Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
wythors
Red Foreman is my idol.

Default Pittsburgh tools?

I fairly regularly buy miscellaneous crap from Harbor Freight so, of course, I seem to get a catalog from them every other day or so. Has anybody bought any of their Pittsburgh stuff? I'm just curious if their quality is equivalent to their prices, or are they a good buy?

Thanks,

Dave
Original GarageJunkies.net member #329
wythors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:11 PM   #2
chevy302dz

Pittsburgh tools from Harbor Frieght are low end tools for the most part. If you're looking for cheap hand tools Stanley is a good choice.
chevy302dz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-24-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

The Pittsburgh that I've used *so far* have held up okay. No real complaints. I think that the Pittsburgh stuff is about as good as anything coming out of China as far as hand tools go. If you can find Pittsburgh stuff that's made in Taiwan (impact sockets, socket adapters etc), that's generally a little bit better stuff. I have some of that stuff and it has worked out pretty good.
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:03 AM   #4
Weekend_warrior

I bought some mm allen head sockets for working on my bike. The tolerances were not that tight and it ended up damaging the puge that I was taking out (access plug for the crank so you can put the engine at TDC) Its pretty soft metal so I'm not sure that it would all the tool, but I could put my craftsman allen set in (stick kind with the ball on the end) and you could not wiggle it, but the with Pittsburg stuff you could. I didn't notice it until it was to late. Not bad though as I didn't totally trash the peice, but I don't use those to much. I orginally bought them for getting a rotor off the hub as I needed to use them with a breaker bar. Kind of messed that bolt up a bike, but I figured it was because they red loctited in (heat was used as well).
Weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
ratdoggy

Default Re: Pittsburgh tools?

Not even good for the kitchen drawer
ratdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
arkangel06
Banned

Send a message via MSN to arkangel06

arkangel06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
superautobacs

x5

+10 characters.... oh, that's a rad car in your avatar, ratdoggy.
superautobacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Danglerb

If you can't look at a hand tool and know if its junk, HF is not for you. Some of their products are junk, some are fine, some aren't worth finding out.

Personally I would not use a Hex key that wasn't a tight fit, but that's mainly due to me rarely knowing what size to use.
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
Harold Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wythors View Post
I fairly regularly buy miscellaneous crap from Harbor Freight so, of course, I seem to get a catalog from them every other day or so. Has anybody bought any of their Pittsburgh stuff? I'm just curious if their quality is equivalent to their prices, or are they a good buy?

Thanks,

Dave
Pittsburgh Tools get a bad rap. I'm an Automotive Technology student at the University of Arkansas. To get though the courses to receive my degree, I had to have tools. I didn't have the money to run out and buy Snap on or any other name brands. I went Harbor Freight and got what I needed. We work in the shop as much as any full time auto tech would, and I was stunned on how well they preformed! The wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, hammers are just as good as Craftsmen. I would push it and say the sockets are better than craftsman; I have not EVER busted one. I have seen Craftsman bust on meany occasions in the shop. To be truthful, a lot of Harbor Freight stuff is junk. You just need to look before you buy, you'll know if it is shit or not. Their Earthquake air tools are very, very good. Harbor Freight ratchets suck, they strip very easy. So with that said, buy good ratchets i.e. Gearwrench or better. I plan to use the tools I have when I open my own shop. Hey, why go out and buy high dollar Snap on tools, when Pittsburgh tools will do the job at a fraction of the price. I want to put money in my pocket, not give it to the Snap on man. I had some people I go to school with flat out tell me they would not buy Pittsburgh tools because they are junk, then run over to NAPA and buy a shit load of Evercraft tools. Evercraft and Pittsburgh tools are made by the same company, only Evercraft is higher because it is a NAPA product. Its your money, spend it as you wish.
Harold Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
ex-x-fire

Get the Pittsburgh Pro line of tools first.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
thebeekeeper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
Get the Pittsburgh Pro line of tools first.
I've not seen any of the P "Pro" line that wasn't at least adequate. The PP sockets are HIGHLY regarded--even here. You just can't beat the cost-to-value rate on them.
thebeekeeper1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #12
sparky7

lol another old thread resurrected twice now!!! it must be the simple title

Pittsburgh PRO wrenches IMO are better than the garbage wrenches that come in the large plastic craftsman cases

The sockets, ratchets, other stuff, not so much
sparky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #13
Westly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Smith View Post
I went Harbor Freight and got what I needed. We work in the shop as much as any full time auto tech would, and I was stunned on how well they preformed! ... Harbor Freight ratchets suck, they strip very easy.
There's a HF Composite ratchet people here are prefering over their Snap-on ratchets. A cult ratchet

I've found that these days almost any tool is good enough. The other day I had an extension split on me but it was $1 new and looked stupidly rough and no name. Looked like and tore like zinc.
Westly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #14
cheechi

another old thread with an easily searchable title resurrected by a first poster with a lot of easily searchable phrases.

Not so sure about this one.
I'm left handed so there are a lot of things that just don't seem right to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDDiESEL View Post
Folks at trident take damn good care of customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwrench View Post
Most of you will never be happy with a tool line produced in Taiwan regardless of how good it is.
cheechi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #15
nicksnothereman

Not a fan of the regular pittsburgh t handle hex (handles aren't solid), don't use them though I just use my other crap ones (husky). Those are actually good got a deal on those on holiday tools.

I use a decent amount of the harbor freight stuff (not necessarily hand tools though) and they tend to be good enough for occasional use. The pittsburgh pro stuff is consistently good though.
nicksnothereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:54 PM   #16
Givl Reggin

Don't you just like how they take the name of a city know for quality steel production and use it to brand their cheap china junk.
Givl Reggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:16 AM   #17
healing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givl Reggin View Post
Don't you just like how they take the name of a city know for quality steel production and use it to brand their cheap china junk.
Chicago electric, US General I am surprised they have kept the name china freight oops I mean harbor freight.
healing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:41 AM   #18
oldtools

Quote:
Because Harbor Freight is an American company so it selected US cities for its brands.
oldtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:47 AM   #19
DekeT

Quote:
Who is "they"?
DekeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #20
NWphotog

Quote:
Huh, I thought Pittsburg was known for being a cesspool!
NWphotog is offline   Reply With Quote