Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2005, 06:19 AM   #1
keperkey

Default Double Decker Garage

Ultgar,

If you are still around, what are your thoughts of a double deck garage (entry on main level, and entry below at basement level)? What must to be done for the main level to support the weight of the cars?

Thanks
keperkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:26 AM   #2
danski0224

It can be done easily with Span Crete. Span Crete is a brand of precast concrete panels, DynaCore is another. Depending on the strength needed, the panel depth changes and prestressed cable is placed in the form. There are hollows that run through the length of the panel, or you can have it insulated with foam.

The bottom of the panels are smooth, and the top will need a coating of "grout"- a pumpable cement. The panels are set in place with a crane.

Span length and load will dictate panel construction. It may be possible to eliminate any supports in the center.

Openings and steel framing for things like stairs can be engineered in.

It is very strong, many multi-story condos are built with this construction, so are parking garages. A five story condo complex I worked on had an unsupported (center) span of about 50 feet, the panels were 12 inches thick and 4 feet wide.

It should be cheaper than conventional formed in place construction.

For the square footage they occupy, cars do not weigh much. A pile of boxes filled with papers occupying the same space as a car would weigh much more. Make sure the engineer (and you) know the intended use of the space.

Consult an engineer/architect to run a cost analysis.
danski0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-21-2005, 10:01 AM   #3
ultgar

Danski is right.....steel, precast/pre-stressed concrete, a competent engineer and installation crew and a healthy checkbook is all you need. I will be working on one of these project shortly (residential) and should have some pictures along the way. SD
ultgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:28 AM   #4
armoredsaintt
Garageaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultgar
Danski is right.....steel, precast/pre-stressed concrete, a competent engineer and installation crew and a healthy checkbook is all you need. I will be working on one of these project shortly (residential) and should have some pictures along the way. SD

everytime I see your garage/showroom I start to drool and get that warm and fizzy feeling I'm still working on mine
armoredsaintt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:10 PM   #5
sca037

We looked into this as well, but the desire to have a lift in the future meant that the weight of 2 cars (in storage mode ;-) plus the lift itself would present quite a load footprint.

Brian
sca037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:35 PM   #6
keperkey

Thanks for the information. I look forward to seeing the pictures once you do this Ultgar. I would also like some idea of cost if possible.

We are lot shopping now and I am trying to figure out how to achieve all of my garage goals in keeping with the lot restrictions, building requirements, etc and this idea came to mind.

The top part would be for parking daily drivers. The "basement" would be storage. My dream plan is to use a porte co concept where I have a single garage separated from the house by the porte co which would be for the shop. We'll see.
keperkey is offline   Reply With Quote