure the age of the welder. I need a stick welder, most AC/DC units I see online 500 or 600 bucks. Is it worth 150.00? in decent shape
If it's what you want sure it's worth $150, test it out before buying it. Keep in mind a welder that size is going to require a lot of juice, you may have to run a new circuit and install a new breaker.

Cheap tools are for chumps.

...the wealthy can currently “accumulate many millions of dollars in these accounts, substantially more than is needed to fund reasonable levels of retirement saving.”
Mickey O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey O View Post
If it's what you want sure it's worth $150, test it out before buying it. Keep in mind a welder that size is going to require a lot of juice, you may have to run a new circuit and install a new breaker.
How old is your welder? I'm guessing its the same unit. Does yours run on a 50 amp circuit?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
walrus

The guy still had the welder, picked it up for 150, struck an arc on both AC and DC so it works and looks to be in decent shape. The AC cord needs some repair but no big deal. For what I plan to do and how much I'll use it, seems like a good deal to me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0487.jpg (145.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 01-05-2010, 02:18 AM   #12
Jared

150 sounds like a good price would go for 250-300 around here. I have an ac only machine really wish I had DC.
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote