Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2005, 01:20 AM   #1
chopt49

Default Best type of wall paint...

Hello guys (and gals).

I am planning to pull all the items from the shop (er, I mean 2 car garage) and paint walls and ceiling. I was thinking of a high gloss for the walls and cabinets and Semi gloss on the ceiling.

What have you all done? Is high gloss a bad idea?

Oh yeah all white in color with stainless hardware.

Thanks, and I am so diggin this forum...
Old 03-04-2005, 04:14 AM   #2
weimer

High gloss on the ceiling will reflect more light downwards. Semi Gloss will probably do a good enough job for the ceiling, but I would definately use high gloss for the walls just for the fact that they won't scuff as easily and you will be able to keep them fairly clean.
I do suggest that for the walls that you go with a slight OFF-white as opposed to bright white, just to hide the dirt,dust,scuffs,etc.
Later,
WEIMER
weimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
Wile1Coyote

High Gloss will highlight any imperfections in the wall so they better be very straight and very flat or it will show.
Wile1Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
ZRWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopt49
Hello guys (and gals).

I am planning to pull all the items from the shop (er, I mean 2 car garage) and paint walls and ceiling. I was thinking of a high gloss for the walls and cabinets and Semi gloss on the ceiling.
What have you all done? Is high gloss a bad idea?
Oh yeah all white in color with stainless hardware.
Thanks, and I am so diggin this forum...
I too am "diggin this forum" It's been a great source of help and new ideas for my garage poject.
I had a painter spray my shop last week and had the same questions you have. His advice was one primer coat and one thick coat of white Satin Finish (it'll hold up under normal dirt removal or can be touched up with little effort).
He put a total of 12 gal of paint on my 32' X24' X10' shop's walls which had a poor quality typical contractors, tape job usually found on garage walls. The tape was still white, but after 10 years, the dry wall was almost tan LOL.
He further advised that once painted, some imperfections would be noticed on closs inspection, but not much noticed once my other things were back in the shop and on the walls. My cost to have the original dry wall smoothed to perfection would have been ~$250.
Now that the job is finished, I know my painter gave me great advice and I'm $250 richer.
ZRWON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
Throttlejockey

I used white Glidden eggshell finish paint and it worked great. Comes in a 5 gallon bucket at HomeyD and was pretty cheap.
Throttlejockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:13 PM   #6
red caddy

Default tough wall treatment

I do interior rehab for several property management firms here in town, on low income rental properties, (HUD) what I do is "spray-tex" texture the walls, "pop corn' the ceilings then spray out everything with a good quality gloss laytex in "Navahoe" white, (a real light off white).2 coats over the "pop corn".(I use only the preimum paint, sherwin-williams or equivilent with extra "mildew stopper". This gives an easily cleaned and repaired finish, that makes those "cracker boxes" look bright and airy. between tennants I just damp mop everything with "simple green" or "greased lightning" to remove smoke and cooking residue, use lite weight spackle on the dings dents and nail holes, and brush touch the repairs. (rattle can tex coat is a pretty close match for the spray-tex on big holes and hallway scrapes) These are "high turnover"properties, and a good job will last about 6 years, 8 to 10 tennants befor I have to sand and re paint. should last just about forever in your shop,with easy touch up. RED.
red caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
1ownerT

One of the commercial painters at work suggested using exterior semi gloss on the interior walls, he said that it would stand up longer.
I used his suggestion and painted with an exterior semi-gloss white, it had been two years and has held up very good so far. It cleans easily, but it does show my imperfect tape job. But then again it is cool in the summer and warm in the winter, so no one really cares what the tape job looks like,.
1ownerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 07:38 PM   #8
NHCharger

I'm a contractor and I agree with the guys. Any semi-gloss or high-gloss will show any imperfections in the sheetrock, but we're talking garages here, not Donald Trumps place. Flat, satin and eggshell paints will not clean up as well as semi and high-gloss.
NHCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #9
ConstructionBoss

I used High Gloss Olympic Interior Paint on mine. The blue on the walls hides some of the tape imperfections, and the white on the ceilin ghelps brighten up the shop. My taping ain't perfect but I figure if someone is picking out the tape imperfections I'm not doing a good enough job on the project truck because if I were they couldn't take there eyes off the truck.
ConstructionBoss is offline   Reply With Quote