Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
383-S-10

Default My Rustoleum Professional EPOXYShield Garage Floor Project

Just finished putting down “Rustoleum Professional EPOXYShield Garage Floor Coating” on my new garage (House completed in April 2006).

Thought it would be nice to share my experience and results.

I searched around various forums and decided to go with the Rustoleum product. I feel that the solvent based products are superior because they contribute to global warming…… well it sounds good anyway….. I picked up two grey kits from Home Depot and had to order the Clear, patch kit, and grit online from Garage-Toys.com.

1 Epoxy Used.jpg

I first started the process by performing the moisture test, duct-tape a plastic bag to the floor and let it sit for ~24 hours. The next day I found that my concrete did not have a moisture problem, on to step 2!

I then vacuumed the garage and ledge to get up the big loose stuff. The next step was to degrease. I used one gallon of Behr degreaser from Home Depot. I first sprayed the garage with water and then poured the whole gallon of degreaser over the surface. I then used a push broom to work the degreaser into the concrete. After the brushing, I rinsed the floor until no more bubbles came up. I rinsed and scrubbed one more time for extra caution and then did the final rinse and used a squeegee to dry the floor. I then waited for the floor to completely dry before I started the Acid Etch process.

I purchased two gallons of Muriatic Acid from the local hardware store. I filled a watering can ¾ full with water. I then filled the remaining ¼ with muriatic acid. Before I dispersed the diluted acid, I first sprayed down the garage with water to get it moist. I then worked in 5’ by 5’ sections, watering the concrete with the acid solution. I waited for it to stop bubbling and then scrubbed and rinsed the garage out. I did this for each square until the garage was fully etched (used a little more than one gallon of acid total). I then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and scrubbed and scrubbed and rinsed and squegeed the floor clean….

2 Degrease vs Acid Etch.jpg

After the floor was prepped and dried for one week, I taped off the edges where I did not want to epoxy and marked the gouges that need to be repaired with bottle caps. I used the repair kit made by Rustoleum, it is great because the wait time for a coat of epoxy is only 8 hours! I had various spots to fill, which must have been from the builders dropping equipment on the floor…

4 Patch.jpg

The patch kit is great, easy to use and I had a lot left over… Just mix 2:1 on a piece of cardboard and then using a putty knife, work into the cracks or dents.

5 Patch 2.jpg

After some thought, I decided to also epoxy the step into the house. I used the patch kit to fill in the nail holes and dings in the step as well.

6 Step Prep.jpg

After all of the holes were filled, it was waiting time…

Fast forward to Saturday.
Today is the day to put the first coat down…
At this stage I wanted to find a way to keep the garage door off of the floor so that I could epoxy all the way to the pavement outside. I first started by trying to hit the button just before the door hit the floor so that I could figure out the perfect timing…. that didn’t work to well… I felt like a moron! I then remembered that the openers have a travel adjustment! I just backed off the adjustment and viola, the garage will not fully close. This will keep the garage secure, animals out, while not messing up the edge of the floor!

3 Garage Trick.jpg
Disclaimer: Picture taken after all epoxy coating complete….

The directions that come with the kit are very clear and informative. I started by first mixing the contents of each can (Part A & Part B). I used a separate drill attachment to mix each. After both cans were sufficiently mixed, I poured both parts into a 5-gallon bucket. I then mixed the two together with another, larger drill mixer. I mixed per the instructions, 2-3 minutes and then let it stand for 30 minutes.

My wife helped by putting the epoxy on the edges with a brush and small edge-roller. I let her get ahead of me so that I didn’t run her over with the epoxy. I poured some of the epoxy onto the floor and then used a squeegee to move the epoxy around. I then used an 18” Epoxy roller to smooth it all out (about 3’ by 6’ sections). I continued this until the floor was complete; I did not use the chips on this coat, but saved them for the second coat. I tried to put the first coat on heavy, as I have read that it goes further than advertised…. I still ended up with a ½ gallon of epoxy left! I let the floor dry for 18 hours before moving onto the second coat.

7 First Coat.jpg
383-S-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
383-S-10

Default Re: My Rustoleum Professional EPOXYShield Garage Floor Project

Sunday Morning:
The first coat looked pretty good with the exception of a thin spot in the middle of the garage that looked dull…

The second coat went on just like the first, except this time the flakes were tossed onto the wet epoxy. We used about 3.5 bags of chips on the floor… kind of got carried away, the wife was having fun… We put them in a small bowl and then tossed them into the air above the wet epoxy. I had to use new rollers and a new squeegee as the epoxy destroys them.

8 DSCF2082.jpg

After the second coat was applied, it was waiting time again… This time we waited until Tuesday afternoon, around 48 hours after the second coat, and 71 hours since the first coat was put down. The directions say to re-apply within 16 – 72 hours of the last coat, it worked out so that all coats were on within 16 – 72 (don’t think this makes a difference).

The clear is different from the color, the kit contains one-gallon total of material, Part A & Part B. The same mixing technique was used with both parts and then Part B was poured into Part A, then the two were mixed together for 2-3 minutes. After fully mixed, the supplied package of anti slip was added to the epoxy and mixed well (the extra anti slip I bought wasn’t needed). The clear does not need to sit and the directions advise not to allow it to sit. We decided not to put the clear on the vertical edges to speed up the process. I just poured the clear down in strips the length of the garage and then rolled the clear around to cover the floor. I did not use a squeegee because I was afraid of pulling up the chips… The clear went on really fast and I used all of the material, the kit says it covers 500 square feet….

9 2nd vs Clear.jpg
Disclaimer: Hard to tell by the picture but the clear really increased the gloss and covered the paint chips so they will not get dirty or come out of the epoxy…

Anyway, that’s it; I am now patiently waiting 10 days until I put a car onto the floor… I might also wait to put the cabinets in just incase… I don’t want to screw this up!

-Kevin

Edit and Closing Thoughts:
Well it has been a while since I put down the floor in this garage and as of August 2013 I have moved out of this house to a new project (reason I am back on the board for new ideas on the new house!). Anyway, thought it would be good to put in some closing thoughts on the floor so here goes.

Overall I am pleased with the choice and how the Epoxy Shield held out over the years. I used the garage for several projects (interior on my truck, oil changes, small engine rebuilds, brake jobs, etc) and the floor held up great overall. Only a few places where I got carried away and chipped a few spots while trying to press out some stubborn bearings with a BFH (Big Hammer). I used left over oak stair tread pieces under my jack stands to protect the floor which helped too. The epoxy held up "ok" on the wood step, the top coats peeled off after a while but the first coat held up fine so they were still the same color, just some of the flecks came off with the clear...

Notice the oak tread piece under the jack stand:
Working in Garage.jpg

Another thing that happened is the lip on the garage where it is open to the elements seemed to discolor due to the UV rays (clear basically wore off on the ~2" lip that is outside all the time.

In retrospect, I think I wouldn't have used the colored flecks as they made it nearly impossible to find dropped bolts, nuts, washers etc. It was like a "Where's Waldo" adventure : anytime I dropped something...

Overall I am very pleased with how the garage turned out, the floor was great and held up to the winter months with salt/sand etc. Made for quick cleanings with a squeegee and mop.

The cabinets were "ok" and I didn't mention this previously but I ended up getting them from Home Depot (were on sale and had several gift cards that made it the best choice at the time). I raised the cabinets off the floor with pressure treated 2X4 and built a top with two layers of particle board covered in 1/4" oak with some 1/2" oak trim and back-splash. The tile surround is there because I had a hard time getting off the tape once I finished putting on multiple coats of polyurethane (ended up looking nice anyway)...

My best investment besides the floors were the lights. I ended up putting in nine T8 strip lights (2 bulb each) which I found at Home Depot. I put 5 in the front section and 4 in the back section (separated by the beam in the middle) the fifth went over the work bench area and overall it was really bright . The T8's were instant on's and were fired right up which was really nice too.

I think that covers the entire garage project, was a great first house and really enjoyed the garage!

The final Farewell (sorry for the messy floor...)
Last Day in Garage.jpg

Now onto the next project oversized 3-Car garage....

-Kevin

Last edited by 383-S-10; 01-02-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
boiler7904

Thanks for the info. My garage slab was completed in late april / early may. I'm starting the process of doing my garage floor with the Professional Coating in Tile Red with a moisture test tonight. I'll be washing and etching this weekend, patching next friday, coating saturday and sunday, with clear on labor day.

Just out of curiosity, how big is your garage. I bought two color kits and a clear coat kit. I'm thinking that I can do mine 20' x 22'-6 the same way you did. One coat with flakes over one coat without flakes

Last edited by boiler7904; 08-25-2006 at 01:49 PM.
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Winmon

Looks great!
Winmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
ThrashN

Looks very nice. Great write up
Old 08-27-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler7904
Thanks for the info. My garage slab was completed in late april / early may. I'm starting the process of doing my garage floor with the Professional Coating in Tile Red with a moisture test tonight. I'll be washing and etching this weekend, patching next friday, coating saturday and sunday, with clear on labor day.

Just out of curiosity, how big is your garage. I bought two color kits and a clear coat kit. I'm thinking that I can do mine 20' x 22'-6 the same way you did. One coat with flakes over one coat without flakes

Make sure to post pictures of the red coating...I was tempted to do it.

I really wish they made a blue epoxy with silver flakes to match my car =(
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
snorvet

looks great!
snorvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:16 PM   #8
BQuicksilver

Nice, I like the heavy chip use.
BQuicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:23 AM   #9
boiler7904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson
Make sure to post pictures of the red coating...I was tempted to do it.

I really wish they made a blue epoxy with silver flakes to match my car =(
I was tempted to do the water based product (blue with gray, white, and black flakes is an option with the new tintable base version) until I saw my neighbor's floor that is two years old. Floor is coming up where his van sits and drips road salt in the winter. Didn't want light gray or tan for the floor so that left dark gray or med red. Chose med red since it will match the shutters and front door on the house. I haven't decided if I'm going to use the flakes or not. Should be interesting when it's done.

Duct taped a sheet of plastic to the slab on friday night and peeled up this morning - no water. Always a good thing.

Today (and tonight) was the first day of prep:

1. Empty the garage. Who knew you could accumulate enough crap in two weeks of owning a house that it would take two hours to empty the garage?

2. Dry swept entire floor and scraped dried drywall compound / construction adhesive, and other miscellaneous construction crap with putty knife.

3. Scrubbed entire floor with a 4:1 mix of water and Simple Green. Scraped more crap. Used squegee and shop vac to suck up water. Let dry during step 4.

4. Early dinner.

5. Scrubber entire floor with 4:1 mix of muriatic acid and water.

6. Rinse well and repeat step 5.

7. Rinsed entire floor and vacuumed all water.

The floor is drying until friday night when I'll patch a couple of nicks in the slab. I'll post pics next week once we get to the interesting stuff.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #10
383-S-10

Thanks for the comments! I will have final pictures up soon with the cabinets and all...

The garage is around 21X21 plus the ~6" vertical wall on the sides and back.

The heavy chips look pretty good, but I wish I had done two coats of clear, the chips really made the surface rough, and I also added the grit in the clear so it sure is slip resistant.

I am using the RSI Estate series white cabinets; I have most of them together now but have not finished due to missing some panels/wrong panels in the boxes... The good thing is that they are shipping the new parts out and should be here by midweek this week (at no charge)!

I am still trying to decide what to do for "feet" on the cabinets, I want to put them at the same height as the concrete ledge but need to make either a base or legs... I am thinking of making a base, as I want to make sure they will still hold weight.

On another note, any good Ideas on workbench tops??? I am thinking of doing particle board with laminate but not sure if there are better ideas out there... I want it to be easy to clean, and at the same time allow me to work on it without emptying my wallet!

Thanks again!
Kevin
Old 08-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #11
Mustangjim

Where did you buy the Professional version. My local HomeDepot has the water based version and the guy in the paint section said he couldn't get the proffesional. I looked at Lowes online and they sell the Proffesional version, but I can't get it at my three local stores.

Thanks, Jim
Mustangjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #12
boiler7904

Check at Menards if you're near one. They have it in four colors (light gray, dark gray, med red, and tan) at the stores I've been in (Joliet, IL, Schererville, IN, and Merrillville, IN). It sells for $89 per kit there. I got mine for $75 last week while it was on sale. They also have the clear.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:16 PM   #13
Winmon

Quote:
Where did you buy the Professional version. My local HomeDepot has the water based version and the guy in the paint section said he couldn't get the proffesional
I had to go to 2 Home Depots to get all that I needed (7 kits) and both stores I went to carried it.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #14
bhmax

Wow, great write up with the pics. The floor looks great. You mention the chips making the surface rough. Would this help the grit in making the floor non-slip? I'm also interested in how well it will hold up in the long run.
bhmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:20 PM   #15
Winmon

Quote:
Would this help the grit in making the floor non-slip
I also used the flecks but without a clear coat. The flecks do act as an anti-slip. I have mopped it several times now and the floor has VERY little slip to it....
Old 09-02-2006, 08:40 AM   #16
jloveridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winmon
I also used the flecks but without a clear coat. The flecks do act as an anti-slip. I have mopped it several times now and the floor has VERY little slip to it....
Ditto.
I did it the same way and as much as I wanted to do the clear coat because I like the shine, I resisted because I was more concerned about slipping on water from the perpetually melting snow off vehicles the garage gets in the winter.
jloveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:11 PM   #17
car-nut

I am looking into using the profesional kit on my new garage floor.

My question is, do I still need to use the acid etch?
The floor was just poured two weeks ago. I am going to wait a little while before I do it. And before I drive a car on it.
car-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #18
Winmon

Quote:
do I still need to use the acid etch?
Yes, according to Rustoleum's instructions. You will need to wait at least a month to let the concrete cure before putting down the epoxy. Also, I would not park a car on it until after you are done with the epoxy work. You do want to get any grease or oil on the floor before you put on the epoxy.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #19
boiler7904

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-nut
My question is, do I still need to use the acid etch?
The floor was just poured two weeks ago. I am going to wait a little while before I do it. And before I drive a car on it.
Most definitely acid etch the floor. If you have a sealer, yo may need to sand the floor.

The epoxy contractors I deal with on a regular basis like to see a new slab sit at least 2 months before they even think about doing a floor.

From personal experience: My slab was poured in April. No vehicle traffic on it until early August for about 5 minutes while I checked clearnaces around two vehicles for shelving. Floor went down this weekend. No traffic at all on it this week. Workbench and shelves going in next weekend. No vehicle traffic for a few more weeks.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:42 AM   #20
red vette mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383-S-10
Thanks for the comments! I will have final pictures up soon with the cabinets and all...

The garage is around 21X21 plus the ~6" vertical wall on the sides and back.

The heavy chips look pretty good, but I wish I had done two coats of clear, the chips really made the surface rough, and I also added the grit in the clear so it sure is slip resistant.

I am using the RSI Estate series white cabinets; I have most of them together now but have not finished due to missing some panels/wrong panels in the boxes... The good thing is that they are shipping the new parts out and should be here by midweek this week (at no charge)!

I am still trying to decide what to do for "feet" on the cabinets, I want to put them at the same height as the concrete ledge but need to make either a base or legs... I am thinking of making a base, as I want to make sure they will still hold weight.

On another note, any good Ideas on workbench tops??? I am thinking of doing particle board with laminate but not sure if there are better ideas out there... I want it to be easy to clean, and at the same time allow me to work on it without emptying my wallet!

Thanks again!
Kevin
Kevin: Thanks for the write up. I am finishing my garage addition which is 31x54. I have ordered the Rustoleum Professional product like you used. I ordered 5 kits. Is that enough for 2 coats on 1600+ feet? I think they advertise 300-400 feet per kit but perhaps that is for 1 coat only? I am going to start preparing the floor this week. You did not use any type of ginder or sander to rough up the surface? Do they recommend that? Thanks for your information.
Mike
red vette mike is offline   Reply With Quote