Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
OldSchoolSS

Default Extreme Garage Opener

Hey Guys,

Not sure if this is the right section. Menards has a 1/2 HP "Extreme Garage" chain drive garage door opener on sale for 88 dollars after rebate right now. Does anybody have experience with this unit?

I just bought a house a month ago and I'm tired of messing around with the door every morning and since I don't have a key for it I'm using a vice grip on the latches for a lock right now. A garage door opener would solve both issues.

Thanks,

OldSchoolSS

Last edited by OldSchoolSS; 01-05-2010 at 12:16 PM.
OldSchoolSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Costner

Default Re: Home Extreme Opener

I've seen those units at Menards, and I'm sure they are just a rebadged entry level unit from a larger company, but I can't be sure. I wouldn't doubt that they are made in China, but you may want to look at the actual box and see if you can find anything.

They are sold under the "Xtreme Garage" label and from what I've seen the other Xtreme Garage products are cheap garbage, so I would probably avoid it. Sure it might work fine for a while, but if you ever need replacement parts would you be able to find them? I sure couldn't seem to find anything online - not even a website for the "Xtreme Garage" company.

I'd just watch for a sale on a Chamberlain / Liftmaster, Genie, or Craftsman unit. At least you can always get parts for them if something would ever fail. You will also note the only reason that Xtreme unit is $88 is because there is a $30 rebate - so the true initial cost is $118. For that money you can find a lower level (1/3hp) Chamberlain on sale. Or spend a few bucks more and you can get a 1/2hp Chamberlain on sale at Menards right now for $139 - and it even includes two remotes and a 3 button wall control panel.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
tdkkart

My experience in this matter if that you will wait a LONG time, if not forever, to get your rebate back from Menards.
I have had 2 Craftsman openers, owned one for 10 years, the other for 14, never had so much as a glitch from either one. The openers in our current house are Stanley's, I'm sure they are original to the house from 1976, working just fine.

Don't cheap out on an opener. The garage door opener is one of those things that can and will cause you a major headache on a daily basis if it's not right. Think about it, you use it at least twice a day, the smallest recognizeable fault in it's operation will grind on your nerves twice a day. Most people I know don't need any more stress in their lives.
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
OldSchoolSS

Thanks for the recommendations guys. The door is really light, so that's why I was thinking the cheap 1/2 HP unit would do. I also thought that this unit was a rebaged unit from another company since I couldn't find any information on it online. Costner, thanks for the catch of "Extreme Garage" I was going off of memory when i wrote the post.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
kbs2244

Don't forget that a Menards rebate is really what is called an "in store credit."
You can only spend the rebate at Menards.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
OldSchoolSS

I stopped and looked at it tonight, the unit didn't look too bad, but it's another 20 dollars for an extra remote. So then you're up to 108 so it's pretty close to the name brands then. I passed.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
teaki

The Extreme openers at Menards are a direct import from China while the brands such as Genie or Liftmaster are manufactured in US (Genie) or Mexico (Liftmaster).
teaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
at_h2o

Chinese garage openers = BAD.

If youre looking for cheap go for a simple Sears chain drive, will be about $130, but theyve been proven to work.
at_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
at_h2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_h2o View Post
Chinese garage openers = BAD.

If youre looking for cheap go for a simple Sears chain drive, will be about $130, but theyve been proven to work.
Also, I went ahead and Googled "Xtreme Garage openers". Never head of the brand before. but their not a rebranded Genie, Sears, Lift Master, etc, which isnt good.
at_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Colburn

As a tech I can tell you to stay away from these openers. No parts are available a d are considered throw away machines. If it breaks and you call for service, nobody will touch it.

Side note:

Chamberlain manufactures Liftmaster, Sears, Craftsman. Stanley has long been out of business and any recent Stanley branded machines are not Stanley, but cheep machines from a company that bought the rights to the name. Incidentally, they have gone out of business.
Colburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Mickey O

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolSS View Post
Thanks for the recommendations guys. The door is really light, so that's why I was thinking the cheap 1/2 HP unit would do. I also thought that this unit was a rebaged unit from another company since I couldn't find any information on it online. Costner, thanks for the catch of "Extreme Garage" I was going off of memory when i wrote the post.
Take the tension off the spring(s) and see how light it is. All garage doors are (or should be) easy to open if they have the right spring tension and the rollers are good. It's worth spending the little extra money to get a decent opener.

Cheap tools are for chumps.

...the wealthy can currently “accumulate many millions of dollars in these accounts, substantially more than is needed to fund reasonable levels of retirement saving.”
Mickey O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
Gary S

I've had a number of garage door openers over the years, and haven't had a bad one yet. I never purchased a Craftsman opener myself, but I've been asked to repair other people's Craftsman openers. I've seen more problems with Craftsman openers than all the other brands together, so that is one I'd avoid.

I installed a Stanley in 1992. It is still working with no repairs.
I installed a Genie in 1976. It is still working with no repairs.
My current garage has two Linear openers built around the 1960s. They are currently in their 3rd garage and still work every day with no repairs.

I have no experience with the Home Extreme opener, but if I wanted one, I'd look into who actually makes it and go from there.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #13
Stee6043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colburn View Post
As a tech I can tell you to stay away from these openers. No parts are available a d are considered throw away machines. If it breaks and you call for service, nobody will touch it.

Side note:

Chamberlain manufactures Liftmaster, Sears, Craftsman. Stanley has long been out of business and any recent Stanley branded machines are not Stanley, but cheep machines from a company that bought the rights to the name. Incidentally, they have gone out of business.
Stanley has been a part of Black and Decker for several years now. I'm not aware that Stanley has ever "gone out of business" but rather, like most companies, has been constantly involved in mergers and acquisitions over the years.
Stee6043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
Stee6043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colburn View Post

Side note:

Also worth noting, regarding "cheap machines", Stanley Black and Decker also owns Delta, Dewalt and Porter Cable and has for the better part of the last decade. I rarely hear people trash talking the above brands.
Stee6043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
PeterT

I have a chamberlin and my biggest complaint is the slow speed at which the door opens. It really is annoying, I should have bought a higher speed opener. THere is an adjustment, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #16
Norcal

Black & Decker merged into Stanley, not the other way.
Norcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #17
where2

When one of the gears stripped in my Craftsman opener after many many years of fine service, I was able to call sears parts direct and order parts for an opener that came with my house when I bought the house in 1998. The replacement gear was under $20!
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #18
deckochip

Well, I am not sure how to start this, but I think I need to give it a try. The Extreme Openers are Manufactured by a Taiwan owned Company Named Guardian. They operate 2 manufacturing operations, one In Taiwan, the other in China. My Company, Decko Products, is an 80+ year old Minnesota based company. We are doing the Consumer distribution for Guardian in North America. Guardian has been manufacturing Residential Garage Door openers exclusively for Napoleon Lynx up until a few years ago. The exclusive agreement ended and they were looking to expand the customer base. To address the subject at had, Guardian does make private label Openers for Menard's in their Extreme Brand.
The web site for parts & information is www.GDOhelp.com. And they have a toll free wats line to contact customer service directly. 1-877-GDO-4402 (1-877-436-4402)
Guardian is a very well run, modern factory and stands buy their products. The thing that intrigued me about getting into this business was that between Chamberlain & Genie they control almost all the residential market. And I though as a good old American boy, maybe they needed a little competition. Our goal and we believe we accomplish it, (but that is from our view) is to bring to market an opener that meets or exceeds any equivalent unit available in the market. I have comp spec sheets if anyone is interested. I just added my e-mail to the site here. To get to the original questions asked, All the parts are stocked here at Decko in Minnesota. Customer service is here too. As far as the pricing Menard's has in the market, we cannot control that, and what they put out with the rebate is way below their cost. It is their gamble as to how many folks redeem them. They don't share that with us. Yes there are a few negative comments out there on the product. I might say that they are all from folks who have not contacted us. We try to contact them if we can, but it is difficult to do. at least in our capabilities. In a nutshell, we are a small company who thinks they can play with the big boys. And we have an idea of what is involved. Good units, good warranty and good people our customers can get a hold of if they need help.
This probably has been to long already and most who have stated to read it have left or gone to sleep. Please visit the web sites, get to know us, and give us a try. anybody can make promises, the proof is in the doin - not the sayin. If you have gotten this far, thanks.
deckochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #19
Jagmandave

Thanks for responding, it's nice to hear from the company it self, to get the other side of the story.
'80 Mini Clubman Estate
Jagmandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
mbatarga

Note - the original post referring to the rebate is from 2010.
mbatarga is offline   Reply With Quote