Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
tdkkart

Default Holmes on Homes, what happens after???

I know, another Holmes thread.........

Still healing my broken leg so I'm sitting here in my ass-basket watching another episode of Mike Holmes as he faces another disaster botch job done by supposed "professionals". What started as a $70,000 job is now gonna take about $100,000 to rework so it's done as it should have been in the first place.

So what happens after?? Do they ever go back on the original contractors to recover some of the costs?? They've gotta have not only some seriously embarrassed contractors, but also some seriously embarrassed and possibly pissed off municipal inspectors.

Some of the people involved in these projects should be taken out in the town square for public floggings.
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
burleymike

Default Re: Holmes on Homes, what happens after???

I often wonder about this too. I sure hope he has some lawyers that help the homeowners/holmes recover some of the costs from the shit contractors. In some episodes the government inspector should be fired for passing some of that crap work.
burleymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
Nealcrenshaw

SIt back and relax,thats a great show!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
RbrtAWhyt

I was wondering that myself. Especially on some of those shows where the homeowner talks about how the crappy contractor has placed a lein on their house and was claiming that the work was "99%" finished. I was wondering if any of those homeowners took those crappy contractors to court with all the documentation created by the show as evidence of how lousy the contractors work really was...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran
You can only get the clap so many times before it turns into applause...

Hit me up on Facebook.
RbrtAWhyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
walrus

There was one show where the fraud protection police were involved but the guy did work so it got kicked out and the homeowner had to go the civil route. That costs money so it probably went nowhere.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Teken

Holmes actually was asked as a witness for one of the shows that aired . . . He brought in some video, pictures, and some large cut outs to show the jury and to the judge.

The contractor got hosed . . . But, the important part is whether or not the victims were able to collect anything from the dead beat contractor . . .

You can be found guilty for this and that, but whether they get blood out of a rock is all together another matter . . .

That was the major problem they ran into that this cock sucker didn't have anything and anything he had wouldn't be worth squat if it was to be sold off . . .

In those cases, a public beheading is in order, Canadian style . . . Grab a milking cow, whip its aszz till it runs, all the while his head is tied to a rope . . .

Quote:
GRX: Judging from past experiences my guess would be Racoons. They can easily jump onto the lid if the can is too heavy to knock over. Either that or Man-Bear-Pig.
Teken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
paramedic

a canadian style hanging, haha that is the best thing i have EVER heard. of all time. i laughed so hard i tinkled a littled. all i could picture was terrance and phillip from southpark doing that.
paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
DoTheMahoney

I was speaking with a few co-workers about Mike Holmes' show. From what I was told, he pays for the corrections himself. I guess he was interviewed and explained that in some cases he tries to go after the original contractor, but he will "...never be a rich man..." because of his desire to help other people. He must have started with a bunch of money, because the network doesn't pay for any of the materials. Crazy!
DoTheMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
benjamming

Yeah, but the network does pay a hefty sum for the show.
benjamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
bluesman2a

Yeah, but something I HAVE noticed in the most recent batch of shows... He is going after smaller projects than he has in the past. No more like that place in Pasadena where it's a complete gut/rebuild. Now we're talking about a front porch here, a leaky roof there. Distinctly smaller/cheaper projects.
bluesman2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
wishihadatalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman2a View Post
Yeah, but something I HAVE noticed in the most recent batch of shows... He is going after smaller projects than he has in the past. No more like that place in Pasadena where it's a complete gut/rebuild. Now we're talking about a front porch here, a leaky roof there. Distinctly smaller/cheaper projects.
If this is true, hopefully companies and private donators will step up to the plate and help. I like his show so much more than Extreme Home Makeover because it isn't too over the top and they focus more on the building side.
wishihadatalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
dirttracker18

They had a show on him about how everything works. The network pays for most of the work (and the guys), the other contractors donate their time and some companies step up and donate materials.
However, Mike has been known to step up and make up any costs not covered. The network claims that the homeowners usually pay between 10 and 20% of what the actual cost would have been. If they cannot pay it Mike does.
There was one episode where they tore down an entire house and built a new one. The network turned down the idea when Mike said it needed to be taken down entirely and rebuilt. Mike said "if you don't do this one then I've done my last show."
A real stand up no bull guy!
As for after, they said it is up to the homeowners to go after the contractors. However, Mike has been know to report stuff to inspectors and trades groups. The show will also give any video and pictures for use in court. They didn't say so but I bet Mike will be an expert witness if you ask.

www.LauraMyersPhotography.com
dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
tatra

i am sure mike's next shows will be repairing extreme makeover's, and other such shows, their make the timeline do overs................
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
rieferman

What makes me sick, is that the stuff he's finding is hidden in so many houses out there. It's so hard to find good work, and many home owners don't know what they're looking for in terms of quality work. And the methods to do anything about it are so broken that it's each individual homeowner on an island against the world.

His show proves that the system as it stands is totally broken. I can't believe that the best and brightest minds can't see how important it is to fix this issue (namely crook contractors run amok)
rieferman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #15
dirttracker18

Agreed! it is so hard to find those that take pride in their work. It almost seems that the few that are out there are on GJ. I wish many of you were not so far away so that I could tap into your expertise and pride.
i have many up coming major home projects that are out of my ability range and am constantly worried trying to find a "GOOD" contractor.
We need a thread for local recomended contractors, tradesmen, companies etc.

www.LauraMyersPhotography.com
dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
viper86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatra View Post
i am sure mike's next shows will be repairing extreme makeover's, and other such shows, their make the timeline do overs................
that would be awesome, because then they'd be coming to fix one of those not far from my house
viper86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #17
G Speed

what I head was home owners pay something like 10-20% of the cost of the repair
G Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #18
sevnd3z28

Dirttracker18 has it pretty much correct. My wife and Mike Holmes' sister are friends.....we have met him personally when he did a show in town here a few years ago. The show and the network pay the bills and Mike himself does alot of the extras that he is famous for out of his own pocket. He is as genuine as he appears on the show....helluva a nice guy!
sevnd3z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #19
jwh

Check out his website....http://makeitright.ca/

He also has a magazine out now for those of us who "DO IT RIGHT"

John in Rochester NY
jwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #20
evintho

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevnd3z28 View Post
Dirttracker18 has it pretty much correct. My wife and Mike Holmes' sister are friends.....we have met him personally when he did a show in town here a few years ago. The show and the network pay the bills and Mike himself does alot of the extras that he is famous for out of his own pocket. He is as genuine as he appears on the show....helluva a nice guy!
I'll bet that was true when the show first started. I don't have any facts but I gotta believe now that the show is wildly popular and has taken off, I'm pretty sure Mike has renegotiated his contract! I'll bet dollars to donuts the network foots ALL the bills, even the extras and pays Mike a hefty little salary! And, you can be sure DeWalt provides (for free) every tool you see on the show. The kind of exposure they're getting you couldn't buy for a million dollars! And yeah, Mike seems like a very genuine guy!
evintho is offline   Reply With Quote