Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
krehmkej

Default Westward Tools?

Just watching "How Its Made". They visited the Kenworth Factory (Canada?). Anyhow, all the hand tools I could see were marked "Westward".

I've never seen a Westward tool truck nor any tool of that brand in any industrial supply house.

Wonder who makes them? Danaher, I suppose..
Old 04-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
mrb

Default Re: Westward Tools?

its a grainger house brand. i have some westward screwdrivers, made in china or taiwan
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #3
Even 11

I have some Westward tools, They look like asian made S-K lookalikes on the couple wrenches I have. They seem to be pretty good quality though.

-Dane
Even 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Merkava_4
Banned

Thanks for the info - I'll be crossing Kenworth off my shopping list.
Merkava_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
tatra

use them at work exclusivly as acklands is our main supplier.........ok for what they pay but never, never, never, never, trust their impact swivels.........have been injured by 2 , one used less than than 2 mins outta the package.........numerous instances by other guys too having them fly apart..........one thing , i never feel bad about using a 5 lb maul on them, whether i need to or not..............
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
sk farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
Thanks for the info - I'll be crossing Kenworth off my shopping list.
like you were going to buy one anyway. for the record i have an 89 t-800 and it has been a great truck.

I have seen first hand so called mechanics using said ratchet as a hammer. These are the same people who are waiting for the (insert tool maker here) for a warranty claim, because they were too stupid & lazy to get up and retrieve a hammer or what ever impact tool they required for said job . . .
sk farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Hiball

I recently picked up a westward 1/4 ratchet that was included in some wright eBay finds. It looks just like a snap on ratchet from the exterior. I'm sure it's a import be because it has no coo stampings. I will say it has some heft to it, it's a fine tooth action and a decent chrome finish but Ive never used it personally nor heard of the brand previously.

Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247

BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
superautobacs

I have a Westward catalogue and I believe all of their hand tools are imported from Taiwan/China.

The tools are exclusively made to ship West Ward
superautobacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
highland512

I'm about 90% sure that it was filmed at the Chillicothe Ohio plant. we went there last spring and watched them build our truck. Most of the employees seemed to have a little mix of many tool brands in box's and tool bags. I saw very few hand driven tools, almost everything they used was air driven.

We have had 6 different Kenworth trucks over the past few years and not ONE single problem with the trucks, just the dealership service. They told us the trucks where hand made and I never believed it until I watched them build one! The only thing not done buy human workers was painting the exterior of the sleeper, cab, and hood. Everything was riveted, sown or bolted by real people.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
matthew

Since Westward is distributed by Grainger, but sourced elsewhere, I would expect there's a number of different vendors they buy from. I've seen at least one socket set that sure looked like a rebadged Blue Point set.
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
Builder302

It was filmed at the St. Therese Plant in Quebec, they make class 5, 6, and 7 Kenworth and Peterbilt trucks. PACCAR owns both companies. I worked at a Peterbilt plant in TN for about 5 years. Tools were generally purchased by the local manufacturing engineers, typically we had SO, Armstrong, Cornwell, and Wright. We had no westward tools. Air tools were IR or Atlas Copco. We used a ton of cordless impacts, both torque controlled and non. We started with Hitachi (did not last), tried SO, IR, Milwaukee, Dewalt, and found Makita to last the best in 16 hour a day, this isn't my personal tool type treatment. Bosch made the best cordless torque controlled tools.
Builder302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
arkangel06
Banned

Send a message via MSN to arkangel06

Westward tools have to be the cheapst sh!t I have even seen.

I would never own any of the crap they sell.

Last edited by arkangel06; 04-15-2010 at 07:52 PM.
arkangel06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
willf650

I've seen a few Westward tools that guys have at work have and check them out when I'm in Grainger. I've yet to see a Westward tool that wasn't made in China. Quality is subjective to what you happen to get. I saw a guy returning a set of prybars that a couple looked like pretzels and they were new in the package and unused. I purchased a hot dog compressor and it lasted less than a month. I would never purchase any of it personally after that compressor incident.

Last edited by willf650; 04-15-2010 at 07:57 PM.
willf650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #14
arkangel06
Banned

Send a message via MSN to arkangel06

Quote:
Originally Posted by willf650 View Post
I've seen a few Westward tools that guys have at work have and check them out when I'm in Grainger. I've yet to see a Westward tool that wasn't made in China. Quality is subjective to what you happen to get. I saw a guy returning a set of prybars that a couple looked like pretzels and they were new in the package and unused. I purchased a hot dog compressor and it lasted less than a month.
I got my hot dog compressor form the love shop.
arkangel06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #15
LGMechanical

I have a 42" combo from westward. better than craftsman, mastercraft, etc. The hand tools are usually junk though.

LGMechanical
Luke
LGMechanical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #16
matthew

I was in a machinery dealer that carried Westward hand tools at one point, and the guy said there's upper and lower line Westward, and that the upper line stuff was quite a bit better than the lower end stuff. I don't have any of their stuff, and don't plan to get any, but like a lot of mid-range tool brands you can probably do okay if you're selective enough...
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #17
garfunkle24

Send a message via MSN to garfunkle24

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkangel06 View Post
Westward tools have to be the cheapst sh!t I have even seen.

I would never own any of the crap they sell.
I agree, complete garbage IMHO. Lots of younger apprentices I know bought Westward stuff as a 'step up' from Craftsman and Mastercraft, with pricing somewhere between those brands and truck tools (surprisingly close in some cases). Most of what I have seen is on par with Mastercraft at best.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #18
EZH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder302 View Post
. . . Air tools were IR or Atlas Copco. We used a ton of cordless impacts, both torque controlled and non. We started with Hitachi (did not last), tried SO, IR, Milwaukee, Dewalt, and found Makita to last the best in 16 hour a day, this isn't my personal tool type treatment. Bosch made the best cordless torque controlled tools.

Good information. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk farmer View Post
like you were going to buy one anyway. for the record i have an 89 t-800 and it has been a great truck.
Off topic but my favorite Kenworths are T800's. Especially those wide hood, 4 axles models. Talking about heavy haul, bring on those wind turbines.

Eric
EZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #19
highland512

I like the 800 we have on at the moment and as far as getting around in tight spaces it's hard to beat, but you just cant beat the looks of a 900
Old 04-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #20
caper

Send a message via MSN to caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfunkle24 View Post
I agree, complete garbage IMHO. Lots of younger apprentices I know bought Westward stuff as a 'step up' from Craftsman and Mastercraft, with pricing somewhere between those brands and truck tools (surprisingly close in some cases). Most of what I have seen is on par with Mastercraft at best.
I think your giving it too much credit.Mastercraft is much better in my mind.Westward is on par with Princess Auto to me with a harder to deal with warranty system.At least Canadian Tire and Princess Auto don't fight you over warranty on every item.There's a clause in our contract that requires the company to replace any of our tools we break on the job.When Grainger took over as our main supplier and the guys saw what they were pushing for tools we all told the boss we wouldn't accept Westward as a replacement for anything we broke.He's been going to our old supplier to get us Gray or on the Snap on truck when we break something.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote