Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
scottzilla

Default Truss cost?

Lowes quoted me $82.37 Each for 6" 12 slope, 20' span trusses and $123.56 each for two end pcs.
This is for a 20x30 garage.
This is a discounted price (5.5%), dealing with Lowes commercial sales. Oddly, my dealings with them thus far has been quite positive.
Is the truss price competitive (I'm on LI)?
Lowes has to special order trusses from Boise.

The guy that will be building the garage is actually a very capable carpenter and says I should just stick build the roof. Problem with this is I can't find stick built (Roof) plans online (They all have trusses) and don't want to pay $1000 for plans. The truss roof (Materials only) will cost $1760.30 + tax. Do you think I can stick build a 20x30 roof for less than that? I'm not sure what code is but imagine 2x10's would be necessary.
Also, I think I would have to center brace the roof if I stick build. Not necessary if I use trusses.

Last edited by scottzilla; 02-23-2010 at 10:14 AM.
scottzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
GarageEnvy

Default Re: Truss cost?

I'm out in California and the trusses just spec'd for my 53x34 are about $2,300. The 34' span and 4/12 pitch necessitated the use of 2x6 for top and bottom chords. Also it is half scissor truss and has a hip roof at one end so those drove up the cost a bit too. Twenty years ago when I did a brief stint as a framer everything we did was cut and stack. Now it is all pretty much truss construction for speed and labor savings. Two guys could set trusses about as fast as you can set them in place. I do have a 12' section that is going to have to be cut and stack on my tie-in to my house. I haven't received bids back on it yet. When I do I'll post for comparison.
GarageEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
twostory

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Problem with this is I can't find stick built (Roof) plans online (They all have trusses) and don't want to pay $1000 for plans.
I suggest you spend $20 for a book on framing. A framing book will show you how to build the roof & then you can figure out material cost.
twostory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
VC-Racing

I don't know where you are located but when I got my 2x6 30' 4:12 trusses with a 10" bottom cord, I paid around $90 each delivered. If it were me I would contact a few local truss manufacturer's and see what they have to offer. I'm willing to bet Lowes is adding a substantial mark up to sell/order those trusses to you.
I see where they quoted a end truss, can you explain what the difference between the 2 are. We used the same trusses for the entire structure( pole barn).
VC-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
stinkythings.com

Scott,
Get a quote from Riverhead Building Supply. They were better on price for a friends 20x40 garage a few years ago.
stinkythings.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Friartuck

Think you can specify if you want the center section "open" for storage of light loads. Inquire at the time of ordering.
Friartuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
scottzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkythings.com View Post
Scott,
Get a quote from Riverhead Building Supply. They were better on price for a friends 20x40 garage a few years ago.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
scottzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friartuck View Post
Think you can specify if you want the center section "open" for storage of light loads. Inquire at the time of ordering.

Yes, agreed. I know there are certain truss styles that allow for more height space. I have an overall 14' peak height restriction as it is.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
scottzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC-Racing View Post
I don't know where you are located but when I got my 2x6 30' 4:12 trusses with a 10" bottom cord, I paid around $90 each delivered. If it were me I would contact a few local truss manufacturer's and see what they have to offer. I'm willing to bet Lowes is adding a substantial mark up to sell/order those trusses to you.
I see where they quoted a end truss, can you explain what the difference between the 2 are. We used the same trusses for the entire structure( pole barn).

I cannot explain why the ends are different. I have no building experience but it is my understanding the ends are indeed different.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
blkhonda1991

if you can get the trusses up without needing a crane go the truss route, you'll save on labor and you'll get the roof up much faster. at a 20' span you are maxing ouat 2x10's at 16" oc and you ll need 2x6 rafters. to do material cost you'll need 23 x 2 x cost of lumber for the rafters and 23 x lumber cost for the ceiling joists (23 is the number of joists/rafters at 16" o.c.) . the reason the two end trusses are different and more expensive is they add in vertical furring for the exterior sheathing to be attached to

Last edited by blkhonda1991; 02-23-2010 at 06:04 PM.
blkhonda1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Hank McMauser

center bracing the roof is not necesary on a 20 ft span,( I assume you mean posts in the center) the rafters bear on one another at the ridge board,with a ceiling joist attached to each end it creates a triangle the ceiling joists being a very important part if they aren't there your roof would look like an old barn with the roof sagging in the center.
Depending where you are at the bldg dept will usually be satisfied w/a simple drawing of what you intend to build with dimensions listed as long as you stick to what you submit,and it meets loads you should be ok there no plans/blueprint necesary on a simple garage. especially if it seems as though the owner/ builder seems to know what they are doing
Hank
Hank McMauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
dipper

Send a message via AIM to dipper

I priced out trusses for my 20x22 garage; and they were $$$$. I wanted attic storage space too. I ended up stick building it myself and saved a ton of money. I stick built each "truss" for about $50. The price of a 2x10x20 for the ceiling joist, and (2) 2x8x16 for the rafters. I have a 20' clear span and built them 24" o.c. I didn't have to have stamped plans for my garage so that may be an issue for you, but I'd check with your building department. If you have a framing guy, he probably sure knows how to stick build a roof and might be able to do it cheaper for you. The building dept. should be able to get something approved, they have been stick building roofs for at least 100 years in residential construction.

20x22 Build Pics: http://s630.beta.photobucket.com/use...e/1_Demolition
dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
mobetta

that price seams pretty high, but I bet there arent many truss builders on LI.

in the midwest, menards carries 4/12 24' for like $38./ea
mobetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobetta View Post
that price seams pretty high, but I bet there arent many truss builders on LI.

in the midwest, menards carries 4/12 24' for like $38./ea
These are about the cheapest trusses you can get, they probably also include a 1 foot overhang. These trusses are whay I built the house garage 24x 32.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
Half Baked

Bought 33 through Home Depot last April for 61.08 + tax,free delivery, they are 40' free span, 4/12 pitch. 1' over hang, used 1/2" OSB and GAF 30 yr shingles.
Here's some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2800 (Medium).JPG (128.8 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2828 (Medium).JPG (92.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2874 (Medium).JPG (116.5 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2934 (Medium).JPG (89.4 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Half Baked; 02-23-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #16
willymakeit

Use trusses. For open storage you can use an attic truss but , there will not be alot of room. The truss manuf. should deliver to your location the same as Lowes.
willymakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:49 PM   #17
Hank McMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I cannot explain why the ends are different. I have no building experience but it is my understanding the ends are indeed different.
If the gable trusses are structural(not going to be sitting on an end wall) they are usually the same design as the common trusses only the gable trusses will have additional members(usually vertical) in them to attach your siding to. If you can't envision it ,try gogle image search for gable truss you'll see what I mean
Hank McMauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #18
AMCguy

I ordered my gable end truss reduced in hight by 3 1/2''. This way I could cantilever my overhangs.
AMCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #19
AMCguy

I forgot to mention, my truss package consisted of thirty seven 32' wide, 5/12 pitch 2x4 constructed trusses. The end two as described in the above post. I paid $3,643.00 or $98.46 each.

Delivery was $600.00 I know that sounds high, but I live 100 miles and a long ferry ride from where they were built.
AMCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #20
kbs2244

If your builder is a good carpenter ask him about a ridge beam constrruction.
(Not a ridge board!)
With this you put up a post at each end of the ridge and the ridge beam spans from post to post.
When you add the rafters they are now in compression and hold the walls stright.
That means no joists at the top of the walls.
You end up with a nice high, valuted celing room.
This is how homes with vaulted celings are built.
This style works best if the big doors are on the gutter sides of the building.
But with a good header the post can be put on the ridge ends.
The ridge beam can be steel, lam wood, whatever the local inspector wants.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote