Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
shortnugly

Default healing a millermatic 35 - See Pics

Picked this up a few days ago.

Millermatic 35 rated at 150 amps.

Popped a few welds without gas to see what it'll do. Good news, it almost blew a hole through 3/16 at the highest setting and high wire speed. Should do 1/4 pretty nicely with slower wire speed.

Has a 30lb. spool with first top windings all rusted out. Gonna strip it down to clean wire.

Original gun is shot. Tweco gun may have the lining gone.

It's real hard to pull wire through it. (no tension wheel).

I'd like to put a new tweco gun on it. Concerned about the connectivity conversion issue.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

[IMG]http://shortnugly.smugmug.com/Other/millermatic/Millermatic-22/859345954_SuePc-M.jpg[/IMG

Last edited by shortnugly; 05-07-2010 at 01:46 AM.
shortnugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
gasman1985

Default Re: healing a millermatic 35 - See Pics

Tweco has made a gun that will plug right in. I I know that years ago they made a kit that would adapt a tweco gun to a miller machine. Before you do that make sure its not just the liner or to much tension on the drive roll. There might some tension setting on the shaft the spool slides onto. You may get by with a mini gun on that machine it just depends on how mucch you want to spend. I hope this was a little helpful.

Tom
gasman1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
KenS

This HTP-Miller 10-foot Mig Gun may fit your machine and would be a less expensive alternative than a new M-10 gun. The nice thing is that it accepts Miller M-10 gun parts, and they are among the most common around.
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
trbomax

Throw ALL of the rusty wire away. It has ruined any liner that you tried to run it thru already.You cannot clean rust from liners or contact tips. The feed roll assy is filthy with rust.Take the feed rolls off and clean the whole thing carefully with brake cleaner and a toothbrush,then blow it out w/air. New wire,new liner ,and your should be good.Be careful to install the feed rollers with the correct groove for the wire you are useing. I used the panel adapter from trweco,but that was30 some years ago.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
shortnugly

The Tweco gun on it now looks still pretty good but can't find a model number on it. the end of it doesnt look like the Miller end.

Already retrofitted?

Also need something with the gas hose inlet like what I have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Throw ALL of the rusty wire away. It has ruined any liner that you tried to run it thru already.You cannot clean rust from liners or contact tips. The feed roll assy is filthy with rust.Take the feed rolls off and clean the whole thing carefully with brake cleaner and a toothbrush,then blow it out w/air. New wire,new liner ,and your should be good.Be careful to install the feed rollers with the correct groove for the wire you are useing. I used the panel adapter from trweco,but that was30 some years ago.
Trbo - will do. I'd like to replace the liner in the gun I have now. It'll feed if the gun is stretched out with a minor curve but binds really bad with any loops in it.
I'm sure its all the crap in there.

Where would I find a liner?
shortnugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
trbomax

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnugly View Post
The Tweco gun on it now looks still pretty good but can't find a model number on it. the end of it doesnt look like the Miller end.

Already retrofitted?

Also need something with the gas hose inlet like what I have now.

Trbo - will do. I'd like to replace the liner in the gun I have now. It'll feed if the gun is stretched out with a minor curve but binds really bad with any loops in it.
I'm sure its all the crap in there.

Where would I find a liner?
Just about any welder supply store will have tweco.As I recall,all the tweco liners are the same.My book has a parts list,I can look if you want.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
35mastr

Get a new liner,Clean the drive rolls. Throw away that spool of wire or you will ruin the new liner. hook uop a bottle and run it. You may be ok with the gun. unless it looks to have been run over.

Mac tools For Sale Here
George
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
cabriolet

As others have said put a new liner in it, new contact tip, clean everything up, get some new wire and have fun. If your gun is a Tweco it is probably a Tweco 200 amp gun. Any welding supplier will have liners for it. You have found a classic Miller Mig welding machine. One of the best they ever made. Have fun...
cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
arkangel06
Banned

Send a message via MSN to arkangel06

Very nice welder you found there!
arkangel06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
Gizzy

I've got this same welder...works great !!! Giz'
Gizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
wineslob

When you can, replace the gun/hose assembly. Tweco makes one called "Mig-Gun". It's a kit designed for the Millermatic (mines a "35" and a BIT newer than yours! (early 80's), so the one for yours will be slightly different) The difference in heat transfer will be astounding.
wineslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
Tantara

I agree with all the above. I have the same machine, get rid of the wire and get a liner and new tip. Also, I had to mess with the tension on the drive rolls. I put a small spacer less than 1/8" out of wood under the spring to increase tension on the drive rolls when I am welding with .035 wire. I remove the wood for .023 wire.

Brad
Tantara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
rustyjeeps

The drive motor gearbox may need oil added also. Mine was dry when I traded for it. Feeds much better with oil in it.
rustyjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
maxdrew1788

I have the same welder but I have A LOT of trouble finding tips for the gun. Does anyone on here know where to get any?
maxdrew1788 is offline   Reply With Quote