Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
kartracer55

Default Neiko Tools "USA"

Heres another thing that gripes my ass...

Im in the market for a set of metric wrenches in larger sizes... IE maybe Starting around 13mm instead of 8mm... I must have 10 8mm wrenches to my name. Well Im eyeing up the craftsman pro (or posibly the matco long patterns depending on what the truck can get them to me for) so I did a quick search on ebay to see if anybody had any deals. Well...

Look at this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Pc-Neiko-Soft-...QQcmdZViewItem

They are branded by Neiko Tools USA... Is that legal? They Say USA right on them like most of thier other products, but Im willing to bet quite a bit that they arnt made here in the US. In fact, IIRC I remember seeing Made in China on the big roll these HF type tool tents had at the sway meet.

Is this legal? Or are they actually made here? There are tons of thiese Neiko USA items floating around on ebay

Jim

http://www.frappr.com/garagejunkies
kartracer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
SPECV

Default Re: Neiko Tools "USA"

I am assuming that if thats that name of the company they can do it.
SPECV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
dink

Send a message via Skype™ to dink

Hahahaa maybe USA, China pronounced OOOSSSAAA
dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
chevy302dz

Probably not legal, and probably will not be around very long (with the USA in their name anyway)
chevy302dz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:20 AM   #5
wantedabiggergarage

Neiko has been around at least 5 years now. A local autoparts store, stocked and sold them for a while. It wasn't untill someone tried to turn something in under the warranty that they had problems. Don't see a website or mailling address readily available on the net. And yes it's foreign stuff. (although the stuff I looked at, is better quality then HF)

We nicknamed them NikeMyDough.
wantedabiggergarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:51 AM   #6
wilbilt
Banned

As long as they have a "division" named "Neiko Tools USA", they can probably get away with it.

Of course, it could be just a storefront mailing address or somebody's barn.

I think the problem would be if they actually said "Made in USA" on them.

It's all about making a huge profit while exploiting cheap Asian slave labor (and the tool-buying public).
wilbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:20 AM   #7
mike944

I don't think it's illegal. Is it deceitfull? Yes, is it misleading? Yes, is it sleazy, Yes, but not illegal. As long as they're not falsely saying "made in the USA" then it's not illegal, but they're implying "Made in the USA" with the brand name, and i'm sure that was completely intentional

It's done everywhere. You really have to watch out. Take a look in Home Depot, there's a brand of lights called "American Flourescent" Their logo even has stars and stripes in it. I'll give you one guess where the products are actually made......and it begins with a C. But, it does say that right on the box (although it's in very small print)

'92 Porsche 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
mike944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #8
MXtras

In case you haven't noticed, Asian manufacturers really could care less about laws, patents or ethics. It's cut-throat. Our government should become involved, but ultimately it is us - the consumer - that could make the largest statement by choosing not to purchase items from such companies.

Scott
MXtras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:19 PM   #9
Hawk231

Tell me about it!!! We recently found a website of a Chinese company that is copying one of our products. They list our company name on their web page and say that their product is a direct replacement for ours.
Hawk231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #10
l_bilyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike944
I'll give you one guess where the products are actually made......and it begins with a C.

CANADA????
l_bilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:40 AM   #11
wilbilt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk231
Tell me about it!!! We recently found a website of a Chinese company that is copying one of our products. They list our company name on their web page and say that their product is a direct replacement for ours.
Yes, that sucks. I have seen instances where not only the product was copied, but the instruction manual as well.

It has to be upsetting to design, develop and market a product, only to have it ripped off and show up for sale at HF for half the price. Then finding out that their instruction manual is a direct photocopy of your own.....there should be a law against that....

Of course, when they write their own manuals in Chinglish, they are completely incomprehensible.
wilbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:54 AM   #12
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:
Oh man, that's awful! Do you have any recourse? I've heard that it is difficult to persue the Asian companies legally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:11 AM   #13
OldCarGuy

Quote:
I feel your pain!!

It’s sad but true, Chinese companies are great at copying products and so many have no integrity. To my knowledge the laws are weak or nonexistent in China to prevent such practices or pursue them.

One of the OEM’s of where I worked decided to tool up one of their biggest selling products in China to save a buck. A year later that Chinese subcontractor marketed the identical product through an American distributor. Not only did they save on engineering they produced a lookalike down to the manual, it turned out that the Chinese were using the same tooling (worth $$$$) that the OEM paid them for! Needless to say they pulled their tooling and found another Chinese subcontractor.

There was some poetic justice in the world! Seeing that we had to downsize because we last the contract… The sad part about all of this is that the product cost the consumer the same today as when we manufactured it in the USA.
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:16 PM   #14
Hawk231

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschoendorff
Oh man, that's awful! Do you have any recourse? I've heard that it is difficult to persue the Asian companies legally...
Nothing reasonably cost effective or enforceable.
Hawk231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:51 PM   #15
TENMMIKE

IV BEEN HUNTING THESE GUYS DOWN...(NEIKO) i have found the actual maker of at least the NEIKO tachs also known as NICETY among other names . i was looking at the laser tach and wanted more info and started my jurnrny hunting for them the real company and factory is
Zhejiang Kangle Group.
owned buy the chinese govt. and have several accociated other companies they disperse product through with many different names ......damn it took a while to hunt them SOB down.
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroo...KL-6234C-.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer55 View Post
Heres another thing that gripes my ass...

Im in the market for a set of metric wrenches in larger sizes... IE maybe Starting around 13mm instead of 8mm... I must have 10 8mm wrenches to my name. Well Im eyeing up the craftsman pro (or posibly the matco long patterns depending on what the truck can get them to me for) so I did a quick search on ebay to see if anybody had any deals. Well...

Look at this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Pc-Neiko-Soft-...QQcmdZViewItem

They are branded by Neiko Tools USA... Is that legal? They Say USA right on them like most of thier other products, but Im willing to bet quite a bit that they arnt made here in the US. In fact, IIRC I remember seeing Made in China on the big roll these HF type tool tents had at the sway meet.

Is this legal? Or are they actually made here? There are tons of thiese Neiko USA items floating around on ebay

Jim

Last edited by TENMMIKE; 11-23-2007 at 11:55 PM.
TENMMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:57 PM   #16
Danglerb

I have one neiko tool, and its a lifetimes worth, never buying another one. Looks ok, feels like junk.
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:03 AM   #17
MarkH

"Canada"

If they were I would buy them. They would be a more usable quality and could be called Neiko North American without shame.

As for the rest it should be two things. One is the part of looking for the made at. I do this in the manner that is very easy to notice and make sure I frown or growl before returning items. We need more of it.

Second, direct rip-offs are illegal and stopped at most other countries borders, we need to follow this trend and no it is not anti whatever someone will call it, it is just following the crowd. We would be doing the same thing the worst offenders here do!!!!!

The fact you see so much garbage trying to look USA, Canadien, German, Japanese, or British means the marketers know that made in these countries is a desirable attribute. It is just this attribute needs to be protected so it is not cheapened.
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #18
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

hey , every company in red china is owned by the government , we are under attack , but hey if it saves money .......
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #19
TENMMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
hey , every company in red china is owned by the government , .......
thats not true just google private companies in china and youll see ....btw im in no way or form in sympathy with the PRC ..AKA commie bastards..(is minor cussing allowed here?)
TENMMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:45 PM   #20
kartracer55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENMMIKE View Post
thats not true just google private companies in china and youll see ....btw im in no way or form in sympathy with the PRC ..AKA commie bastards..(is minor cussing allowed here?)

Haha yup go ahead. We all pretty much share mutual feelings.

http://www.frappr.com/garagejunkies
kartracer55 is offline   Reply With Quote