Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
burger

Default How much did it cost to build your two-car garage?

Hey!

How much did it cost to build your two-car garage, and what did you get for that money? I just sold one of my cars and I'll be using the money to errect a new garage. Just fishing around for ideas on cost....

Thanks,
Ed
burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
AdamMopar

Default Re: How much did it cost to build your two-car garage?

Mine is 24 feet by 24 feet, 10 foot walls, one 16 foot by 8 foot overhead door, one 36" walk in door and one 30" by 36" window. It's not finished yet as I'm back in school again but all said and done it was $2500 for the concrete, a little under $5000 for materials, and probably $500 in miscellaneous supplies.

Adam
AdamMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
red vette mike

I got a little carried away with my garage addtion (at least my wife thinks so). Mine is 1770sqft with 12' ceiling height. I am over $35 per foot. However it is nice- brick, pre-built roof truss system, a/c, big carriage style doors, 25 good Lithonia lights, heavy insulation, 6" concrete (for lift) floored attic, more. I have worked on it all summer and had a great time. I have only epoxing the floor left to do. Good luck on your build.
Mike
red vette mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:45 AM   #4
cw_racefan

Really depends on the area, since codes will dictate whether you need footers, slab on grade, etc. I'm in MD so I would assume you would be similar in that footers will be required, etc. I have not finished the inside yet, and have not run electric to it yet. I did all the work myself except the foundation and slab. Garage is 32x36 (obviously alot bigger than 2 cars). Slab/foundation work was $7500. Stick built garage materials were around $10k including a 16' wide door and a 9' wide door, one 36" walk in door, 2 windows, siding, shingles, etc. This also included attic trusses so that I could have some light storage above. Nothing fancy, just basic rectangle. Electrical will be close to $2k, considering I just bought the feeder wire to go from the house to the garage and it was $700! Haven't priced out insulation or wall finishing inside, still debating on what I want to use.

Good luck!
cw_racefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

I'm just over $23 a square foot. That's for just over 1500 s.f. in two stories; steel beams and columns to support the second floor (and a future bridge crane); radiant heat in the first floor slab/baseboard hot water upstairs; half dozen large Marvin windows upstairs; cement fiber and vertical steel siding; 5/8" fire-rated drywall throughout; 200amp service, lots of 110V and 220V receptacles, eleven 8' HO fluorescent fixtures and three "nightlight" fixtures downstairs, three 4' surface mount fluorescent fixtures, two ceiling fans, and four recessed can lights upstairs; two 9'x9' Wayne Dalton garage doors and two 36" insulated man doors; insulation throughout; plus doing 90% of the work myself. A neighbor hired a contractor to do a shop half the size, paid twice as much, and I can see an awful lot of corners that were cut. One example - they've had two electrical fires due to the cheap receptacles that were used shorting out...

PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #6
boiler7904

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota
One example - they've had two electrical fires due to the cheap receptacles that were used shorting out...
That's just rediculous. You would think one fire would be enough to get them to start looking at all of the other receptacles. Sounds like a big fire and a lawsuit waiting to happen.
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #7
PAToyota

After the first time, they called the contractor back and he came out and replaced that receptacle - saying it was probably faulty. After the second one they called in an electrician who went through the whole place. What he found was that the contractor had just stuck the wires in straight under the screws instead of "looping" the wire around the screw terminal, not to mention that they were the cheapest receptacles available...
Old 09-08-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
burger

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like this might cost a little more than expected.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 09-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
sjsfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota
After the first time, they called the contractor back and he came out and replaced that receptacle - saying it was probably faulty. After the second one they called in an electrician who went through the whole place. What he found was that the contractor had just stuck the wires in straight under the screws instead of "looping" the wire around the screw terminal, not to mention that they were the cheapest receptacles available...
What is almost as bad is when they strip the wire and just stick the wire in the holes on the back of the recepticals. I found the builder did that in my old house, of course it was 15 years old when we bought it as a starter home. I went around and changed them all out and looped the wire around the terminal screw correctly. Any loose electrical conection = heat, bad news......
sjsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #10
PAToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsfire
What is almost as bad is when they strip the wire and just stick the wire in the holes on the back of the recepticals.
Agreed! When I purchased my house I went through all the electrical and made things right. Did all the wiring on the shop myself as well. When the inspector went over it he gave me the best complement of anyone - said "This is the way a job should be done."
Old 09-08-2006, 10:57 PM   #11
alankulwicki7
Ford Rules!

I think my garage cost about $13K. Here are some of the specs for my garage:
1. 24'x28' slab on grade with 1 course of block
2. 2"x6"x8' walls that give me about a 9' ceiling
3. 7/12 pitch storage trusses so I have a room about 6' high that runs the length of the garage
4. R11 insulation in walls and R38 in ceiling
5. Surround sound reciever with 27" TV hooked up to cable
6. Electric heat using heaters from Comfort Cove mounted near the ceiling

I did most of the work myself with the help of friends and I figure it save me about $5K. I also got some really nice features that I would not have gotten if I had someone else build it for me.

Using 2x6 walls only cost about $200 more for the lumber and extra insulation over 2x4 walls but it is a huge energy saver here in Minnesota. I'm sure it will pay for itself after only a few years......

1969 Ford Fairlane Cobra 428CJ
1993 Crestliner 1750 Sportfish 90hp Johnson
2003 Honda XR650L Dual Sport
alankulwicki7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:25 AM   #12
The Money Pit

I'm still building. I'll let you know when I'm finished. I'm in the tens of thousands right now. Room above with full bath and HVAC up and downstairs. I'm still looking for a sheetrock guy and that's holding me up. I bought a motorcycle to keep me occupied in the meantime.
The Money Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #13
burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by alankulwicki7
[...] 7/12 pitch storage trusses so I have a room about 6' high that runs the length of the garage [...]
"Storage trusses"?? Not sure I follow you. How are they different than the usual "W"?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 09-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #14
JMURiz

I'm still building mine too, price is high in Northern VA, I'm at about $40k right now, and that's without siding (big money items were the driveway, large tree removal etc). Believe it or not that was about 1/2 the price of a design build firm doing the whole thing!
Various cars and motorcycles to be stored inside.
JMURiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #15
boiler7904

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger
"Storage trusses"?? Not sure I follow you. How are they different than the usual "W"?

Thanks,
Ed
Storage or attic truss have a rectangular space down the center that is open and usable. Take a look at the drawing below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truss.jpg (26.7 KB, 99 views)
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #16
twostory

I am building a 26x44 ft two story garage. I had to build a 41 inch high stem wall and backfill the area, so my foundation cost were expensive ($20k) the rest of the building I am doing all the labor, so the material cost will be another $20K. So I will probably spend over $40k to get the garage shell up and usable. This will be roughly 2,200 square feet. The stair case takes away floor from the upstairs.

Note: this is a stick build wall, with roof trusses and no support poles in interrupting the first floor. The 26 ft long wooden I beams, for the second floor, cost me more than the roof trusses.

My roof trusses will be "attic room" trusses, so I will have a 10x30 ft room up in the attic area. Plan on storage for now, but could be a future room. It only cost another $250 to get a full 40 psf rating in the area. So I can store a few tons of junk in the attic, just not all in one spot.
twostory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #17
burger

Boiler & twostory- thanks for the truss/second floor info.

Let's say that I want to use the second floor for storage and a blast cabinet. I like to collect engine blocks, clyinder heads, and transmissions. Not sure why, but I have a whole lot "just in case."

What do I need to do (attic floor joists & roof/trusses) to make sure the attic is strong enough. I'd like to maximize second floor area as much as possible. I really don't mind if I have to spread the engine blocks out or stick them in the corners.

Oh, I'd like to hang a chain hoist from the roof rafters to haul these up through a window cut into the floor. (or maybe someone else has a better idea?)

Thanks,
Ed
Old 09-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #18
twostory

Default Re: Attic Truss question

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger
Boiler & twostory- thanks for the truss/second floor info.

Let's say that I want to use the second floor for storage and a blast cabinet. I like to collect engine blocks, clyinder heads, and transmissions. Not sure why, but I have a whole lot "just in case."

What do I need to do (attic floor joists & roof/trusses) to make sure the attic is strong enough. I'd like to maximize second floor area as much as possible. I really don't mind if I have to spread the engine blocks out or stick them in the corners.

Oh, I'd like to hang a chain hoist from the roof rafters to haul these up through a window cut into the floor. (or maybe someone else has a better idea?)

Thanks,
Ed
You can have trusses built however you need, mine are 40 pounds per square foot, so I can put heavy stuff up there, but must spread the weight out. For instance, an engine block weighs 200 pound, I need to spread this out over a five foot square. Just place some 2x4 (on edge) under it and spread the load over a few trusses and everything is fine. Now there is also a "deflection factor", so if you load the floor evenly with 40 lb/sqft, it will deflect "x" inches in the middle. Not a problem, but it may crack you dry wall ceiling if you goto the limit.

As for a chain hoist, that is a point load, so you will need to really spread the load out over a big area. If you placed a few 2x8 x 12ft in the attic, so the 2x8 goes to several trusses, you could pick up some heavy weight, but you will need to be very careful not to exceed the truss's weight limit. So picking up a 800 lb engine/transmission is possible, but an engine hoist is a cheaper, easier, safer solution.
twostory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #19
PAToyota

Although trusses can be designed to carry just about any load, if you are talking serious weight (fully dressed engine blocks, lathes, milling machines, hoists loads, etc.) I'd really look into steel beams and columns.

With my shop I designed for a full second floor with a woodshop, so I wasn't going with trusses anyway. But I had three requirements for the floor system that took me to a steel column and beam system: no columns in the middle of the space downstairs, no bounce to the upstairs floor even with a ton of woodworking equipment (said figuratively, but will probably be literal by the time I'm done), and that I eventually wanted to put in a bridge crane of some sort. So I have three W14x26 beams spanning front to back with 4" dia. columns tucked in against the wall at each end of each beam. The upstairs floor is solid, the whole downstairs is open wall to wall front to back and side to side, and I'm working on putting in a 4-ton bridge crane setup.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #20
tech

24x25 in nh. stick built, 11' walls 2 doors. i'm into it for 11K with free labor.
tech is offline   Reply With Quote