Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
ericguy320

Default 84 lumber garage kits

Has anyone here had any experience with them, I need a garage and only have around 12k to spend and had planned on doing a lot of it myself. But also wanted it tall enough for a 2 post lift.
ericguy320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Willy Victor

Default Re: 84 lumber garage kits

The one in my area just closed. The few times I was in there I was not impressed with the operation.

Willy
Willy Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-13-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

Make that another that closed. Home Depot killed it. I don't think I ever stepped in the place. I'm pretty sure some people have used their garage kits on here before.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
red vette mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericguy320
Has anyone here had any experience with them, I need a garage and only have around 12k to spend and had planned on doing a lot of it myself. But also wanted it tall enough for a 2 post lift.
I bought most all of my building materials from 84. They really aim their marketing toward builders (or at least that is how this store operates.) 84 is a big outfit that started up NE somewhere (Penn?). They are nationwide now and sales are way above $1B I believe. I did not buy a garage kit from them but bought many $thousands of building materials from them. I went by first and told them my plans and that I wanted builder's pricing-if they could give it to me. They complied and that saved me from 10 to 20% on most of the stuff I bought.
red vette mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:26 PM   #5
toxicz28

I know someone that used one of their kits. Not sure of the size, but it is a 2 car that can fit a full sized pickup with the tailgate down, roll up closed and still have plenty of room to walk around it. If I remember correctly, he said it cost somewhere between $6,000 and $8,000 for the kit. That was without sitework, foundation, wiring, insulation, or interior. It included; trusses framing lumber, sheathing, siding, roofing, 2 roll-ups, a walk through, and all nails, scews, etc. to put it up. He also made it high enough to put a lift in.
toxicz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
OldCarGuy

I purchased about $50,000.00 worth of dimensional lumber, trusses, plywood, nails, shingles, insulation, deck lumber, man doors and Pella windows from 84 Lumber. Their prices amounted to almost 20% less than the big box stores contractor’s quoted prices. They are a far better source for dimensional lumber and gave me the same board foot price for 20’ long 2x12”s as an 8’er.
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:54 PM   #7
thefairlaneman
Banned

I looked at the 84 kits and found they used the cheapest hardware and construction methods possible. To have the options I wanted I had to buy some surplus doors and windows and do most of the carpentry work myself. You can save alot using used materials and theres nothing wrong with a used door thats been repainted.
thefairlaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
SKINNER

Okay, I;ll bite. I built my 30x36 garage with an 84 kit; my experience was unique to say the least. It didn't help that over the course of the 2 months I dealt with them the sales rep changed 3 times (other 2 quit), and the store manager left.

I'm an engineer at a Toyota plant so my free time is limited. Therefore, I planned to build the garage over our 1 week summer shutdown. Like I said, I gave 84 2 months of notice...but they still managed to screw it up. Somewhere in the staffing mess, the trusses didn't get ordered. So we had the garage framed in a day...but no trusses. It took until Friday to get the trusses (hourly houndings, finally expedited). On top of that, they forgot to order the windows, service door, and garage door (went to Lowes), and mixed up a bunch of my lumber (sent a 16' header for the garage door, needed 18').

All in all, I think my experience was unique. Will I use them again? Probably not. They were definitely cheaper and the lumber was decent quality.
SKINNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
mjribeiro

I used their basic plans, and ordered trusses through them, but I didn't buy the 'kit'
mjribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
jimsjinx

Our local 84 is run by a bunch of dufuses. I built my 26x32 shop outa thier kit. I got 3 extra trusses, about 7 square of shingles more than I needed, the siding was T111 type, and stacked. When I removed the top panel, which was flawless, the ones underneath were a mess. Missing veneers and wanes everywhere. I made them exchange the bad T111. Lately, I ordered 4 boards of poplar for a high end custom bed I am building for a client. The boards were SPEC'ed at 1" thick x 8" wide x 6' long. The emphisis was made that this was TRUE measurements, and NOT dimentional. That was 5 weeks ago!!!!!! The first boards came in and were, of course, dimentional! 3/4" x 7 3/4" ! Simple mistake, I understand. But, I have now been in a fight for 3 weeks trying to get the proper boards delivered. Never once did they call me. I called them every time. That is, untill I went to the corporate level. Seems they miraculously will have my material next week. I will never, ever trust my shop needs to these morons again. They don't apply themselves to the task at hand, nor do they give a crap about the client we tradesmen are trying to accomodate. I'm done with 84 Lumber. jimsjinx
jimsjinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
Kev442

84 lumber opened and closed in a 3 year period here.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
toxicz28

How far did you go to dig up a 4 1/2 year old thread?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #13
jimsjinx

Actually, I came to see other kits that had been built, and this thread was still there. Not looking for a fight. I was kinda suprised to see that it isn't just MY local 84 that sux, there are others. It is an oldie, and I am sorry for the negativity. Albeit all TRUE. Ahh, politically correctness. Aint it grand? Just speaking my mind. jimsjinx
jimsjinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
dwaynerz

since this thread has been bumped back to top, have you considered or looked at coachman garage? not a dealer or employee or share holder, just giving another option for garage builders. maybe morton building too.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #15
firebird1999us

I used to work for 84 Lumber...fun job but there's a reason they're closing. Those places just can't compete
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #16
Chris Adams

Very weird business model.
I bought from one about 50 miles away, got decent deals. They built one 10 miles away, did not stock anything. Must have been less than a thousand SKU's.
Then they built a big one, only a few miles from my house.
It closed about the same time as it's grand opening...
I know of no one who was in it.

They didn't advertise, didn't want 'walk in trade' didn't offer deals to contractors that were even competitive with Lowe's.

Too bad, I would have liked some competition to the two big boxes.
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
theoldwizard1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsjinx View Post
Lately, I ordered 4 boards of poplar for a high end custom bed I am building for a client. The boards were SPEC'ed at 1" thick x 8" wide x 6' long. The emphisis was made that this was TRUE measurements, and NOT dimentional.
I never heard of ANY lumber yard willing to special order custom boards out of any material. That kind of stuff usually only comes out of a custom millworks.

Recently, I was in need of some 3/8" MDF. None of the big box stores had anything less than 1/2" and some only had 3/4". Manns is about 20 miles away (past 5 or 6 HDs or Lowes), but they stock it. Last year, they were the only place that had 1x6 12' cedar. Cut in half no charge.

Last edited by theoldwizard1; 06-19-2011 at 01:36 PM.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #18
MScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicz28 View Post
How far did you go to dig up a 4 1/2 year old thread?
Isn't it interesting that, if someone starts a thread on a subject that has been covered before, they get chastised for not using the search function. Yet, if they do use the search and find a thread that may not be current, someone will complain that the thread is too old.
MScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #19
six-T-seven
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScott View Post
Isn't it interesting that, if someone starts a thread on a subject that has been covered before, they get chastised for not using the search function. Yet, if they do use the search and find a thread that may not be current, someone will complain that the thread is too old.
this.
six-T-seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #20
WVBrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by red vette mike View Post
I bought most all of my building materials from 84. They really aim their marketing toward builders (or at least that is how this store operates.) 84 is a big outfit that started up NE somewhere (Penn?)...
Trivia Fact: They started in Eighty Four, PA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighty_Four,_Pennsylvania
WVBrady is offline   Reply With Quote