Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
widerberg

Default Pics of crushed stone parking pads?

Hi, All:

Strange request . . . could those with crushed stone/rock parking pads, or sheds/barns with crushed stone floors post pics?

With quotes I've been getting (west central Florida), I'm really leaning towards crushed stone for my parking pad (which eventually will have a lean to built over top of it) rather than concrete. The quotes for concrete are twice that of crushed stone, and money is tight.

I'm just not sure quite what crushed stone will look like.

Many thanks!

Bo

Wanted: '40s-'50s USA-made floor jack in Florida (because I'm poor/cheap on shipping)
widerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
Nighttrain

Default Re: Pics of crushed stone parking pads?

Widerberg- I will post a picture for you tomorrow when I have my camera. I have a 15'x60' area under my lean-to which I filled with crushed granite. I had the parameter curbed in concrete. It’s about 6” of this gravel. It works very well and is a future base for when I can afford to pour a slab on top of it. Only problem so far which isn’t too bad is the compaction of the gravel. I only used my small tractor to level it than drove my truck back and forth on it to compact it. With the weight of my 5th wheeler (14K #) the tires and landing gear sink pretty deep into the gravel. I would recommend for a more finished job, would be to rent a small roller compactor. Also maybe go with a larger gravel base and then finish with a smaller aggregate and water and roll that to a smoother finish.
Nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Grizz1963

Try Google Images.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/n...ote=1&p=797226

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...26tbs%3Disch:1

Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
widerberg

Thanks, guys. Nighttrain, I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. Grizz, I like that. I'd found some driveway-type pictures, too, but that particular one looks really good. I guess I was hoping someone out there had a lean to or shed with a crushed stone floor to reassure me :-) I sure like the price of crushed stone in my area, but don't recall ever seeing it used for anything but a driveway.

Wanted: '40s-'50s USA-made floor jack in Florida (because I'm poor/cheap on shipping)
Old 02-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
widerberg

Doh! And as soon as I say I haven't found anything, I take your advice on Google Images and fine what I was looking for. I searched 'gravel parking pad' rather than 'crushed stone parking pad' and that did it.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0006_large.jpg

Old 02-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #6
Grizz1963

Glad you got what you wanted.

I often forget the search function on sites and begin new threads, and GOOGLE really is my friend

Sure there are loads more images out there if you try various word search combos.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
uniongoon

My crushed stone driveway is over 300 feet long

Old 02-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
BioHazard
Banned

If they're only charging half as much for gravel as they are for concrete, you're either getting raped on the gravel or an amazing deal on the concrete. Locally crushed gravel is $11/yard + $30 per dump truck for delivery. Concrete is well over $100/yard + delivery. Gravel finishing consists of a single man with a compactor, instead of an entire crew of concrete finishers...
BioHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
widerberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioHazard View Post
If they're only charging half as much for gravel as they are for concrete, you're either getting raped on the gravel or an amazing deal on the concrete. Locally crushed gravel is $11/yard + $30 per dump truck for delivery. Concrete is well over $100/yard + delivery. Gravel finishing consists of a single man with a compactor, instead of an entire crew of concrete finishers...
Hi, BioHazard:

My quote for 6 yards of 3/4" crushed stone, delivered, was $350 ($50/yard plus $50 delivery). The quote for concrete site-prepped, forms, delivered, finished, yada yada, was $600. Not sure which is a good deal and which is a bad one in west central Florida, but I know right now I can't afford the $600 after paying for the new project car So, $350 sounds like the better deal at the moment.

But, I'm still not totally loving the idea of stone because of moisture issues, even though I'll be doubling up on the polyethylene moisture barrier. So . . . the stone may serve as a base for a concrete pad in a year or two. My first priority after the parking pad, though, will be to get a lean to roof over it, to keep the rain off. Luckily, I've got a 12x20 shed a few feet to the south of the pad, and an 8ft privacy fence to the north and west, so the area is pretty protected from the elements.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
widerberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
My crushed stone driveway is over 300 feet long
Wow, Uniongoon, that's nice. Very well compacted. I'm going to have to check out the smaller grades of crushed stone. They seem to compact much nicer.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
uniongoon

Trick is to mix up the size of gravel, example which I did, B gravel base which is 3/4 stone with lots of sand, then a load of 3/4 gravel and topped with the limestone screening stone. The assorted stone aparently weaves together and makes for a better, adhesive pack. What I was told by the quarry guys, not that I am an expert.
Good luck and have fun, I really enjoyed this work.