Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
TipsyMcStagger

Default Cost to add Second floor above Garage?

I'm in contract to buy a small home on a canal in Florida. After spending my entire adult life living in apartments, I'm finally going to have a garage of my own!

One of the compromises in buying a waterfront home (at least, an affordable waterfront home) is the small lot size. The existing (barely) two car garage is 21' wide and 22' deep. Because of the small lot, there is nowhere to expand but up. The house is one story, so going too tall would be aesthetically unpleasing. I haven't had an opportunity to take measurements but I believe the current ceiling is close to 10'. Ideally, I'd like to have a 12' ceiling downstairs but that might not be feasible from an aesthetic standpoint.

The existing walls are concrete block. I'd like to maximize the new space and believe I have a pretty good idea of what I'd like to build. But I will pay to have a proper plan drawn up by either a licensed architect or a licensed structural engineer. Access to the second floor would be via a staircase in the garage. There will be no bathroom or kitchen.

This link describes what I think would be a very logical solution (scroll down to the illustrations and the accompanying text).

Has anyone here done something similar? I really have no idea what to expect insofar as cost. I can complete the electrical, insulate and hang the Sheetrock on my own but I'll need to hire someone to frame, complete the roof and exterior siding.

Here are some pics. Any feedback is welcome.

TIA.

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 03-02-2010 at 10:59 AM.
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Daniel Dudley

Default Re: Cost to add Second floor above Garage?

Looks to be a very straight forward project.
Daniel Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-24-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
wantedabiggergarage

What are they using for ceiling/second floor, floor joists? They have to be larger for a floor, then just a ceiling. If they weren't set up for that, a head of time, your going to have some more expense then you think.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
little d

tipsy, i like your kind of thinking, this is very doable. i have a coupla sugestions for you to think about. first, why stop at the shop? your there already, why not do the roof over the house at the same time? second, think about the stairs alot!!!!!! they will take out about 400 squair feet of floor space. doesent sound like a lot untill they are there and in the way! if you do just the shop, ya might think about putting them on the outside.
heres what i came up with including the rest of the roof.
little d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
Nostraquedeo

^400 Square feet for stairs? That's a big staircase!
Nostraquedeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
TipsyMcStagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantedabiggergarage View Post
What are they using for ceiling/second floor, floor joists? They have to be larger for a floor, then just a ceiling. If they weren't set up for that, a head of time, your going to have some more expense then you think.
Are you asking about the existing structure? Right now there are engineered trusses above the garage. All of that will need to be torn out. I'm no structural engineer but I envision demolition leaving noting but the concrete block walls. I'm assuming the design for the addition will include engineered I-joists for the new floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little d View Post
tipsy, i like your kind of thinking, this is very doable. i have a coupla sugestions for you to think about. first, why stop at the shop? your there already, why not do the roof over the house at the same time? second, think about the stairs alot!!!!!! they will take out about 400 squair feet of floor space. doesent sound like a lot untill they are there and in the way! if you do just the shop, ya might think about putting them on the outside.
heres what i came up with including the rest of the roof.
As much as I'd like all of that additional space, putting a second floor on the entire house is absolutely out of the question at this time for one simple reason. Cost. This is going to be a second home. I'm not selling my apartment in NYC so I'll have to carry two mortgages. There's no way I can handle that much additional cash expense at this time. I'm hoping to be able to get the structure framed, roofed and sided for under $10k. I really don't know if that's realistic though. There's a chance the slab under the existing structure will have to be reinforced to handle the extra load of the second floor. I'm sure there will be considerable cost to do so if that's necessary.

Insofar as the staircase, the entire existing garage is 21' x 22'. That's 462 sq ft. I realize having the stairs inside the garage will kill some floor space but I don't see how it can take up 400 sq ft! Placement of the stairs will be something I'll discuss in detail with the architect so as to minimize their impact on the space. I don't really want the stairs outside because I can see myself working on projects and needing to run up and down the stairs for tools, etc. and I don't want to have to go outside to do so.

Please keep the comments coming!

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 02-24-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
pistolpete

Send a message via MSN to pistolpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
I don't really want the stairs outside because I can see myself working on projects and needing to run up and down the stairs for tools, etc. and I don't want to have to go outside to do so.
Is the size of the footprint of the house and garage to the set backs of the property? If you have the room to add 5'-6' to this side of the garage, you could always do the stairs here. Saves floor space in the garage, and gives you interior access to the stairs....

Could also add and access door into the underside of the stairs and gain some added storage space. But if you like me it would just get filled with junk and never thought about again.
pistolpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
Sawbladz

That is a much more attractive roof line. Do you have any shots of the current interior of the garage?
Sawbladz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
little d

oops, ment 40 sq. ft., 4 times 10, my bad, lol. i hear ya about the funds thing, if i could just win that damn loto.........
Old 02-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
TipsyMcStagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
Is the size of the footprint of the house and garage to the set backs of the property? If you have the room to add 5'-6' to this side to the garage, you could always do the stairs here. Saves floor space in the garage, and gives you interior access to the stairs....
Unfortunately, yes. These are zero-lot line homes. The left side of the house (as viewed from the street) is essentially up against the property line.

There is space on the right side of the garage but that would place the staircase directly in front of the patio, which is the entrance to the house. I'm sure an architect could come up with something creative but again, I'd prefer to be able to access the space from inside the garage.

Quote:
oops, ment 40 sq. ft., 4 times 10, my bad, lol. i hear ya about the funds thing, if i could just win that damn loto.........
LOL...yeah, 40 Sq ft sounds a bit more reasonable. The house directly next door has the exact same design and layout but is two floors instead of one. The asking price for that home (also a short sale) is $90k more than I'm paying for this house. Overall, it has more than twice the square footage (and a pool) but if I could afford to put a second floor on the house I'm buying, it'd probably make more sense to simply buy the house next door! To be honest, I don't want that much more living space. Too much to furnish and keep clean! I just want more space to keep my tools, fishing gear, motorcycle gear, etc

Tipsy
Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
TipsyMcStagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbladz View Post
That is a much more attractive roof line. Do you have any shots of the current interior of the garage?
I do but the garage is filled with a lot of the sellers stuff in the photos. You can see the steps down into the garage, which is why I believe the garage ceiling is about 10 feet.

Tipsy

Old 02-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #12
little d

tipsy, if your going to keep your dropdown stairs, id say your golden. its the fixed stairs that will kill ya. if ya think about it, with out puttin them outside, your only choices would to be putting them to the left or right of the entry door from the shop to the house.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:10 AM   #13
TipsyMcStagger

Quote:
tipsy, if your going to keep your dropdown stairs, id say your golden. its the fixed stairs that will kill ya. if ya think about it, with out puttin them outside, your only choices would to be putting them to the left or right of the entry door from the shop to the house.
I have been thinking about it and I really don't want to use dropdown stairs. I realize a proper staircase will sacrifice some floorspace but I think it's a necessary evil. I haven't ruled out constructing the stairs on the outside (to the right) if the architect (whom I've yet to find) can come up with an aesthetically pleasing solution to enclose them.

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 02-25-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
twostory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
I'm sure an architect could come up with something creative but again, I'd prefer to be able to access the space from inside the garage. yeah, 40 Sq ft sounds a bit more reasonable.
How about a Spiral Staircase?
twostory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
blkhonda1991

on the staircase issue it really depends on what the usage of the space above is and what your building official interprets it as possibly being used for. if it is a living space or can be interpreted as such i dont think the inspector will allow spiral stairs and certainly not pull down stairs
Old 02-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
TipsyMcStagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhonda1991 View Post
on the staircase issue it really depends on what the usage of the space above is and what your building official interprets it as possibly being used for. if it is a living space or can be interpreted as such i dont think the inspector will allow spiral stairs and certainly not pull down stairs
I'm definitely not considering a drop down. On paper, the space will be designated as storage but I would like to have a workbench or two up there. I doubt the municipality would consider it living space because it will have no plumbing and will not be accessible from inside the house.

I'd really prefer a solution with a proper staircase so I can bring large items up and down the stairs. A spiral staircase is definitively a space saver but it's very difficult to carry anything through the limited opening.

Hopefully I will locate an innovative architect/engineer but off the top of my head, I'm thinking it would work best placed against the back wall starting just at the foot of the entry door into the house and extending along the the back wall to the left (when looking into the garage). I think there is some infrastructure along that wall (water softener?) so that space is already somewhat compromised. Having those items located underneath the stairs seems logical.

Tipsy
Old 02-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
DavidTK

Have you confirmed that you're allowed to build a 2 story garage? You may want to check the Home Owner's Association rules (if there is one) or deed restrictions. A friend of mine was going to build a 2 story garage next to his one story house, and the HOA said that a garage can't be taller than the house.
DavidTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #18
TipsyMcStagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTK View Post
Have you confirmed that you're allowed to build a 2 story garage? You may want to check the Home Owner's Association rules (if there is one) or deed restrictions. A friend of mine was going to build a 2 story garage next to his one story house, and the HOA said that a garage can't be taller than the house.
I'm looking into it but from what I've read so far, though the HOA will have to approve the plan, they have no specific restrictions precluding what I'd like to do.

Tipsy
Old 02-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #19
twostory

Here is another way to do a very steep stairs. You alternate steps, so you can reduce the run of the tread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg taf_stairs01.thumbnail.jpg (15.6 KB, 147 views)
twostory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #20
bhowden

Quote:
Originally Posted by twostory View Post
Here is another way to do a very steep stairs. You alternate steps, so you can reduce the run of the tread.
Wow! That is the first time I have seen that one. I would assume it violates a lot of codes for primary egress but I bet the inspector would have to search for what rule it breaks! If you calculate the area taken up by a spiral staircase you will find that it doesn't save very much and it is much harder to navigate. When we did our house we squeezed out every last square inch and stairs were one of the bigger problems.

Brian
bhowden is offline   Reply With Quote