Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
BioHazard
Banned

Default Galvanized pipe on a wood stove?

Please help me settle an arguement here. Somebody tell my dumbass friend that 6" galvanized pipe (ductwork, single wall) is NOT meant for a wood stove!

He will be using single wall pipe either way, but I'm pretty sure there's a reason stove pipe comes painted BLACK. As I understand it the fumes from heated zinc are poisonous, and have always been warned never to weld on galvanized metal for this reason. I don't know the exact temperature, but I would assume that wood stove pipe gets pretty damn hot. Probably just fine for your efficient water heater (his arguement) but a wood stove is a different animal.

Am I wrong?
BioHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
RAYJAY

Default Re: Galvanized pipe on a wood stove?

I have Galvanized. pipe on my stoker for the last 7 years with no problems

the black pipe will rust out really fast

Jeff
Thank You Snap On, I now know how it feels to be toilet paper
Quote:
People complain that "Craftsman warranty depends on who you talk to at the store"....

"SNAP-ON warranty depends on your dealer - at 10x the cost."
RAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
walrus

This has been discussed many times on here. I've used galvanized on wood stoves before. I'm sure there are some fumes that come off it the first time it gets hot, after that I'm not so sure. I'm pretty sure the black pipe is used for looks and their are fumes that come off that the first time it gets hot also.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
burleymike

Most common air duct pipe is 26ga while stove pipe starts at 24ga some is 22. 26ga is too light for a stove. In a chimney fire it can burn through not to mention the life will be shorter, stove pipe rusts from the inside out. When you have a hot fire the flu temps will be high enough that the zinc near the stove will burn off. Once it has burned off it is no longer harmful to anybody. Those zinc fumes can give you metal fume fever. From what I know of it, it is very miserable but not permanent.

The best stove pipe has locking ends that fit very snugly together so if you have a chimney fire and close the dampers on the stove you can keep more air out of the chimney to help starve the fire. Tight fitting pipe also reduces smoke leakage from down drafts etc.
burleymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
tncatadjuster

I went to a local semi-truck supply and used exhaust pipe, that was about 6 years ago.
tncatadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
WVBrady

I don't have any first hand experience, but I found this in a search:

"The Sweep I apprenticed with taught me that, while galvanized pipe was OK for gas exhaust, it could not be used for woodstove connector pipe, which gets much hotter. I passed that warning on to all my trainees over the years, so the discovery of galvanized pipe on the woodstove was a red flag for our Sweep."

http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php...ove_pipe_-_NO/
WVBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

I have galvanized on mine, from the wood stove to where it goes out the block wall into the chimney. I have never had a problem with it. I bought mine from somebody that does commercial work, it is a heavy guage, probably heavier than the readily available black pipe.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
BioHazard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burleymike View Post
Most common air duct pipe is 26ga while stove pipe starts at 24ga some is 22. 26ga is too light for a stove.
That will definately be part of his problem...I know it's DUCT WORK, not EXHAUST PIPE...because he bought it at Home Depot, and they don't sell ANYTHING for wood stoves/fireplaces.

It's not going in his living room, but still, we're going to have to have a talk...
Old 04-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
nate379
Banned

You sure? They sell all sorts of wood stove stuff at the Lowe's and Home Deports around this neck of the woods. I think they sell stoves even.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 AM   #10
BioHazard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
You sure? They sell all sorts of wood stove stuff at the Lowe's and Home Deports around this neck of the woods. I think they sell stoves even.
Nope, not around here. I believe the codes for installing a new stove are very unfriendly and expensive. I had to go to a small hardware store out in the country to even find 6" single wall black pipe!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Mattlt

Ask your insurance agent. If the stove causes a fire, and they see something they don't like... Guess what? They won't pay.
Mattlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
Jim51

I used to weld galvanized material all the time. First indication your head is a little too close the the fumes is a sweet metallic taste in your mouth. Prolonged exposure can do some serious damage. There are a couple of reasons why it should never be used around a wood stove and toxicity is only one of them. The zinc will burn off the inside of the pipes long before the outside even starts to discolour. Wood smoke and cresote are fairly corrosive and will eat out your pipes from the inside. Throw a chimney fire into the equation and you have a very serious problem. Flue pressures and temperatures will literally blow your pipes apart and burn your house down. One more reason to always add a few screws to hold your black stove pipe sections together.

Last edited by Jim51; 09-29-2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: missed an "a" last sentence
Jim51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:53 AM   #13
nate379
Banned

Never mind that he is using galvanized pipe, but why is he using single wall pipe even? That isn't allowed per code around here and they are quite lax with codes, so I can only imagine it would apply to 99 of 100 locations.

I suppose in a shop not the end of the world on single wall, but better be careful about touching it.

Many years ago I was working in my Dad's shop and kept smelling burning wood. Well after a few hours I found out what it was. Someone (I think my Dad... but he claimed it was us) had leaned a shovel between the chimney and stove and the handle was against the stove pipe.

Last edited by nate379; 09-29-2010 at 12:56 AM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:23 AM   #14
jklingel

The white smoke you see when you heat galvanized steel too hot is full of zinc oxide. As mentioned, it can get you sick, to the point of death. Other than that, it ain't too bad. I'm sure it works as a stove pipe as long as the stove is not too hot, but what if? When I have to weld on galvanized, it is outside, with a big fan on it, and I only weld as long as I can hold my breath. Never had zinc oxide poisoning, so I don't know what it feels like. The thought of pre-mature death does not rest well w/ me, though. I'd rather get eaten by a grizzly I wounded and am running down. Choices.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote