Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
Rnz520

Send a message via AIM to Rnz520
Default Snap On Vantage Pro

Hey guys I figured I would ask here on advice.
My SO guy recently repoed a Vantage Pro with the latest software update and basic package. Retail of 2500 dollars.
He is trying to sell it for 1500.
My question here is, is this a good deal?
Who on here has used the Vantage pro? Did you have a good experience?
Let me know what your opinions of this deal are and how useful you found the tool. Also if I should try to talk him down a bit.
Thanks
Renzo
Rnz520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
chadster1

Default Re: Snap On Vantage Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnz520 View Post
Hey guys I figured I would ask here on advice.
My SO guy recently repoed a Vantage Pro with the latest software update and basic package. Retail of 2500 dollars.
He is trying to sell it for 1500.
My question here is, is this a good deal?
Who on here has used the Vantage pro? Did you have a good experience?
Let me know what your opinions of this deal are and how useful you found the tool. Also if I should try to talk him down a bit.
Thanks
Renzo
If you are doing a lot of diagnostics, the Vantage Pro is a useful tool. You combine a Vantage Pro and a Solus Pro and you have the same capabilities as a Modis. There is a LOT of information in there. Sensor locations, wire colors, correct waveforms etc. At $1500 you are basically getting that tool for 40% off from regular price. If it has the latest software you are getting a deal in my opinion. I am sure that everyone else is going to chime in and say the dealer wants too much money for it and they see them in a pawn shop or on ebay all the time for $500.
chadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Rnz520

Haha thanks Chadster, I was hoping either you or Shaun would chime in. Now lets see what people say but everything is pointing to me buying it next week if the unit is in good shape.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
mrshaun

guys that learn how to use it, love it to death and when you walk in the shop it is right where they are working. Some use it on every car they touch. just to verify that certain sensors are operating properly.

Snap On ratchet repair tool SPP744
Holds the ball to the spring while installing new parts.

Old style track drawer removal tool 52638 ( remover)
thin little piece of metal used to release the latches on older snap on boxes.

Snap On Hard handles are back.
hard handle numbers thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...handle+numbers
If you have a ? email me, you will get a faster response than a PM.
mrshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
econoaddict

We use ours all the time, absolutely love it.

If I have any doubt about a sensor working properly thats the go to tool.

That sounds like a good deal, ours came with the shop when we purchased it.
econoaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
Toolhorder

I haven't used the Vantage pro but have used the older Vantage. It's pretty good for a graphing multimeter. Some guys get in trouble with it here in CA. though diagnosing O2 sensors with it though for smog failures. The state says it's not an approved tool for checking them.
I've used it plenty of times though for O2 sensors and it's awesome for biased O2's. Much better than a MIN/MAX/AVE test. You have to have a good understanding of how fuel injection/computer controlled systems work though to use it effectively. I'm not sure how good the software is on the pro though. If I was going to buy one it would have to support A/F sensors since most of what I work on now is going in that direction.
Toolhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Rnz520

This tool is not an OBD scan tool is it?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
Toolhorder

Quote:
This tool is not an OBD scan tool is it?
No no it's not a scanner it's more of a sensor tester. You input the vehicle info first then you tell it what you want to test. Let's say you want to check a TPS. It will then tell you what wires to connect the leads to and then it displays the info. It's a graphing multimeter.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #9
Rnz520

Thats what I thought, I knew what it was just wanted to make sure weather it was or wasnt a scanner. Its still an awesome tool when used properly. Decision decisions.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #10
Toolhorder

Quote:
Thats what I thought, I knew what it was just wanted to make sure weather it was or wasnt a scanner. Its still an awesome tool when used properly. Decision decisions.
It's a good tool don't get me wrong. I would totally get it for $1500 if I had the money to do so. I work on Hondas though and have factory scan tools so I can pretty much diagnose anything with them so I don't really have a need. Would be nice though for those "trouble cars" I seem to get in my stall from time to time.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:29 AM   #11
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

I have one at work. It's very handy for catching intermittent sensor faults. It's basically a high speed graphing multimeter. It's a bit overkill but, I know several techs that use it as their primary DVOM. Snap on has a website
http://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics
that has tutorials and more information about their handheld diagnostic platforms. There's also a hanheld forum at iatn.net
Three more things. First, it's best to avoid Ebay for Snap on hand held diagnostic tools as if they're reported stolen, they are locked out for future updating. Secondly, the $1500 price is a good price. However, if you need to update it down the road, the updates aren't cheap so, don't think of the $1500 as being a one time tool purchase price.
Lastly, get whatever training you can find on using the Vantage pro. It's a great platform but, you have to learn how to maximum its capabilities.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadster1 View Post
. There is a LOT of information in there. Sensor locations, wire colors, correct waveforms etc.
You tell it what kind of car and it tells you where and how to test a particular sensor, including the wire color coming to the sensor. I could see how that would be valuable. I'm amazed at some of the tools Techs use to find an issue with a modern vehicle compared to the old days when you needed a screwdriver and a few wrenches
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
shadetree57

We have the Modis and if the vantage pro will do what the Modis does, you'll be happy with it. We couldn't stay in business without the help of this tool. Sounds like a good deal to me but I also know what we have invested in this Modis.
shadetree57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
Toolhorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwrench View Post
I have one at work. It's very handy for catching intermittent sensor faults. It's basically a high speed graphing multimeter. It's a bit overkill but, I know several techs that use it as their primary DVOM. Snap on has a website
http://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics
that has tutorials and more information about their handheld diagnostic platforms. There's also a hanheld forum at iatn.net
Three more things. First, it's best to avoid Ebay for Snap on hand held diagnostic tools as if they're reported stolen, they are locked out for future updating. Secondly, the $1500 price is a good price. However, if you need to update it down the road, the updates aren't cheap so, don't think of the $1500 as being a one time tool purchase price.
Lastly, get whatever training you can find on using the Vantage pro. It's a great platform but, you have to learn how to maximum its capabilities.
Be careful it's not as fast as most techs think it is. That's why it's not approved for O2 sensor diag. here in CA. It's not real time like a DSO.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
ourkid2000

So this thing is basically a very fancy Oscilliscope?
ourkid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote