Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
JOHNMAN

Default Cheap ceiling for a pole barn.

I'm looking for ideas to put up a cheap ceiling in my pole barn.

Here is what I have:

A pole barn 64' x 40' with trusses on 8'-0" centers. There is virtually no bridging between the lower chord of the trusses, but I have been considering adding some.

The building is divided into two areas. A 24' x 40' room already has a ceiling (OSB) and is insulated with cellulose blown-in insulation.

I want to put a cheap ceiling in the other area and insulate it with something cost effective. The 24' x 40' room stays warm with a single baseboard heater. The larger room looses heat rapidly.

The building is wrapped with the thin white squished wrap common to pole barns, but I don't think it offers much.

I was thinking something like a thin metal like standing seam with either blown in insulation or foam board for insulation.

Any ideas on what could be used that would not sag over the 8' spans, or that would take a minimum of supports between the trusses?

Thanks for your ideas.
JOHNMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
Nutty 5.0

Default Re: Cheap ceiling for a pole barn.

Not sure if its what your looking for, but you can see what I did for my ceiling with foam board in my garage with the link in the sig below.
24'x32'x12' Conestoga built pole building with two 10'x10' doors. 6" concrete floor 4500 psi. Bend Pak MX10-AC 2 post lift and a Pro Park 8 Plus 4 post lift with lifting jack . U-Coat it floor and Garage Pak air lines. Built in March 2005. My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=41534
Nutty 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-10-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
Daniel Dudley

I'm not sure anything would be cheaper than OSB and blown in. Metal would need sleepers at least every 24 to 30 inches, although I would think you would need sleepers for OSB as well.

I would put up 2x4 sleepers, 16 footers alternating the joints on the trusses at 24'' on center. Then I would decide my material after shopping around.

Unless you have a source for foam board, it is not cheap. Shopping around on the telephone saved me over ten dollars a rafter for some roof framing a few years ago, and almost 20.00 a sheet for siding. It isn't always obvious who will have the lowest price on anything, so you have to call around.
Daniel Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
aar0s

Ive seen guys use what we call "energy shield" as a ceiling. Its a 1/2 foam board with reflective foil on both sides. you could put some boards between the trusses and go that route.
aar0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Tman

Tin is about the cheapest durable thing you can do. Shop for blems, overstock etc. A pal did this in his and ended up with 3 colors but it was cheap.

www.compulsionrodandcustom.com
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
pjm1

I just finished the ceiling and insulation on my 40x70 pole barn 10' centers on trusses. What I did was install metal on the underside of the trusses off of the cord braces which were on 5' centers. Then blew in 210 bags of cellulose on top of it. worked great. The walls received 2-5" of closed cell spray foam, made the building solid and has been very warm now. double barrel wood stove will keep it an easy 75 (too hot) when it is in the teens outside.
pjm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
hetkind
Banned

Actually, I have been working on the same project for my 34x70 polebarn, the 34x40 side with walls needs a ceiling to help keep the heat in. With the eve vents and the ridge vents, all the heat goes up and out. The price for tin came out to about $1,100, 2x4 sleepers with OSB with be less than half of that. So I am planning on 2x4 on 24" centers, 10' between the rafters, the OSB with 6" fiberglass unfaced insulation batts. This allows me to work at my own speed with a free hour here and there without having to use a vacation day. Plus the OSB has more sound deadening than tin would.

Since the eve height is 20', I found some used scaffolding on craigs list and ordered some really nice wheels for it from Scaffold Mart. It will also allow me to insulate and OSB the walls above the 8' mark. Eventually, the building will be tight enough for the pot belly stove to get it to 65' degrees, so I can spend my winters evenings doing body work on my restoration projects.

Once the interior finish is up, then all the vintage signs, posters, artwork can finally go up on the walls.

Howard
hetkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Poppa Bud

I plan on using 1" foam 4x8 sheets on mine, it has a reflective (silver) surface. My trusses are 4' oc, I don't plan on putting in any furring strips to support it.

My eave height is 14', I don't think a lot of insulation would do me any good.
Poppa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
JOHNMAN

Some good thoughts here. Please keep them up. I haven't decided yet.

I have wanted to bridge between the trusses as I think it would stiffen up the roof.

I'm not used to having trusses so far apart, but so far it hasn't been a problem.

The reason I want to do a ceiling is to keep heat in. I had thought about just insulating between the upper truss section (just under the roof deck), but I decided that it wouldn't be a real good idea and I don't know what I would use for insulation there anyway.

If I do a cost effective ceiling, I will probably use blown in cellulose insulation. That should keep the heat in better than the open trusses.

John
Old 02-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
zer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar0s View Post
Ive seen guys use what we call "energy shield" as a ceiling. Its a 1/2 foam board with reflective foil on both sides. you could put some boards between the trusses and go that route.
+1 Built a pole barn for a friend and he did this with great success. Michigan winters it stays warm with a propane heater. We installed with screws and 2" plastic washers.
zer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
JOHNMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer01 View Post
+1 Built a pole barn for a friend and he did this with great success. Michigan winters it stays warm with a propane heater. We installed with screws and 2" plastic washers.
What color is that?
Old 02-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #12
mebedave

I'm in the same boat. I have a 40x80 pole building trusses are on 12' centers. I will finish off half as a heated shop and other half as cold storage. I have a few problems, with a 12' span I'm thinking 2x6's frame in between trusses every 24" and then OSB or used tin. The other problem, the tin sweats! Got a price to spray half the building (ceiling only)with 1" closed cell foam $2800 then I still have to do a blow in insulation over the drop ceiling. That $2800 just is not in the budget!!! So I'm at a stand still until I can come up with a way to control the sweating. I don't have overhangs so venting is a problem. HOW do so many people insulate these metal buildings with out spray foam?
mebedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #13
brownbagg

tin is not cheap no more, a piece 3 ft by 8 ft is $20, compare to osb 4x8 $8 thats almost three piece of plywood for each piece of tin. and with the cold metal you have condesation problems. use osb or cdx and addd extra insulation on top.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #14
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

I used some 1/2" foil backed foam board. It shows some sag (24"O.C.) after about 6 years. I'd hate to see the sag on wider centers.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
JOHNMAN

What is the minimum thickness of OSB that won't sag over a 24" O/C span ceiling? Would I be able to get away with 1/4" or 3/8"?

I'm thinking of framing between the bottom chord of my roof trusses with 2x4's on 24" centers to provide something to support OSB.

Did I mention that I don't really like OSB? I might think about painting it before installing it so I would only have to touch it up where necessary.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #16
D KRAGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMAN View Post
What is the minimum thickness of OSB that won't sag over a 24" O/C span ceiling? Would I be able to get away with 1/4" or 3/8"?

I'm thinking of framing between the bottom chord of my roof trusses with 2x4's on 24" centers to provide something to support OSB.

Did I mention that I don't really like OSB? I might think about painting it before installing it so I would only have to touch it up where necessary.
Go with 7/16" OSB, I wouldn't go any thinner... I just got done doing exactly what you are doing. Put 2x4's between the rafters on 24" centers and put up the 7/16" osb.

They make tin that will span the whole 8' between the rafters (has taller ribs), but I'm not sure on the price.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=51498
D KRAGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
zer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMAN View Post
What color is that?
It is silver on both sides.
zer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #18
hetkind
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D KRAGER View Post
Go with 7/16" OSB, I wouldn't go any thinner... I just got done doing exactly what you are doing. Put 2x4's between the rafters on 24" centers and put up the 7/16" osb.

They make tin that will span the whole 8' between the rafters (has taller ribs), but I'm not sure on the price.
the firm that supplied the tin for my pole barn said they use the same type tin for the ceiling, at over $1,100 for the 34x40 area, with the j molding.

Howard
hetkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #19
JOHNMAN

If I go 7/16" OSB ($6.77) and 2x4's ($2.16) on 24" centers I should be able to do my area for around $665 (no insulation).
Old 02-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #20
boo coo tracks

Don't know about price but have you considered plastic corregated roofing? You could overlap for strength and it come in various widths & lengths.
Tracks
boo coo tracks is offline   Reply With Quote