Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Wall Mounted Shop Vac

So I'm in the market for a wall mounted shop vac. I want something of decent quality, but prefer not to spend a bundle. Anyone out there have any suggestions for a fella su...
To read the rest of this blog entry from The Garage Journal, click here.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
scottybaccus

Default Re: Wall Mounted Shop Vac

A former employer had a whole house vac installed in a home he built a few years ago. I got a good look at it before the home was finished, but don't recall the maker. It was pretty neat, but I think it fell short of his expectations. What I took away from it, Don't underestimate the power needed to do a good job. We've all had those moments where the junk we try to vac is just a tad heavy and doesn't manage to climb the hills in the hose, so we go pick it up high and shake it, etc. Now imagin the same scenario in a very long hose or fixed piping. It can be a bummer to clean out the clogs that result. If I were buying, this is one item I would shop commercial, Like car wash type, and pick power over space efficiency.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
glenmore

We put one of these things in when we built our house.

http://builtinvacuum.com/products.html

We went with the blue MD Standard model and it has been problem free for about 19 years now. There is plenty of power for general operation but I think it doesn't do the greatest job on carpeting because of the air-driven brush. IMHO a regular push vacumn with a belt drive does a better job of beating the dirt out of the carpet. MD has a LOT of experience so I think their products are time tested. They may be quieter now but ours gives you quite a start when it kicks in. The unit is in the garage and the outlets are all in the house. I would check the noise ratings on these things and try and find a relatively quiet one.
glenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Weber1

I bought the craftsman 5.0 hp for myself for Christmas and I love it. It comes with a 7ft hose and then a 14 ft accessory hose. It converts to a blower and lifts off easy if I want to take into the house. It comes with several attachments. The other good thing about the hose is that it comes out the front, not the side so you dont have to worry about an extra 6" of width so that the hose can come out and take a 90degree turn.
Weber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Weber1

I think i got mine on sale before the holidays for about $90
Weber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
holland_patrick

Lay I had a home dopt one what worked great for me.. but it did come out the side but it was wall mounted and had great reach the only problem was it was an odd hose size so nothing except what came with it fit even though i tryed to get an adapter for it
holland_patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
DGUS

I bought this wall mounted Rigid vac @ Home Depot a couple years ago. I really like it. The mounting bracket stays attached to the wall but the vac and attachments can be remoed very easily so it can be moved around when needed. The attachments are stored in a detachable bin on the side of the vac so they are easy to access and kept organized. I don't think the vac is very loud when running compared to some of the other vacs I've owned. Yet it has plenty of power, even with the extension wands and longer hose attached. I do suggest adding the longer more flexible hose sold seperately at H.D. It gives you a lot more reach and rolls up easier. The hose stores around the wall bracket so it's not in the way. The only problem may be finding this model. I haven't noticed it in the stores lately. Shopping around on the web is always a good idea. Try finding one using this locator site:

www.ridgid.com/Tools/Where-To-Buy

Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WD5500.jpg (11.1 KB, 146 views)
DGUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Scotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weber1 View Post
I bought the craftsman 5.0 hp for myself for Christmas and I love it. It comes with a 7ft hose and then a 14 ft accessory hose. It converts to a blower and lifts off easy if I want to take into the house. It comes with several attachments. The other good thing about the hose is that it comes out the front, not the side so you dont have to worry about an extra 6" of width so that the hose can come out and take a 90degree turn.
I have that vacuum and I'm left disappointed with it. The features are really nice, but it just doesn't have the suction of a regular old 5 HP shopvac - it's at least half. For any tough jobs I need to get out my regular Ridgid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGUS View Post
I bought this wall mounted Rigid vac @ Home Depot a couple years ago. I really like it. The mounting bracket stays attached to the wall but the vac and attachments can be remoed very easily so it can be moved around when needed. The attachments are stored in a detachable bin on the side of the vac so they are easy to access and kept organized. I don't think the vac is very loud when running compared to some of the other vacs I've owned. Yet it has plenty of power, even with the extension wands and longer hose attached. I do suggest adding the longer more flexible hose sold seperately at H.D. It gives you a lot more reach and rolls up easier. The hose stores around the wall bracket so it's not in the way. The only problem may be finding this model. I haven't noticed it in the stores lately. Shopping around on the web is always a good idea. Try finding one using this locator site:

www.ridgid.com/Tools/Where-To-Buy

Hope this helps!
Unfortunately that vacuum has been discontinued. I looked EVERYWHERE for one of those vacuums a year ago.

If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten this vacuum:
http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-L2310-5...4688182&sr=8-3
Scotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
jmack

There is already a year-long thread discussion on this topic.

Existing thread.

Be sure to search before posting.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
TONE

Ryan.........

I have the exact one you have pictured. Ive had it close to 4 years now.

Its bullet proof!

I use it for woodworking, car detailing and general garage cleanup.

I love it, sucks up way more than my normal, pull around and trip over it craftsman shopvac.
TONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
TONE

I think Ryan knows how the site works............

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
There is already a year-long thread discussion on this topic.

Existing thread.

Be sure to search before posting.
TONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
n1gzd

I am looking for a low profile (not wide) wall hang unit that can be picked up and carried around (for vacuuming sand from the floor, or vacuuming the car. However, I also want to use it with my sand blaster. I used to use my Sears shop vac with my sand blaster but i got rid of it because it was unwieldy. I did see anyone mention whether any of these shop vacs that people have been discussing can be used that way. I like what I read about the Hoover.

Rebecca
n1gzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
jmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONE View Post
I think Ryan knows how the site works............
One would think, yet here we get a repost of a question that has already been asked and already received over 100 responses.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
Zrexxer

I've got the Hoover GUV pictured, I bought it on Amazon for a LOT less than other places wanted for it. I like it, it does everything I want it to do, which namely is to reach out into the driveway to vacuum out the pickup floorboards and seats.

The only thing that's a little difficult on it is emptying the canister. Well, not emptying it so much but juggling it back into position while trying to snap the latches shut. Not a dealbreaker for sure, I usually just lift the unit off the bracket and turn it upside down to reinstall the canister.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
Tman

I have a vintage one from the 40s or 50s that looks like that only smaller diameter. Mine is easy to carry out to the car and has amazing power. If I was able to do pics right now I would post one............really need to get some hardware fixed/replaced since we have no computer at home right now.

www.compulsionrodandcustom.com
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #16
1320stang

Quote:
One would think, yet here we get a repost of a question that has already been asked and already received over 100 responses.
Ryan owns the site......

1963 Fairlane 2 door post
1965 Mustang Coupe
1973 F-100 longbed
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Explorer SportTrac
2005 Honda Accord
2008 Mercury Mountaineer
2015 F-150 Screw 5.0 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
PS: I'm a girl..
1320stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #17
djjsr

I have the Hoover GUV. It works fine but it's noisey. Had to have the motor replaced under warranty.
djjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #18
Todd.Brock

I bought my Hoover GUV on CL for about 45 bucks. It was new in box. Not sure/didnt ask why the guy was selling it so cheap . Hopefully, there isnt a lien on it

I really like the vacuum. it gets into little crevices well, a little quieter than my shopvac and 100x easier to deal with just the hose. I would buy it at regular price and still be happy with it.
Todd.Brock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #19
Axis11

Quote:
You do know that Ryan owns this site, along with the rest of the Atomic Industry Network right? Although there is another post like this, he linked this discussion to the front page as a featured post for product reviews.

Back on topic: I wanted to set up a home central vac for the garage, but the price is pretty steep on the units. I did get the Vacmaster from Costco and I really like it. Some reviews claim the remote on/off switch doesn't work after you drop it on the floor and run it over with your car, but I just consider them to be whiners.
With 21 feet of hose (10' flex, 11' standard) hose it has a good reach.

And it's on sale right now. But if you'd done a search, you would have known that...
Axis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
PurdueSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONE View Post
Ryan.........

I have the exact one you have pictured. Ive had it close to 4 years now.

Its bullet proof!

I use it for woodworking, car detailing and general garage cleanup.

I love it, sucks up way more than my normal, pull around and trip over it craftsman shopvac.
Interesting... I too wouldn't mind owning something similar. Some of the reviews on amazon for the hoover GUV say it is much weaker than a typical roll around shop vac... They also mention how the hose is really cheap plastic.

Isn't that how it always is...some people love it and some hate it...

Help me brainstorm the new shop!
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=338743
PurdueSD is offline   Reply With Quote