Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
dudeofswim

Default Behr 1-Part Epoxy or Behr 2-Part Epoxy?

Hello USERS OF GARAGEJOURNAL,

1st post . I am going to get my garage coated so that It can be used as a study hall, while still having one car inside. I have decided on epoxy and have hired a guy to do it for me . Now for the real conflict, My Installer
has experience with 1-Part Epoxy. What are the disadvantages to the 1-Part?
It's really cheap ~$35 @HD for 250 sq so $60 for 500. Now The guy insisted on one coat, so we bought Behr 1-Part Epoxy Acrylic and HD mixed it to the color we wanted. I on the other hand wanted the Behr 2-Part Epoxy Acrylic that cost $75 for a gallon, so $150 total. Both parties (excluding me) thought that the one part will be fine as the HD guy said they are both the same except this one has the flakes in it. (thats not true is it?).

So Does anyone have experience with Behr 1-Part Epoxy Acrylic or 1parts in general?
What about the 2-part? Is it worth the extra $90?
What about the $5 non slip thing?
What is the difference between the two and which one is better?
Please try and convince them to what is better?

Thanks
Dudeofswim
dudeofswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
WolverineCoatings

Default Re: Behr 1-Part Epoxy or Behr 2-Part Epoxy?

I hate the 'ol 1-Part Epoxy description. There is NO SUCH THING no matter what it says on the can.

What this really is... is... an Acrylic Epoxy. Now, sometimes a company will put the 'epoxy' in front of the 'acrylic' and call it an Epoxy Acrylic.

So, why would you mix an epoxy with an acrylic? Well, for starters, acrylics are cheap. However, epoxy has better adhesion and chemical resistance. So, a VERY small amount of epoxy is added to make the coating tougher and more durable. (Of course, this is relative to acrylic. It's not like this is going to be anywhere near the toughness of even a waterbased epoxy let alone a solvent based or 100% solids epoxy.) The word 'Epoxy' is added because most people know that epoxy is better than acrylic for concrete. Most manufacturers that market this way do not tell you that the level of epoxy is pretty insignificant.

If it were me... I would:
1) Find a new installer that know what (and about what) he is doing. Any installer that would recommend a 1K Acrylic Epoxy is planning to come back and do it again for twice the price! Even the best products are only as good as the application.

2) Do more research. You need to know if your expectations are in line with your budget. I suspect that you're trying to get out on the cheap but are expecting the floor to last. You're gonna get what you pay for!

3) It's difficult to find knowledgeable people at the big box store. If you're going to buy a cheap product they I would at least try to go to an independent paint store where they may be more knowledgeable.

4) Last... have you figured out what you are going to get for the money? The thinner the thickness of the coating will be the tougher it needs to be. From your post... at best... you are only going to have like 2-3 mils of coating thickness IF... none of the coating goes into the pores. Of course, if none of it goes in to the pores it's going to peel up.

I can go on but I'm suspecting that you hoped to come here for vindication. Sorry, but your post is screaming to me that you were really hoping to come here and have someone tell you that you were doing the right thing. I could be wrong... but... this just seems like one of those 'Ready... Fire... Aim...' scenarios.

If you want a quality garage floor you need to start out with a quality installer AND quality products.

Wolverine Coatings Corporation's products are sold exclusively through Fred with AlphaGarage for Residential or DIY applications. Please contact Fred@AlphaGarage.com for your DIY project.

Last edited by WolverineCoatings; 02-21-2010 at 11:20 PM.
WolverineCoatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
sneezer41

I have used a number of single part epoxy paints on garage floors with good results. They are not glassy smooth like true epoxies, but they are a really good paint

I have never liked Behr anything, so would avoid that, but used a sears paint [in 1988] and ben moore industrial several times and would use it again. Again, it will be most likely a matte finish, but will not come up from oil, gas, brake fluid etc.
sneezer41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
TheBanker

dude it depends on what you want or looking for. Look at it this way. The product you are looking at is simply a paint made for concrete. Just like painting your wall but you will paint your garage floor. Forget any gloss or thickness or flakes. It will be painted cement.
TheBanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:09 AM   #5
dudeofswim

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineCoatings View Post
I hate the 'ol 1-Part Epoxy description. There is NO SUCH THING no matter what it says on the can.
If you want a quality garage floor you need to start out with a quality installer AND quality products.
First of all thanks for your posts!
The installer seems to know what he doing with one part epoxys. I really want two-part, so you are right with the vindication, its just the other way around . He already applied the primer today. I think I don't have too many options but to advocate for a 2-part. Would the installation be different?
Again the difference is $90, which whoever is in control of this project thinks is a lot because they are getting $400 for 450sqft. I really want a 2 part with gloss and what not, but we will see. I will push for it, but I may just have to get a 1 part and be unhappy. This will be there just so that we can start up a sort of game room/ car park in our garage. Lets hope for the best. Thanks guys!
dudeofswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
AlphaGarage

As far as application, 1 and 2 parts are pretty different, simply put one requires careful measuring and mixing, the other doesn't, plus the pot life of a 2 part will be shorter. Now having said that don't get all freaked out and think that a 2 part system requires a PhD in chemistry and knowledge of the secret handshake.

On this forum alone there have been well over 150 successful DIY projects completed just with our products. You just need to carefully review and follow the application guidelines.

This is your garage, your money, your home. Don't just "hope for the best," plan on it and make it happen.
Fred@AlphaGarage.com 877-333-GARAGE (4272)

<br><br>
AlphaGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Voluntaryist1

Do you guys know if it is really necessary to use the primer before you put down the 1 part. I'm using Behr 1 part epoxy acrylic concrete and garage floor paint. Thanks I'm in the middle of the job so any reply would be appreciated ASAP.
Voluntaryist1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behr, epoxy, garage, one-part