Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
iamhomeless

Default hard use cell phone

I know that I can't be the only one with this problem, so I will see what you fellas have to say. I have never been gentile with any of my toys, tools, or equipment, and my cell phone is no different. The problem is that modern technology doesn't seem to like that. I have killed 3 from welding (twice from the EMF once because it was sitting on the welding table), 4 from impacts while it was in my pocket, and who knows how many antennas I have ripped off.

My needs are pretty simple, it just needs to send and receive phone calls, no text, no games, no apps, no interwebs, just a phone. Ohh and I pretty much need to be able to play home run derby with the thing. However that doesn't seem to be in the marketing plan of any of the cell companies.

So for all you guys like me that actually use your hard use gear, what are you running for a phone? Or should I just keep tossing it in the top of the tool box every day?
iamhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
nolatoolguy
Banned

Default Re: hard use cell phone

I have a Tundra by Motterola. It is the best I have found.

We use these to run the farm. They dont work well for "social networking" and texting but are great for the hard working man. Its deffinitly not what many consider "cool" but it is functional. Its got a good speaker phone and the "push to talk" is what makes it best. Ive dropped it off barn roofs, its been caked in mud etc etc. I have only had to replace it 3 times in almost 2 years, but its not exactly meant to be ranover by a 14 ton tractor, dropped in a grain bin and auger, or be left behind in the field and later be ran over by the mower. Its the toughest phone weve used. I do wish the battery would last longer though. I go through 2 batteries in a 15 hour day. I have case and 3 extra batteries for it. In the end the tundra is one kick A phone. We own and use 17 of them day in day out.
nolatoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
DanCo

Location: In a house, on a block, somewhere in Queens New York
Send a message via AIM to DanCo Send a message via Yahoo to DanCo

There's the nextel i530, they advertise it as a rugged phone, I know that verizon sells one that's made with casio G-Shock technology. As for me, I keep the the Crackberry on a docking station on top of my box. Whatever you decide on, spend the extra ca$h for the "total protection" insurance.

Looking for Snap On Pearl Handled Screwdrivers, PM me if you want to sell

DanCo's For Sale Items
DanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
LoneGunman

We have about 20 field guys at work, we had Motorola i530s and switched to the Casio Boulder. Like most company phones they get abused, I got bitched at once for not having my phone on me during working hours, I was trying to keep it dry. Now I wear it constantly and screw it if it gets trashed. It's been dropped from 20' or so and I have dropped it in 3 feet of muddy water, picked the phone up dried it off and it was good to go. It spent at least 15 minutes in the water because I couldn't find it. We also had good luck with the i530's.
LoneGunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
tonydanzah

I did not even think about the emf and my phone. How close did you have your phone?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
pgray

Just had to replace a ic530(ran over it with a work truck) but I'm not hard on phones, it lasted 5 yrs.
pgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Bevis

had a I530 that I had to keep replacing the screen in every month...ditched it for a BB. Hell that thing made it through a structure fire, when I forgot to remove it from my belt.
Bevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
JMartel

Killed my last 2 phones so I got a Samsung Convoy. My dad had some sort of rugged phone from Sprint when he had a Servpro franchise and the only thing that killed it was when he dropped it in the river. I'm fairly certain it probably still worked till it lost a battery charge
JMartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
speed bump

I have a Crackberry Curve with an Otter box defender case. Made it pretty much safe from everything but dropping it in water.
speed bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
Possum

I have an At&t branded version of this phone. http://www.jr.com/samsung/pe/SAM_SGHB2100/ its great.
Waterproof - I have stuck it in the sink and called it. Yes it worked.
Tough - rubberized outer skin and sealed keypad. Throw it across the room, it can take it.
Bad ass LED flashlight build in with dedicated key - literally the best function I have ever had on a cell phone.
Big battery - like a week before charging.
And as you can see, cheap.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:42 AM   #11
35mastr

I also have a Blackberry Curve with nextel. Its a great phone.

Mac tools For Sale Here
George
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:58 AM   #12
nate379
Banned

Samsung Rugby. Very common phone with contractors around here. Mine has been holding up great and it's going on 2 years old now.

It's a good size too. I was getting sick and tired of those little micro phones that I could almost crush between a few fingers.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #13
v7guy

i've been using a blackberry curve for a couple years. Welding, no problem, repeated dropping it (from10-12ft plus), no problem. smashing it in my chest pocket, no problem. fairly tough smart phone. it's probably more phone than you need though. I still get all my emails txt and calls in one device. i've been very happy and I am not a careful guy.

my slow, not often updated garage build

my never ending wilton vise resto
v7guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
Fubar

My cellphone left with my Ex ten years ago....

I don't miss either....
Fubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
07Forester

Send a message via AIM to 07Forester

There is actually a LOT of options for you. What carrier are you on? Seems like verizon or sprint. That being said, Motorola makes a phone that you can drop from a 4 story building repeated times and it will still work. There is also a company called Otterbox that makes cases you can put onto phones that will virtually do the same thing.
07Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #16
HOTFR8
Super Moderator

Location: Castlemaine, Victoria. The Hot Rod Centre of Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Forester View Post
There is also a company called Otterbox that makes cases you can put onto phones that will virtually do the same thing.
I have mine in a pouch made by a company called IRWIN, they make work gloves etc. This has been the best thing for me. Mind you I have to take my phone off when I do any work so that way it is protected.

www.streetrod.com.au

The Beast Runs>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0871&showall=1
Sheddwellers>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0063&showall=1

"V8's are Great, But Six inlines Just Fine" - CUMMINS Advertising.
HOTFR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #17
HICKS

Samsung Rugby
HICKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:13 AM   #18
Vinko

I was looking at the i530 at the Sprint Store. I have Sprint -- I guess Nextel and Sprint are the same, but I was too confused by all the talk about Sprint and Nextel that I didn't buy. I've got 3 other phones on the plan, and wasn't sure if this Nextel was "compatible" with it. And the kid selling the phones wasn't very articulate. Or at least I'll blame him for my ignorance. But the i530 (if that's the mil spec. one), is on my short list of replacement phones.
Vinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #19
iamhomeless

Awesome responses guys. I am on Verizon so that some what limits things. My buddy did tell me about the otterbox case for the iPhone, apparently they ran over one with a 7ton in Iraq and the phone just had a few scratches, but I didn't know if they made the cover for any other phones.

The EMF damage was several generations of phones ago, and I don't know if it is still a problem but I don't wear my phone on my hip any more when I weld. I noticed the problem was worse when I was crouched down between the welder and the work piece with the wire running under and around me. Some times after that I would have to pull the batter for it to work, sometimes it was just dead.
iamhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #20
speed bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhomeless View Post
Awesome responses guys. I am on Verizon so that some what limits things. My buddy did tell me about the otterbox case for the iPhone, apparently they ran over one with a 7ton in Iraq and the phone just had a few scratches, but I didn't know if they made the cover for any other phones.
Yep they make them for a lot of phones, I love mine. I can drop it, throw it, and have filthy hands when I use it and the phone stays perfectly fine.
speed bump is offline   Reply With Quote