Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
tpolley

Default tips for unsticking a stuck brake

i have a 92 f250. whenever it gets cold and snowy the rear drums freeze. i've always been able to give it a little throttle, dump the clutch and get them to break loose. this morning i couldn't. i did a sideways lap around the block before i gave up and parked in the street infront of my house. i don't think i can get the truck in the driveway. what are some tricks i can try?

once i get the brake loose what can i do to prevent this from happening? what causes this? is the cable frose or is there ice built up in the drum?

2 years ago i put in new drums, shoes, hardware and cables.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
sk farmer

Default Re: tips for unsticking a stuck brake

i had the brakes stick on my wife's car this winter. i sprayed windshield deicer in the caliper of the rear wheels. i don't rememeber the brand but it is in hand spray bottle it has also opened up some padlocks that were frozen shut. i have no idea if it will hurt anything on your brakes but it did not seem to hurt ours

I have seen first hand so called mechanics using said ratchet as a hammer. These are the same people who are waiting for the (insert tool maker here) for a warranty claim, because they were too stupid & lazy to get up and retrieve a hammer or what ever impact tool they required for said job . . .
sk farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
metal1313

usually if i have the problem its in the cable line. i spray wd-40 into the line, and then after some time to let things dry a little i take some heavy sticky grease and pack the end of the lines with it to keep water and crap out. im sure theres a right way, but this has worked for me

also make sure everything is well coated with break grease, and think about replacing the pistons, i think they cost around 30 for the pair
metal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
porphyre
Banned

You said you changed brake hardware 2 years ago. Did the problem exist before then? If not, you may want to re-check your work. Something may be mis-installed. Good luck.
porphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
A_Pmech
Super Moderator

Popping the clutch on frozen brakes is a good way to break something.

If the brakes are frozen, use a weed burner to heat up the drums.

Also, in wet weather around freezing, don't use the parking brake. Leave it in first and chock the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stanley Hooker
One stroke to produce power and three strokes to wear it out.

Last edited by A_Pmech; 02-22-2010 at 10:19 AM.
A_Pmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Moose-LandTran

Send a message via AIM to Moose-LandTran Send a message via MSN to Moose-LandTran

To prevent wet brakes from freezing, drag the brakes slightly before parking to dry them. Or as AP said, check the wheels instead of using them.
Moose-LandTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
sberry

Yes, I come to a rolling stop when parking drums, I have had this happen on Fords. This is a side note but I almost always remove the drums at service when rotating tires. I take hand grinder and take the ridge out of them, makes it super easy to check hardware, make sure adjusters are working, etc. Wheel cyls are cheap these days, a 92 would have been on at least a second set.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
tdkkart

Are you sure they are freezing, or are the shoes and the drums rusting together?? This seems to be a common problem lately, caused by a combination of the higher metallic composition of non-asbestos pads and the instant rusting that the chicom rotors and drums seem to be prone to. I've seen and heard several complaints on this.
I installed new pads and rotors on my crap-box '94 Jetta las fall, ever since the rear brakes howl for the first few feet after being parked overnight or in damp conditions.
Looked at it a couple times, all appears to be fine except for the insta-rust that forms overnight.
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote