Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
willbrown82

Default Putting Concrete Floor in Crawl Space

I'm wanting to put a concrete floor in a portion of my crawl space. I've already cut out a bigger opening and put in a door. I've also started digging out the dirt floor in order to give me more head room and a level floor. Here is a picture of how it looked before I started digging.

As I've started digging down I've run into a few issues. The first is that I'm getting standing water when it rains. Should I look at adding a sump pump in? Also the block columns supporting the floor do not go down as low as the footings do. Can I put up a block wall or pour a concrete wall along side the columns before pouring the floor? Also what tips would you give as far as a base before pouring the concrete. Please excuse the mess. Any other suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Will Brown
willbrown82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Kev442

Default Re: Putting Concrete Floor in Crawl Space

When I dug down, I went all the way to 7' deep. I left 18" of undisturbed dirt from the footings and built a cinder block wall. I installed a sump pump without installing drain tile. Where the center support was, I removed the block and put in a standard metal support. A solid concrete block under the area where it is under the concrete is all I did.
Was it a perfect job? No. However, I will argue that getting the moisture level down and getting a sump pump and furnace down there is why that house is still standing 20 years later. I had to replace several floor joists that were rotting out due to a damp crawl space. No more pipes freezing in the winter either. Good luck, you're getting there!
Kev442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Kevin54

With as damp as the dirt is and as close as you dug to the footers and piers, you want to keep a close eye on things not caving in and either cracking your footing or your piers shifting.
You'll need a sump pit & sump pump if you are getting standing water. Then you should have a good bed of gravel down before any concrete is poured.
You could tile around the base of the foundation on the inside and tie this tile into the sump pit. That way any water coming in at the base will weep into the tile, go to the pit and out. You'll also want a vapor barrier down underneath the concrete.

Good luck. Looks like you have a lot of it whipped but still have a ways to go. Keep us posted with pics.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
willymakeit

Install a perimeter drain to the sump pump. 3 to 4 in. of crushed rock with a vapor barrier then the floor. Can you dig on one side of the support inline with it,install a new support and finish the wall? If you do put a thickened edge on your slab to act as a footing.
willymakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

You maybe able to use a set of basement floor jacks to replace the concrete blocks.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
banzaitoyota

Go to Building Science Dot Com and read about conditioned crawl spaces
banzaitoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
Hades12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTTSGT View Post
You maybe able to use a set of basement floor jacks to replace the concrete blocks.

This is what I would do.

dig down to your final level by the pillers pour a footer and put in steel posts to hold the beam.
Hades12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
willbrown82

Time for an update on my crawl space. Last month I rented a small trackhoe to finish excavating the floor. My dad came up and helped. That was a long day. This month I've been working on digging a trench, setting forms, and pouring a footing for a block wall so I can put in drainage to control my water issues.
Before

It barely fit through my gate and door

My dad brought his small tiller to help loosen up the dirt.

Had to buy some new lights as my old T12s quit working

Footing dug, form and rebar set ready for concrete. Mixer was a craigslist deal, was still new in the box.

Concrete poured today

I hope to get to the block wall the first part of July. Does anyone know how long I need to wait before I can remove the forms?
willbrown82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
willymakeit

You can remove forms the next day. I assume your going to epoxy dowel your uprights for the block wall?
willymakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
Art From De Leon

Looks like a remake of "The Great Escape".
Art From De Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
djjsr

Just curious, have you had a building inspector check what you're doing?