Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #21
director_gtr

Default Re: Kerosene torpedo heaters

I got this for free from a friend
http://heating-and-cooling.hardwares...er-150144.aspx

I'm thinking it can only use kerosene and not desiel right? Has anyone used this unit before? Is it worth it to buy fuel for it?
director_gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #22
6768rogues

With any of the fuels, you still get about a gallon of water out of every gallon of fuel you use. Not matter how you cut it, you still have unvented combustion that should not be confined. I would not use one in a tight building, but in a drafty leaky building I would use one.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #23
Handyman163

director_gtr:

Check out this link to learn everything there is to know about kerosene heaters. I'm currently using a 10,000 btu kerosene (radiant style) heater to heat my garage. It will run about 16 hours on 1.9 gallons of kerosene, and will heat the garage from 40 degrees to 58 degrees or so in about 3-4 hours with the outside temp in the 20's. It's slow, but it doesn't use a ton of fuel.

I'm super interested in a torpedo heater if I can run diesel in them. $2.78/gal for diesel sure beats ~$5/gal for kerosene. Tractor Supply has a 5 gal can of K-1 kerosene for $45, but Menards has 2.5gal for $15!

http://www.milesstair.com/

You'll likely need a new wick for that heater unless it's brand new. The most important thing is NO WATER in the tank, or in your kerosene. It will kill the ability of the kerosene to wick and heat properly. The wicks run $5-15. Don't try and use kerosene that's not clear and less than one year old.

Last edited by Handyman163; 02-12-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: add'l info added - forgot link
Handyman163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #24
mobetta

I use one.currently I have a remington 55000 that I scored off craigslist for $15. run mostly bio-diesel in it, at a 90% rate. smells way better than D or K-1(does require a few mods to airflow and pressure). and if you can ind a K-1 pump, it is usually just a bit more than diesel- about 15-20 a gal more around here. biodiesel can be made for less than a dollar a gallon.

my garage has more open space than sealed walls, so no worries about CO.

when I get a new one up this year, I will be looking at better options, but I wont be getting rid of the torpedo.
mobetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #25
PassnThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley Canoe View Post
You'll poison yourself using kerosene or propane. Go electric. Check out www.perfectkennelheater.com ABSOLUTELY PERFECT FOR THE GARAGE !!
They are nice people and have everything you need. Bought mine for the dogs, but use it more for myself.

P.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley Canoe View Post
Greetings:

I recently purchased an infrared heater from 'Perfect kennel heater dot com' The thing works great. Keeps me as warm as it does the dogs. Nice people there and they have all kinds of heaters for all kinds of uses. check out
www.perfectkennelheater.com

P.C.
Hmmmmmmmm.
PassnThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #26
ket-tek

^^^^^^^^^Hmmm is about what I was thinking? A little self promotion spam for the website it seems.

Paisley Canoe, how about some insight on how well these heaters work?

Since on the site even your largest available 240v model is only rated to heat 56 sqft.. Most of the spaces needing to be heated here average 400-1200 sqft with 10'+ ceilings..

So about 20 of these 240v fixtures that pull 12.5 amps each may do the trick
ket-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #27
ket-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjeff View Post
Since my dream of putting a outside boiler to heat the house and garage wont happen untill I hit the lottery I am thinking about buying another torpedo heater,I have a 33 year old 85,000 BTU reddy heater thats probably getting close to being worn out so who all has one and what brand do you have. I have a 24X24 garage that I am heating.
I used to have a 70k Reddy Kerosene torpedo at my old house, that I traded to a friend when I moved, and that thing would run out the room it could pump out so much heat.

I have a 100k propane torpedo now at my current house that works great also.

I've enjoyed both of them, once you get numb to the droning woosh noise..

I haven't noticed any moisture issues with the kerosene or propane? Anyone got any more info on this issue that I see posted previously? Which one is supposed to be worse?

Last edited by ket-tek; 02-13-2010 at 09:25 PM.
ket-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #28
Handyman163

Paisley Canoe,

How close are you to your infrared heater when you're in your shop?
What area (sq. ft.) is your shop (roughly)? It doesn't heat the air, so you've got to be close, right?
Handyman163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:11 AM   #29
ItBurnsWhenIPee

I've been using a kerosene torpedo for years...And NOW you guys are telling me something about filters? If there's a filter in mine, it hasn't been touched in over 10 years. Where is this filter? Hard to change?

Interesting...

Oh...And I never vent my shop when it's lit. Stinks to high heaven and is loud as hell...But hey...My stereo goes to 11 and at least I'm toasty!
ItBurnsWhenIPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #30
junkyardjeff

There are usually 2 filters,one is in the back and is a air inlet filter and there is a fuel filter but you have to take the burner off to get at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBurnsWhenIPee View Post
I've been using a kerosene torpedo for years...And NOW you guys are telling me something about filters? If there's a filter in mine, it hasn't been touched in over 10 years. Where is this filter? Hard to change?

Interesting...

Oh...And I never vent my shop when it's lit. Stinks to high heaven and is loud as hell...But hey...My stereo goes to 11 and at least I'm toasty!
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #31
Charles (in GA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBurnsWhenIPee View Post
Actually three filters. On many heaters the main one is visible, a rectangular foam filter on the back of the air pump. This filters air that goes to the carbon vane pump that siphons the fuel. On some heaters this is behind the plastic louvers and not easy to see. There is also a small square felt filter about the size of a small postage stamp. It requires removing the back housing of the air pump to access it. And then there is the fuel filter.

The foam rots and breaks up and gets sucked into the air pump and damages it. If you are cheap and don't want to order a new one, get a dry, oil free, Briggs and Stratton foam air filter and cut it to shape and shove it in.

New parts are available from http://www.reddyparts.com/default.htm

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #32
ItBurnsWhenIPee

Cool...Thanks.

I'll have to check it oot this weekend.
ItBurnsWhenIPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #33
Shadowdog500

My new pole barn is close to 30,000 cubic feet with eve and ridge vents, so heating the whole thing while I am only working in one part seems wasteful to me.

I recently picked up a Protemp Sun-Stream 70,000 BTU radiant kerosene heater from Tractor supply for $229. I only used it a few times so far but really like the thing. It is really quiet when compared to a torpedo heater, and it don't have that kerosene wick heater smell that gives me a headache. It appears to be a small torpedo heater inside that heats the front plate red hot. The front plate radiates heat, and the fan also pushes warm air out around 15 feet just like a torpedo heater. I just point it where I am working about 10 feet away and turn it on and stay comfortable.

I havent had it long enough to talk about longevity, but so far I am happy.

Here is a link and Photo,

If I decide to heat the whole barn eventually, I am leaning towards an infrared tube heater.

Chris

http://www.tractorsupply.com/kerosen...heater-3202994

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 02-21-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Shadowdog500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #34
930dreamer
Super Moderator

So they do have filters. I've never looked on mine. Looks like its time for some maintainence.
930dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #35
Featherweight

One way a friend of mines reduced the fumes in his garage was used a Through Wall Dryer vent. But the diameter was the same as the diameter on the 150kbtu heater.....He ran flex tubing to the back of the heater so it will always suck in fresh air instead of recirculating the fumes from the heater in the garage....it works great! You barely smell any fumes unlike before....i would say it was reduced by 60%....For $20 - $40 of buying sheet metal and flex tubing...i'd say its worth it all day!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #36
930dreamer
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobetta View Post
I use one.currently I have a remington 55000 that I scored off craigslist for $15. run mostly bio-diesel in it, at a 90% rate. smells way better than D or K-1(does require a few mods to airflow and pressure). and if you can ind a K-1 pump, it is usually just a bit more than diesel- about 15-20 a gal more around here. biodiesel can be made for less than a dollar a gallon.

my garage has more open space than sealed walls, so no worries about CO.

when I get a new one up this year, I will be looking at better options, but I wont be getting rid of the torpedo.
Please tell me more about biodiesel and the heater. Any information about making also
930dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #37
earlybirds

I just bought a Mr. Heater torpedo heater and LOVE it. It is a "multifuel" heater meaning it can use kerosene, diesel fuel, fuel oil, jet fuel, etc. I have the model KTR125 which is 125,000 BTU/hr. I use it to heat my 30x40 pole barn. I use diesel fuel since it is the cheapest. The amazing thing is there is NO odor from the fuel while it's running. I also like being able to roll the unit around the shop directing the heat where I need it the most.
earlybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #38
trbomax

I bought 2 "mr heater" units last fall to thaw out the groomer tractors quicker than just letting them sit. One was a 125000 and the other a 210000.To make a long story short,the 125000 works great,but the first 210 lasted a week and the flame sensor went out. They sent a new one,two days later it starts doing the delayed ignition w/lots of smoke/fumes thing. I called them and they said take it back. I did and tsc cheerfully gave me another one. Two days later it starts lighting late,then the sob catches on fire. Did that 2 times,I called them again. they said take it back,so I did,but tsc didnt have any more of them,so I went over to family farm and got one. Ran it a week and it started the same thing,only caught on fire once though!.Took it back and they were out of them but had a 175000,so I took it. Its worked fine. I took pics of the smoke and fire episodes,but I really think they have a problem with the 210000's and either dont know it or are not acknowledgeing it(toyota syndrome?). Any how, just thought I'd pass my experience along.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote