Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
Adam McLaughlin

Default Home made air / water seperator

Hi Guys,

Can you all show me your home made air / water separators that you painters use for your guns?

I have a $50 filter on the output of my compressor, AND a filter on the inlet of my gun but WOW there is always an amazing amount of moisture in the lines whenever I take the gun on or off the hose.

I have been thinking of buying some copper tubing and making a desiccant snake, but before I do I would like to see what you guys have done before I try to re-invent a wheel.

Adam
Old 05-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Adam McLaughlin

Default Re: Home made air / water seperator

Aw come on, all of you guys are tool nuts and NO ONE here is a paint enthusiast?

Paint Guns are tools... Hell, I don't shoot professionally and I have four Iwatas...

Adam
Old 05-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Keep

The only one I can think of was someone that made a desiccant filter using an old propane cylinder.

Do a search it should show up.
Keep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Adam McLaughlin

Well, I was thinking of making some kind of crazy up and down copper snake that has water outlets at the bottom of every horizontal section, meaning that the moisture would collect there and be drainable when ready...

I want to see how some other painter people have done this. I run the $50 Campbell Hausfeld thing on my hose right now, but I do notice plenty of moisture in the hose when I switch guns or disconnect something...

AND I think I created a bunch of light nibs in my base coat because of this screwup! Aw well.... Let me see what you guys do.

Adam
Old 05-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
trbomax

If your air line drops come off the top of the supply or perimiter line,and have a drainable drop leg at the regulator it wont be a problem,also,the perimiter line should fall back to the compressor.Not trying to be a smart a&^,just look at your air instalation,then decide if your separaters are not adequit.I had a compressor install in the ohio shop and in over 30 yrs I never had any water in the paint booth line.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
vssjim
Alliance Member

you also can't have a your first one on the compressor you need to move them away from the compressor as you will run in to a tempature problem as the comp will really heat up the air and even the tank and line close to it.
vssjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
ponch37300

Here is a link to another thread I started about air dryers http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6684 . I hope it's ok to link, just easier than retyping everything. I never did get around to building one but did a lot of research. If you do some googling you will find TONS of different ideas. One of the ideas I liked was putting the cooler in between the pump and tank, many thoughts on this out there.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
bgott

Google "Franzinator".
bgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
brats.n.harleys

heres mine, made out of a 2 gallon air tank, inlet on the bottom , and out on the top to a HF dryer/oiler, works very well, 20 pounds of desiccant in it. sorry the pic is sideways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 011.jpg (144.0 KB, 132 views)