Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
WEEKENDMECHANIC

Default Menards garage packages

I went to the local Menard to price up building materials for my garage I am planning on building. Nothing is final yet, still trying to decide how big to make it. I am thinking a 30' x 36'. So I use their walk up computer and punch in everything I want. The complete finished package ran me just under 8 grand for a 30' x 36' x 10 walls. It was about a year ago that I did this (wow-didnt think it was that long ago) I didnt think that was too bad. Does anybody have opinions about these package deals versus going to a lumberyard? Pros -cons??
WEEKENDMECHANIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
landon1

Default Re: Menards garage packages

i think both of my dad's garages are menards buildings, but then he re-arranged the doors how he wanted, etc. so they weren't exactly to plan
landon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
lpigg

My project started out as a Menards package and then we made some little tweaks. It was 24 by 28 with a 2nd story. Check out my build. Total estimate was $10G for material but it ran closer to $12.5 due to some changes. I like Menards alot but I have noticed that the quality of the lumber has slipped a little. It seems when I want 20 or 30 2X4's it takes me forever to find 10 good ones.
lpigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
flatheadguy

This is exactly the size building kit I purchased from Menards. Mine was delivered last week and we'll start putting it up as soon as the weather breaks. Oh, I went for a pole type construction. I did have problems ordering and was going to start a thread about the trials and tribulations after I put the damn thing together.
I started by going to their website. The plan I wanted was number 1903614. Simple enough. The price quoted was subject to updates. So, off I go to the nearest store.
At the building department I requested that exact building. The employee couldn't get it to pop up on the computer so we went to the "Design Center" and that is when it all went to hell. He entered the size, 30x36x10. He placed the two overhead doors and the monitor showed them to be on the sidewall. Wrong. I wanted them on the eave end. So he moved them over. Unfortunately, he also took the 36 foot dimension and moved that too. After we finally got the right picture on the screen (with no scale) I said it looked like the plan number I wanted. He printed out about ten pages itemizing every part including nails, screws and even the two silicone sealer tubes. Yes, I should have taken the time to double check all the entries, but he obviously knew what I wanted from the start so off I go to the cashier and pay for the whole damn thing.
A few days later, the plans arrive. Oh, oh....this building is 36x36!! I cannot fit that on my lot and keep the property lines correct. Panic!! I called the store instantly and reported the problem. I put a halt on the order. The guy I talked to, a junior employee, was fantastic. He asked me to come into the store and sort this all out. I met him the next day. In two seconds he had the building kit I originally wanted on the computer. With one click of the keyboard, I had the readout for the whole deal. Now there was a money issue. It turns out that I over paid by about seven hundred dollars. All this took place back in October 2009. Here it is, four months later and the damn thing is finally delivered and sitting in a storage building. Oh, the overpayment? Menards sent me a voucher for $413 for store credit. Seems like a bit less that it should be, but, oh, well. But a store credit? That is not right. The store manager does admit that they screwed up my initial order, and that I did overpay, but a store credit is all they can do. I'll keep you all updated when the building goes up. I am a bit pissed, but my blood pressure is high enough as is.
I would NOT do this again. I'd get individual pieces, as needed from Menards or Home Depot. As least there wouldn't be anyone to rely on but me.
So there!! Now I feel a little better venting.
flatheadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
caper150

Mine is a Menards pkg. I didn't have any problem, if there was, like they gace me reg roofing nails, I just took them back and exchanged them for the ciols to fit the gun, no problem, and I returned some item that I just didn't use (tweeked it a bit here and there) and even getting store credit wasn't an issue to me, not like I wasn't going back there for insulation or drywall.

caper150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Red Green

If you order a kit make sure the doors are where you want them to be on the computer screen. My kit was had all sorts of odd length lumber that I had to return because they put the four garage doors on the same side of the building.

"Unlike love respect can't be bought" H. Simpson
Red Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
WEEKENDMECHANIC

Caper, what are the dimensions of you garage? Do you feel like they provided you quality lumber and materials? I am seriously thinking this would be the way to go, although i didnt realize that they cut the lumber to length depending on where you have the openings on the plan like Red says. I can see how that would be a pain if you wanted to change things up.
WEEKENDMECHANIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
Red Green

It wasn't really cut to length they were standard lengths. We had ten foot between the posts and they sent a lot of 8' 2x4s so they wouldn't cover the gaps.

"Unlike love respect can't be bought" H. Simpson
Red Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
TJ Cooper

Mine was a Menards package too 28x30. Started out with the computer program then added upgraded doors, windows and changed roof overhangs. They nailed it pretty close, ended up buying a couple of 2x6's and had a sheet of OSB and 7 feet of LVL left over.
TJ Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
belvedere

I bought my materials at Menards. I just used the Design Center, then took the printout to the desk and told them the changes I wanted. They printed out a revised materials list. When I got home, I found some items missing from the list. I called, and the guy I had dealt with sent me to millwork (it was for trim around the garage doors). Well, the girl in millwork was very snotty and condescending, and wouldn't help me. To make a long story short, we had to drive there (55 miles) again to straighten it out.

The next day, my wife called the manager and told him the whole story. He said that because we had to make an extra trip, they would make a trip for us. They delivered all the materials at no charge! I was happy.

The quality of materials was good, and I would buy from them again. Other than the one employee's attitude problem, I have no complaints.

Question for TJ: Was your avatar pic taken in Animas Forks?
belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
belvedere

One more thing: any extra materials can be returned without a problem, as long as you have your receipt.
belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
lpigg

Most of the time you don't even need a receipt as long as you have the credit card that you made the purchase with.
lpigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #13
Treorp55

My dad purchased a 45x30 menards kit and we put it up last summer without problems. The prices change on the steel buildings often due to steel prices
Treorp55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #14
caper150

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEKENDMECHANIC View Post
Caper, what are the dimensions of you garage? Do you feel like they provided you quality lumber and materials? I am seriously thinking this would be the way to go, although i didnt realize that they cut the lumber to length depending on where you have the openings on the plan like Red says. I can see how that would be a pain if you wanted to change things up.
It's 32x40x10, I thought the lumber was quite good, I didn't have any that I returned because of poor quality. When ordered my pkg the small 8X10 on the side wasn't added in, that was one of my tweeks. They didn't cut to length any of my lumber, my headers for the OH doors were way longer than I needed.Like said hang onto your reciept it helps but not always needed, I have returned stuff there almost 6-8 months later with no problems just got store credit.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #15
Mattlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper150 View Post
Mine is a Menards pkg. I didn't have any problem, if there was, like they gace me reg roofing nails, I just took them back and exchanged them for the ciols to fit the gun, no problem, and I returned some item that I just didn't use (tweeked it a bit here and there) and even getting store credit wasn't an issue to me, not like I wasn't going back there for insulation or drywall.
Caper, what's the little room off to the side? Compressor room? Office? Restroom?

I've often kicked around the idea of having a small separately heated "tool room".
Mattlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
caper150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlt View Post
Caper, what's the little room off to the side? Compressor room? Office? Restroom?

I've often kicked around the idea of having a small separately heated "tool room".
It houses the compressor, electrial,and heat system for the in floor heat as well as some cabinets for storage.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #17
Garage-Art

That is a good idea. Do Lowes or Home Depot have something similar?
Garage-Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #18
RbrtAWhyt

84 Lumber does this, if you have one of those near you:

http://www.84lumber.com/projects/garages.asp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran
You can only get the clap so many times before it turns into applause...

Hit me up on Facebook.
RbrtAWhyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #19
AdamMopar

Worked great for me. No problems.

Adam
AdamMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #20
srmofo

Ive got a menards building and I wasnt too happy with them afterward. They shorted me 4 bundles of shingles (try matching colors out of different batches), at least 60 2x4s, I used every last piece of siding and I had virtually no waste, And had an unbelievable amount of returns. Everything from 3 extra rolls of house wrap, countless pieces of lumber that I had no idea what they were for, 30 pieces of j channel, 10 pieces of f channel, bunch of starter strips. over $1000 worth of stuff.

That wouldnt be such a big deal if wasnt such a hassle to return over $1000 in supplies. IF youve never returned items to menards before you'll find out what I mean. Then they wanted to give me shit because some of it was not in-stock items. I had to argue with them that it was THEIR material list.

Then you get into the issue that they damaged 5 of my trusses with a forklift and sent them anyways with a piece of plywood to "fix" them with. Yeah go fawk yourselfs on that one. Or the other issue that they forgot to send half of my garage door hardware and only after having to argue with the idiots for a half hour did they "find" the boxes laying in the back with my name on them.

CLIFF NOTES: figure your own material lists up then price it out, check and recheck your deliveries for missing supplies
srmofo is offline   Reply With Quote