Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
icefisherman

Default sherwin williams macropoxy 646?

Has anyone tried it? I went to sherwin williams today and the guy told me he has done 4 garages with it and had good luck. One of the guys drives a bobcat into his garage daily and no problems at all. He just stressed prep is the key thing. They sell it for about $150 a kit ( 1gallon part a 1 gallon part b) but I work for a commercial painting contractor and can get it for $90 a kit. I think I might try it soon. It looks like its 85% solids at 5-10 mils thick.
Any opinions? Thanks!
icefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
Imwalkin

Default Re: sherwin williams macropoxy 646?

Iam pretty sure that is what I used in my garage. I really like it it has help up to alot of abuse. It looks like hell now due to the ruff life its had(7yrs). I plan on recoating very soon.
Imwalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
TheBanker

I would just see what I could get with 100% solids first.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
JDM5LugHatch

I just finished the second coat of Macropoxy 646 last night. I could have gotten away with one coat but I didn't know if I had enough after starting and put it on rather thin to say the least. Last night I put the second coat on pretty thick and bang for the buck it seems like the way to go. I was going to use the ArmorSeal 1000HS but my local SW doesn't carry it due to a limited shelf life. Besides Macropoxy 646 is about half the price and should hold up just fine for the standard homeowner whom works on cars from time to time. The guys at SW said they sell a lot of the Macropoxy to chemical plants and water treatment/sewer facilities due to it's chemical resistant properties. So IMO if it's good enough for a commercial environment it's good enough for me.
JDM5LugHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
icefisherman

jdm5lughatch- did u put any flakes or sand in it? How did you prep your floor?(muratic acid or grind) Do you have any pics? I am going to be using that product in the next couple of weeks. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #6
JDM5LugHatch

I used clean & etch from Lowes. I repeated the process 3 times. I had planned on doing it in November because we were having unseasonably warm weather and then all of a sudden it changed over night and there wasn't a day above 50. So when I started parking the car in the garage it got dirty again and I figured it couldn't hurt to do the whole process 1 more time.

I did not put any flakes or sand in it. While I love the way epoxied floors look with the flakes and I had contemplated them, I prefer it without. I want to be able to find the screw that I just dropped with no problems and I feel the flakes make that a more difficult task at times. My floor is somewhat rough in a couple spots due to the roller leaving it's material behind. I didn't have that problem with the first coat using the 3 pack of rollers from Walmart (and I have used them a lot in the past with no problems) but the Wooster ones I picked up from Lowes are horrible (this is my second experience with them and both times I have had this problem).

Just remember to let it sweat in for 30min. prior to applying and it should go smoothly. You may also want to use a 1/2" nap instead of a 3/8" unless you want a perfectly smooth floor and multiple coats. My first coat was with the 3/8" nap and it soaked in pretty good and I had more product leftover. The second coat applied the next day was with the 1/2" nap and it has more of an orange peel effect than the first coat also due to me putting it on a lot thicker. The orange peel effect doesn't bother me though and I kind of like it not to mention that some of the nap that came off while rolling that second coat acted like an anti-skid of sorts.

One of the nice things about the SW Macropoxy is that you can get it tinted any color you want. I will have to say what ever color you like and decide on is more than likely going to end up a shade lighter once you mix in part B. So with the first coat I chose Krypton and it looked blue than gray on the floor. The second coat I had mixed up one shade darker Jubilee and it came out somewhat in the middle of both. I contemplated doing a lime green but refrained from it on the floor and decided it to save it for the walls.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #7
JDM5LugHatch

Here are some pics......

Old 04-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
icefisherman

jdm5lughatch- thanks for the pics! Floor looks nice! I like that orange peel look, I think i will use a 1/2 nap also. Hopefully gonna acid etch it this weekend.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
JDM5LugHatch

No problem. Good luck. I was able to put the first coat on the next day after etching. Etched in the morning let it dry and then late that night put down 2 test patches to check for moisture. Everything was good to go in the morning so that's when I put down the first coat.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
tstang90

very nice would love to hear how it holds up.
tstang90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #11
hook982

Gawd that's ugly...
Old 04-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #12
TheBanker

whats the total cost to do the entire floor?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:07 AM   #13
JDM5LugHatch

it's about $95 for both part A & B (1 gallon each). I could have gotten away with doing 1 thicker coat but I did 2 coats. So I probably have $250-300 into the floor with all the prepping, tools etc..
Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #14
gabeancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook982 View Post
Gawd that's ugly...
Go look at Banker's floor!

Just messing with ya banker.
gabeancounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
JDM5LugHatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook982 View Post
Gawd that's ugly...
To each their own.