Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
Toolhorder

Default OTC's lifetime warranty sucks!

I got a Hubtamer and the main screw finally stripped out and so everytime I start to spin it and press the bearing out it strips and just spins. Not good. Called up OTC and expected them to tell me where to send in the screw so I could get a replacement. NOPE, sorry that's normal wear and tear you have to buy another one. That's great! Guess that lifetime warranty applies to the life of the screw? Bull butter. I'm NEVER buying any OTC tool again.
Toolhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
kmorgancraw

Default Re: OTC's lifetime warranty sucks!

Maybe thats why OTC makes such a big deal in the manual about lubing the screw. OTC makes a lot of great tools, I wouldn't excommunicate them from my tool arsenal over this. Not buying an OTC tool could be tricky since a lot of the truck brand specialty tools are rebadged OTC. How much does a new screw cost? If you'd like you can send me all your OTC tools you don't want.
kmorgancraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-30-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
Toolhorder

It's lubed just fine. The problem is that screws don't last forever. Every time they are tightened and loosened the threads stretch and contract. I have an axle shaft rethreader set that had a die that matched the forcing screw and I tried the clean it up and lubed it again and no go. It's just annoying when you count on a tool and it fails you at the worst possible time. It's even more annoying when the company won't stand up and warranty the tool. They must know that the forcing screw isn't going to last forever and it's just misleading to say the tool has a lifetime warranty when it clearly doesn't. I have a couple other OTC products but I'm not throwing them out I'm just not replacing them with more OTC products when they finally fail.At least a truck brand rebadged OTC product will be covered by whoever rebadged it.
I'm not even sure how much the damn part is because they "don't sell to individuals" they told me on the phone. So the warranty is BS and they don't sell replacements. WTF?
Now I have to track down a tool truck dealer that will try and get me the parts.
Annoying.
Toolhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolhorder View Post
It's lubed just fine. The problem is that screws don't last forever. Every time they are tightened and loosened the threads stretch and contract. I have an axle shaft rethreader set that had a die that matched the forcing screw and I tried the clean it up and lubed it again and no go. It's just annoying when you count on a tool and it fails you at the worst possible time. It's even more annoying when the company won't stand up and warranty the tool. They must know that the forcing screw isn't going to last forever and it's just misleading to say the tool has a lifetime warranty when it clearly doesn't. I have a couple other OTC products but I'm not throwing them out I'm just not replacing them with more OTC products when they finally fail.At least a truck brand rebadged OTC product will be covered by whoever rebadged it.
I'm not even sure how much the damn part is because they "don't sell to individuals" they told me on the phone. So the warranty is BS and they don't sell replacements. WTF?
Now I have to track down a tool truck dealer that will try and get me the parts.
Annoying.
I agree about the way they sell parts. Bought a used OTC shop press and needed some missing parts for it. Called and they said I would have to go thru a dealer like NAPA. None of these "dealers" carry any OTC parts so they have to order them from you guess OTC. Just a pain in the ars.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
sberry

Yup, and they wonder "why",,, Harbor Freight would have sent a new one right out. hahaha
Old 04-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
Stephenw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberry View Post
Yup, and they wonder "why",,, Harbor Freight would have sent a new one right out. hahaha
HF and OTC pullers are both made in China.

I own a lot of OTC pullers and they are very good, but mine are all older and were made in the USA. I stopped buying OTC products when they started making them in the PRC.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
eyeboltman

we used 5 ton snap on pullers and the main screw would wear out after300-400 pulls , bearing of 2 6 inside dia of turbine shafts .. We used c-5 anti seize and oil the screw . i use a cman a lot lest and the screw has sone wear .3/4 -16 thead . I some time cut down the long 12' ' screw for home made pullers . cheap one don't last at all. 10- 20 times . is it. Eyeboltman
eyeboltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
bead1099

I just talked to an Owatonna Tool Company OTC representative. What I was told, Lifetime Warranty started in 1984. My tool was last made in 1968. A 1/2 drive breaker bar. The tool came with 90 day warranty. Thus no warranty option for me. They have not made hand tools for 45 years. I expressed my disappointment with their company not standing behind their product.

OTC's newer pullers like for ball joints and tie-rod ends are Made in Taiwan.

Last edited by bead1099; 06-19-2013 at 10:38 AM.
bead1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
rlitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolhorder View Post
...The problem is that screws don't last forever... So the warranty is BS and they don't sell replacements...
So buy this, and now you have two new forcing screws:
http://www.harborfreight.com/macpher...-set-3980.html
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
'52Chevy

How is the warranty stated? Limited Lifetime Warranty? Or simply Lifetime Warranty?

If it states "Limited" then there are some restrictions somewhere. I could understand them not warrantying the screw as it is a wear item, but you should then be able to order the part directly from them. A bonus would be if they gave you a discount.

I will always pay more for better quality products with good warranties. Tool related or not. I use Otterbox phone cases, and Skullcandy earphone, have had to warranty both, with absolutely no hassle from either company. In fact they were more than accommodating. Just like taking a Craftsman tool in to Sears(most of the time anyway). I would also start looking for a new company to buy from if possible(and if it wasn't stated as limited)
'52Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
s14kev

I ordered 2 orings and a backup washer from OTC last year for one of their jacks. Amounted to about $8 total in parts. They sent them as 3 separate large boxes and charged me shipping for each box. Ended up being about $35 of shipping for $8 of parts despite checking with them during the order process that they would use the most economical shipping (they wouldn't give me a price for shipping over the phone- need to be packed first they said to get quote). Funnily enough all were shipped from the same warehouse also.

I can't complain about the jack. The OTC I have has replaced everything else and I'm happy to say its the best and most reliable jack I have. I do have to say their service can suck sometimes. The one positive thing I can say is that at least all parts are available. The seem to keep a good stock of spares even for very old equipment.
s14kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
Buckgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberry View Post
Nope on that one. I have the HF hub kit and they refused to warranty the same problem. It only has a 90 day warranty.

http://www.harborfreight.com/fwd-fro...ers-66829.html

Last edited by Buckgnarly; 06-20-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Buckgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
bimmerZ5

it might depend on who you get on the phone. I had an issue with an OTC compression tester, called them and was immediately shipped replacement parts at no charge to me. got it in 2 days.
bimmerZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
NC-Fordguy

I've had good results getting otc tools warrantied through the local cornwell dealer
NC-Fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
ganymede

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead1099 View Post
I just talked to an Owatonna Tool Company OTC representative. What I was told, Lifetime Warranty started in 1984. My tool was last made in 1968. A 1/2 drive breaker bar. The tool came with 90 day warranty. Thus no warranty option for me. They have not made hand tools for 45 years. I expressed my disappointment with their company not standing behind their product. ...
Interesting tidbit to help determine mfg date. Thanks.
I wonder if my OTC stamped Proto ratchet is actually that old.
I'd figured it to be from the 80's.