Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Tom2

Default Ugh.. Another idiot asking "What air compressor/sand blaster???"

I need something that will work well for sandblasting. I do a lot of repairing of old car parts. For years I've used wire wheels on drills to clean parts, get rid of rust etc.. But I know a sandblaster would work 100% better, and be cleaner, faster, etc..

The problem is, I really have no idea what to buy.

Right now, I have no air compressor. My Dad has a 33gal Craftsman. It works well for some stuff..but, it's ridiculously loud.

I connected a $10 HF sandblater gun (where you add the beads to the top, like a paintball gun) and tried to sandblast. Basically it didn't work at all.
I was just screwing around though, and had no idea what I was doing.

But now, I'd like to do things right.

I have $400 worth of HD store credit. Honestly, I should probably use it for home remodeling.. but I'm super tempted to get an air compressor with it. They have Husky (CH) compressors pretty cheap. They are also oiled - so, I assume they'll be quite a bit quieter compared to the Craftsmans.

I can get one that's 220..but would prefer 120/standard outlet. That way it's more versatile, won't overload my 150A house box, etc.. But, if it makes a big difference, maybe I'll go 220.

Interested in this one: 60gal, 240V, 135psi, 11.5/10.2 SCFM @ 40/90 PSI
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I'm surprised they are only rated at 135 psi? Is it the CFM that's more important? Most of the craftsmans are now 150-175psi, but have lower CFM.

Do I need a pressurized pot/tank as well?

Are the cheap Harbor freight cabinets any good? The cheap $80 one will probably be big enough for most engine parts.

How air tight are they? The garage is connected to the house, so I really need it to be very very near dust free outside of the cabinet. I've got some puck lights I could mount inside.

Anyone have any pictures of their sandblast setup?

Any super good deals right now? I can probably use a 20% off Harbor freight coupon at HD. That'll make a big difference...

Last edited by Tom2; 01-15-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Tom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Bender78

Default Re: Ugh.. Another idiot asking "What air compressor/sand blaster???"

It's been my experience that all blast cabinets leak some.....it's just a matter of how much. The HF cabinet works fine, but the door seal leaves a lot to be desired. I have a home made cabinet based on the TP Tools design and it works pretty well. I run it with a Cambell Hausfeld compresser that is pretty much the same as the Huskey from HD. It works hard to keep up with the air demand when I'm doing a big job, so sometimes you have to let it catch up. The blast cabinet is definitely the most taxing job the compressor has to do in my shop but since I blast only occasionally, the 10.8 CFM compressor is fine.

You may find that you need to add some kind of dryer into your air line to keep the sand flowing. Even though my air runs through 30 feet of 3/4" copper from the compressor to the blast cabinet, I added a Motorguard filter to make sure it is plenty dry, especially in the summer.
Bender78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Tom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender78 View Post

You may find that you need to add some kind of dryer into your air line to keep the sand flowing. Even though my air runs through 30 feet of 3/4" copper from the compressor to the blast cabinet, I added a Motorguard filter to make sure it is plenty dry, especially in the summer.
Thanks for the advice.

That seems to be what I'm reading as well..That its very important to have very dry air..

I could probably make some weather stripping for the door seal - if that's the biggest downfall.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
bimmer1980

keep in mind that the size of the air compressor is directly related to the diameter of the tip on the sand blaster.

I've got a 7.5hp 2-stage compressor with about 160gal tank set up (2-80gal tanks). with the Sand blaster that I have (it's an upright 200 lb tank) I can still run thru all of the air in a short amount of time.

When in doubt, bigger is better in the case of the air compressor.

Currently working on a new garage....foundation dug, footing poured and 4 courses of 12" block complete.... waiting for the mud to dry up...
bimmer1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
crewchief888

the last dealer i worked at, we had a scatblast glass bead cabinet in the rebuild room. , we had a huge 3stage compressor supplying an 18 bay heavy equipment shop and rebuild room. the 200lb line pressure was little much
at the cabinet we had a water seperator, and regulator set to around 90 psi., air volume is your friend. i've got an older CM oilless compessor in my garage,noisy as hell, but for short blasts it's ok. i use a CM portable siphon sand blaster that i picked up used for $10
it works for small jobs, like in places i cant get a flapdisk or wire wheel into,or stuff too small to hang onto and wire wheel at the same time
i get my blasting sand @ HD or menards

all depends on how much room you have, how much amperage you have available, how much money you wanna spend, and how much you use it.

crewchief888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
OccupantRJ

The best way to put it is that a sandblaster or blasting cabinet will suck the bottom out of a compressor tank. I have two 5 hp and a 2 hp compressor to run my cabinets. That combo does OK. The only time I ever had an EXCESS of air is when I would hook up my 75 CFM portable sandblasting compressor to a 125 gallon receiver tank, with a through the wall fitting to power up my whole shop. Now that was a real blast!

RJ

It's always easier to find a reason NOT to do something.....
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
1984GMC
Banned

yes CFM is way more important than PSI PSI like HP is an advertising gimmick.
1984GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
OccupantRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984GMC View Post
yes CFM is way more important than PSI PSI like HP is an advertising gimmick.
That's why i have YET to understand why everyone seems to love a 2 stage compressor at 175 PSI so much. More power! Arrrggg, Arrrggg! Most air tools are rated for only around 90 to 100 PSI. anyway. After that, the volume is what counts. I can see where the big truck guys would need it, but most home shops won't.

It's always easier to find a reason NOT to do something.....
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
tcianci

Send a message via AIM to tcianci

A 2 stage compressor excels at attaining higher pressures. For any given tank size, the higher the pressure, the more cubic feet of air can be stored in it. The tank size is stated in gallons but the actual amount of air in it is dependent on the pressure. A higher pressure stores more cubic feet of air in the tank. This is not the same as the displacement of the compressor. The higher the pressure, resulting in more air in the tank, changes the duty cycle or percentage of time that the compressor actually runs to deliver a given volume of air. Shorter operating times afforded by the higher pressure help to keep operating and stored air temperatures low. So, it's not all bragging rights or mine is bigger than yours type of stuff, there's good technical reason for it.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
Tom2

Good information..Wish I could find a good, used 2 stage on Craigslist. Nothing really in my area.

Is there an affordable 2 stage for a homeowner? (i.e. something around $500)
Old 01-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
larry4406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender78 View Post
...I have a home made cabinet based on the TP Tools design and it works pretty well...
Bender78 we are still waiting for your update over here http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...blast+cabinets
larry4406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
tcianci

Send a message via AIM to tcianci

By the way, did I tell you that I have a 2 stage 80 gallon 6 horse DeVilbiss

Just a little bragging!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
Tom2

I'll mostly just be sandblasting engine parts. Heads, intakes, etc..

I really want the 2 stage Husky.. 80gal 175psi 12.5cfm at 90psi. But the price more than doubles. It's $1000.

Harbor Freight has a US General 2 stage 165psi for $850. It occasionally goes on sale for $800, then with a 20% coupon.. Out the door for around $700.

I'm gonna stop in Home Depot today and see if they'll take a HF 20% off coupon for the 60gal Husky. Then, even with delivery - I can walk away without it costing me a dime.

On the website they have the $1000 Husky available for $750 refurbished. But, I guess you can only buy it online and shipping is like over $400. Pretty ridiculous.

Maybe I'll find someone knowledgeable in the store and maybe they can have it shipped to the store or something.. Usually when you start spending big chunks of money like that, you can kind of wheel and deal at Home Depot and Lowes. They really have to fight to keep customers. As long as you're talking to some type of manager.

Last edited by Tom2; 01-24-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:37 PM   #14
Tom2

Talked to the manager at HF.

Nice guy. Said he'd deliver the compressor himself after work for free. Also said he could probably do $800, and 20% off for the 2 stage compressor - If I buy the warranty.

They had a model in store that's not on the site. It's a 60/gal single stage for $399. But, it has 13.9CFM. Which is more than the 10.2CFM of the Husky.

Does 2.7 CFM make much of a difference?

Still would like to go HD, but if it's much better - will go with the US General.

Went to HD too, but there wasn't a manager on duty. So, they weren't sure if they'd take a HF coupon..but I bet they would unless you caught them in a bad mood.

If I don't have to pay $70 for delivery on the $400 US General..That looks pretty tempting. The bad thing is their not warrantied that well unless you buy the warranty - which is close to $100. Way too expensive IMO. The Husky's are warrantied for 4 years. I'm sure the it's a lot harder to make a claim, but it's atleast included.

Here are the choices on my radar:

60Gallon Husky single stage 10.2CFM
$415 out the door for the 60/gal Husky delivered. I could try to rent a truck to save maybe $30-$40.

60Gallon US General single stage 12.9CFM
$345 out the door for the US General. Assuming I don't get any warranty.

US General 2 stage 15.8 CFM
Close to $800 out the door with the 1 year warranty

Last edited by Tom2; 01-24-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
Bender78

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry4406 View Post
Bender78 we are still waiting for your update over here http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...blast+cabinets
Wow, I forgot about that thread. OK, OK, I'll get some photos soon!
Bender78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #16
ZRX61

Cabinets have an port, usually on the back someplace, which is where most of the dust escapes from. Putting a filter over that hole greatly reduces the dust in the garage etc.
I'm in the process of instaling some angle around the port on mine, on 3 sides, so I just just slide an old automotive airfilter in place.. oddly enough, exactly the same size as the one that fits my S10...

Start looking for 5gal buckets with lids....that way you can swap out the media for another type in just a couple of minutes. I use 2 grades of plastic, 3 types of glass (2 of bead & 1 of crushed auto windshields), walnut & Al oxide in mine.

Last edited by ZRX61; 01-24-2010 at 09:27 PM.
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #17
Tom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
Cabinets have an port, usually on the back someplace, which is where most of the dust escapes from. Putting a filter over that hole greatly reduces the dust in the garage etc.
I'm in the process of instaling some angle around the port on mine, on 3 sides, so I just just slide an old automotive airfilter in place.. oddly enough, exactly the same size as the one that fits my S10...

Start looking for 5gal buckets with lids....that way you can swap out the media for another type in just a couple of minutes. I use 2 grades of plastic, 3 types of glass (2 of bead & 1 of crushed auto windshields), walnut & Al oxide in mine.
What type of compressor do you use - and are you happy with it?

What is best media for cast iron and aluminum? (the 2 most common parts I clean)
Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #18
Tom2

I could also get the 80 gal 2 stage Husky 12.6CFM 175 PSI for basically $1000 delivered.

Using my $400 store credit, that'd be a $600 hit to my pocket.

Kinda surprised the CFM isn't higher though..But with a 80gal tank, 2 stage, and with 40 more psi, it would run significantly less.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #19
Tom2

Anyone use any of the 4 mentioned compressors for sandblasting?
Old 01-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #20
recklessnova

the us general compressors are made in the usa in sc I think it is, they have good baldor motors on them to. I did not know this when I bought my eaton 5 hp 20 cfm at 90 compressor but I dont worry about it much. I powder coat from home and I Blast a LOT wheels, intakes whatever needs done. That 20 cfm is plenty for what I do. I would like more to be able to run a bigger tip but it works for now. I think 12 to 15 should get you plenty of air. Like i said I blast a lot and with 20 I can blast for two hours straight stop and by the time I walk across my garage the compressor is back up to pressure.
I do rember a posting about the harbor freight compressors having referb ones online for CHEAP and you may want to also Look int othe puma brand harbor freight sells they have a good name.
Josh
I would prob go with the 60 gallon us general for 345 no warrenty and dont let em mess ya around on not being able to use the 20% on whatever they have.
link to us general info on here
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=43282

Last edited by recklessnova; 01-25-2010 at 02:18 PM.
recklessnova is offline   Reply With Quote