Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
Big Bad Dad

Default Need advise on Daytona Mig.com and Italian mig welders

Anybody on here familiar with Daytona Mig.com? I have an old NAPA 110volt mig welder which is also the same as the old Marquette brand. From my internet research, I have only been able to find Daytona Mig as a source for replacement parts. Unfortunantly, I placed an order on 12/23/09, and have not yet recieved and parts. I called on 1/5/10 and was told some of the parts were on backorder but should be in and ready to ship on or around 1/15. Nothing yet, and they do not return e mails or even answer their phone any more. All I get is a recording and it wont let me leave a message. Anybody around Daytona Fla. know what is going on with them? I need to either get parts or cancel the order and cant seem to do either!
Thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
back2class

Default Re: Need advise on Daytona Mig.com and Italian mig welders

Good luck. Crappy welder and crap service. I would just throw it away. I had a Italian made mig just like it. GARBAGE
back2class is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
Paullew

Junk..........
Paullew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Rigmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2class View Post
Good luck. Crappy welder and crap service. I would just throw it away. I had a Italian made mig just like it. GARBAGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullew View Post
Junk..........
Why did you guys even bother to reply?

The OP is asking for help/advice on how to get parts for his welder, and all you can do is say that it's a crappy welder, how helpful!!!!

Sorry OP, I can't help with another source for parts- but I have an older small Italian Mig welder and while it's not as good as a Miller or other higher end welder, it works well for what it is.
Rigmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
crewchief888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Dad View Post
Anybody on here familiar with Daytona Mig.com? I have an old NAPA 110volt mig welder which is also the same as the old Marquette brand. From my internet research, I have only been able to find Daytona Mig as a source for replacement parts. Unfortunantly, I placed an order on 12/23/09, and have not yet recieved and parts. I called on 1/5/10 and was told some of the parts were on backorder but should be in and ready to ship on or around 1/15. Nothing yet, and they do not return e mails or even answer their phone any more. All I get is a recording and it wont let me leave a message. Anybody around Daytona Fla. know what is going on with them? I need to either get parts or cancel the order and cant seem to do either!
Thanks
i had a daytonamig 140 that i bought used ($200)for 15 years, . i ran into the same problem trying to get parts, everything always seemed to be on backorder when i checked.
from what i can remember that welder was made by CEBORA, that may help in tracking down parts.
i finally pitched mine out the door (literally), and found a lincoln promig 140 on clearance at lowes.
sorry but it may be time to buy a new mig, in your favorite color

what better way to get something new, than to tell the wife, "i cant get parts for this old one anymore"

crewchief888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
back2class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigmaster View Post
Why did you guys even bother to reply?

The OP is asking for help/advice on how to get parts for his welder, and all you can do is say that it's a crappy welder, how helpful!!!!

Sorry OP, I can't help with another source for parts- but I have an older small Italian Mig welder and while it's not as good as a Miller or other higher end welder, it works well for what it is.

I gave him good advice. Parts are impossible to get and it's not worth fixing. I know as I have experience with this unit and NOT getting parts from Daytona. Sorry if you didn't approve of my advice.
back2class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
crewchief888

Quote:
Thanks
something else you might consider, if you payed with a CC, call them and stop payment, if you've been charged already, tell them that you havent recieved your parts. same goes for a check, call your bank and stop payment. my bank has been really good about working to recover $$ lost due to fraud.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
shovel

The welding repair shop in my neck of the woods has always told me to stay away from Chinese and Italian made welders, because there are no parts available. I'm having trouble now trying to find a wire feed motor for my old Airco Dipstick welder. Good luck!
shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
Big Bad Dad

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I have learned all I need to know about them.
I cancelled the order for the parts today. I searched the web and found many others had a similar experience when trying to deal with Daytona mig.
Here is a draft of the e mail I sent them:
This order is CANCELLED as of today, Feb. 2,2010. Do not send any
parts or bill my credit card. I called Jan. 5th and was told the parts
were on backorder and should go out in 10 days. Have not received
them. I have e mailed your company and gotten no response. I have
called several times since then and can not get anyone to answer the
telephone. I have not been able to leave a message as your automated
robot says there is no room for messages. If you are still in
business, your customer service stinks. If you are out of business,
you should have the courtesy to notify customers waiting on your
product. I have researched the internet and found multiple complaints
about your company nearly identical to mine.
Lee Sumpter
Old 02-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
crewchief888

Quote:
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I have learned all I need to know about them.
I cancelled the order for the parts today. I searched the web and found many others had a similar experience when trying to deal with Daytona mig.
Here is a draft of the e mail I sent them:
This order is CANCELLED as of today, Feb. 2,2010. Do not send any
parts or bill my credit card. I called Jan. 5th and was told the parts
were on backorder and should go out in 10 days. Have not received
them. I have e mailed your company and gotten no response. I have
called several times since then and can not get anyone to answer the
telephone. I have not been able to leave a message as your automated
robot says there is no room for messages. If you are still in
business, your customer service stinks. If you are out of business,
you should have the courtesy to notify customers waiting on your
product. I have researched the internet and found multiple complaints
about your company nearly identical to mine.
Lee Sumpter
it's a shame that parts aitn available for these welders, never had problems with mine, till i needed a liner and drive rollers. everything has a life expectancy i guess, at at least with a major brand welder you can get parts when needed.
i shopped around for several weeks before i bought my lincoln, found one at lowes marked down on clearance. bought that one and a month later was having problems with the selector switch. after contacting lincoln they told me to return it to lowes, and if i had any problems to give them a call.
walked into lowes and 15 minutes later i was walking out with a new welder, this one priced at their regular price, still cheaper than any weld shop i checked at.
i saw a thread on GJa while back about a buy that picked up 2 "display models" missing parts, for something like $200. couple hundres in parts got them both up and running
Old 07-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
Cardinal Grammeter

I don't understand all the criticism of the Italian MIGs.

I just bought a used Astro Power MIG 110 made in Italy and when I opened the case to see how "crappy" it was, I was truly amazed.

I have a big copper wound transformer (no poorly designed inverter that blows up when there is a little lightning strike in the neighborhood.)

Nice set of silicon rectifiers that while about the side of an automotive alternator, you could easily upgrade them with big time stud diodes from electronic surplus for a few dollars. Then you would have a rectifier that is 10x over sized. That comes under Bullet Proof.

Nice branded contactor.

Very small circuit board for the wire controller. So simple if board fails, it is repairable with simply electronic discrete components.

Which leaves the wire feed motor assembly. While I cannot judge the robustness of this design, the welder I am buying is probably 20 years old and the torch has been through H377. So I bet it is not that bad.

I talked with ASTRO tools and found out the welder comes already with a teflon sheath which you need to push aluminum. Typically, you have to buy a teflon sheath extra with most other MIG welders. Here they start you out with one.

So I just don't see it.

I was a Webber Welding in The Strip Districtict in Pittsbrugh, back in the shop and their main guy there, Ed, was working on some inverter welder or plasma. He had it opened up and it look like a 700 watt audio amplifier rather than a welder. He said he didn't want to call the customer because his nice $2000 welder was not worth repairing. Something blew in the complex inverter circuitry and took out a bunch of other components completely ruining the welder.

Just try and take out a copper wound transformer - give me Old School any day of the week. Besides, no home application should use an Inverter welder. They are specifically made for portability at the expense of cost and durability. At home, cost and durability are the desired qualities. So an Inverter is a really bad choice. Unless, of course, you have lots of money and like really cool stuff (I cannot argue with that either!)

Regards,
Tom
Cardinal Grammeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
Professur

Just out of curiosity, what parts do you need?
Professur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
speedtown

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. If you need parts for your "Vintage" CEBORA/Daytona Mig welders and plasma cutters try www.cebotechusa.com . Cebotech Inc is the official US importer for Cebora welders and plasma cutters. Even if some of these welders are fairly old, Cebora and Cebotech still carry many parts for these machines.

Regarding the commets about crappy welders from China and Italy; if you were not to by welders from these two countries you would have to stay away from Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, thermadyne, and Cebora. There is good and bad equipment made everywhere. Just because you had a bad experience with a machine made in Itlay or Germany or the US, it does not mean that all product made in these countries are bad. If you had bad service from a supplier, it does not mean that the product is bad. Cebora for those that don't know, has been in the US market for almost 30 years and still supplies about half of the welders sold to the automotive industry in the US. This may not be noticeable because most of it is sold under private lable to some very well known American companies.
speedtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
Major Ramifications

Speedtown,
Do you know who makes Campbell Hausfeld's welders?
Major Ramifications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
Amitygravel

I have a Clarke mig. Got it a couple of years ago and for the amount of welding I do it has been fine. Just learned a few months ago that Clarke went bankrupt. I believe they are Italian made as well can anyone verify that?
Amitygravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
speedtown

Major Ramifications,
I am not sure who makes the welders for Campbell Hausfeld. It could be a company called Telwin in Italy. Telwin is considered the "Black & Decker" of welder manufacturers. Another possible manufacturer would be Helvi (Also Italian). If you need consumable parts for your welder and CH does not have them, try Cebotechusa.com . Many of the consumables are standard among European manufacturers.

Amitygravel,
Yes the Clarke welders were all made/assembled (many Chinese components in some models) in Italy by Helvi same company as mentioned above. Helvi made a lot of welders for several companies including Thermadyne.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #17
Amitygravel

Thanks speedtown. No problems with the unit but its good to know who to turn to.
Amitygravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #18
Skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Grammeter View Post
I don't understand all the criticism of the Italian MIGs.

I just bought a used Astro Power MIG 110 made in Italy and when I opened the case to see how "crappy" it was, I was truly amazed.

I have a big copper wound transformer (no poorly designed inverter that blows up when there is a little lightning strike in the neighborhood.)

Nice set of silicon rectifiers that while about the side of an automotive alternator, you could easily upgrade them with big time stud diodes from electronic surplus for a few dollars. Then you would have a rectifier that is 10x over sized. That comes under Bullet Proof.

Nice branded contactor.

Very small circuit board for the wire controller. So simple if board fails, it is repairable with simply electronic discrete components.

Which leaves the wire feed motor assembly. While I cannot judge the robustness of this design, the welder I am buying is probably 20 years old and the torch has been through H377. So I bet it is not that bad.

I talked with ASTRO tools and found out the welder comes already with a teflon sheath which you need to push aluminum. Typically, you have to buy a teflon sheath extra with most other MIG welders. Here they start you out with one.

So I just don't see it.

I was a Webber Welding in The Strip Districtict in Pittsbrugh, back in the shop and their main guy there, Ed, was working on some inverter welder or plasma. He had it opened up and it look like a 700 watt audio amplifier rather than a welder. He said he didn't want to call the customer because his nice $2000 welder was not worth repairing. Something blew in the complex inverter circuitry and took out a bunch of other components completely ruining the welder.

Just try and take out a copper wound transformer - give me Old School any day of the week. Besides, no home application should use an Inverter welder. They are specifically made for portability at the expense of cost and durability. At home, cost and durability are the desired qualities. So an Inverter is a really bad choice. Unless, of course, you have lots of money and like really cool stuff (I cannot argue with that either!)

Regards,
Tom
The main problem with your philosophy is that transformer welders are horribly inefficient when compared to an inverter unit; almost to the extent of 2:1. Good inverter units built by the major brands are quite reliable, and perfecty well suited for a home shop.

At my home, the only source of 220v I have right now is a 30 amp dryer outlet. With my Miller 250 amp inverter based welder, I can run about 2/3's of its power, (it takes 45amps to put out 250). If you had a transformer unit, the same 250amp welder would need about 90 amps to run full power, and would need to be hard wired to the wall. With the power I have available the difference is being able to weld plate about twice as thick. I think I would max out at about 1/8" to 3/16" (single pass) with a transformer welder, maybe a bit less. An inverter based 110v unit would be no less powerful than the 220v transformer machine with the power I have available. Neither a 110v welder or a 220v transformer welder could handle the projects I am working on; my 220v inverter based machine does fine.

There's no denying that inverter welders can be hugely expensive when they go wrong, but face it...they are here to stay, and are far superior in operation to transformer units. Good ones don't go bad too often.
Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:52 AM   #19
Lhorn

Wow, I can't believe my luck at finding this thread. Just yesterday, I ran across town to get a welder that was dirt cheap on CL. It's a Mac Tools ws1110. Same Italian, Cebora made welder that was rebranded as "Snap On 130 Turbo," "Astro Powermig 130," Marquette and others, made between 1987-1992.
I need to get some parts to fix the wire drive system and the mig gun. The assembly that holds the wire drive motor and tensions it is cracked/broken and the end of the mig gun has been doctored to make it work when it broke. In the end it was made to barely function by the previous owner by tieing everything together with a ziptie and pieces of wire.

Thanks for the advice about contacting Cebora, Speedtown. I sent them an email and we'll see if they have parts. If I can't find what I need from them, I might try to repair the parts I have or adapt HF replacement parts.

I know these things are crap compared to the major American made units. I've got a MM 175, but I'd like to use this one when I am away from my 220 power and maybe set it up to use flux core. It's pretty much just a challenge to see if I can get it working again.

Thanks.
Lhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #20
speedtown

Lhorn,
You don't need to contact Cebora in Italy, just contact Cebotech Inc at sales@cebotechusa.com. Cebotech is the US importer for Cebora. What they don't have in stock they can order from Cebora if it is still available. You need to keep in mind that some of these welders are now about 25 years old and the models discussed in this thread have not been in production for about 15 years. With regards to these welders being crap as compared to US made welders such as Miller and Lincoln, consider this:
Cebora was the first welder manufacturer to introduce a welder line specificaly designed for automotive use (1972/3). Cebora is the inventor of the portable Mig (1981), Tig and Plasma cutter. Around 1987 Lincoln introduced their copy (SP100) of the Cebora portable mig welder. Lincoln quickly stopped selling it and had to regroupe because of problems with their welder. Lincoln fianlly resolved their issues with portable welders by going to Europe (Poland) to purchase welders there, and Italy for their inverters. Miller also had to go to Europe (Italy) for their portable migs, and Japan for their Inverter plasma cutters. Fast forward to today; Cebora has the largest range of Inverter power supplies, and is the number 1 manufacturer of plasma cutters world wide. Cebora still supplies companies such as Snap-On with welders and plasma cutters, as well as Miller from time to time. Lincoln still today buys their Inverter plasma cutters and plasma torches from Italy. Miller rules the world market for heavy industrial welders, Licoln rules the market for engine driven welders, and Cebora rules the portable and light industrial range.
For those using robotic cells for welding check out the Cebora site for their robotic power supply applications.
So don't think that because you have a small welder from Italy, Poland or where ever that you have a crappy welder. You can get crap from anywhere. You have to remember that you get what you pay for. A small 110V or 220V 130Amp welder will never be built as robust as an equivalent quality 250Amp welder because it does not have too. The whole idea behind a small and economical welder is its weight (portable) and price (economical). Ok, enough standing on the soap box.