Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
Fabes

Default Basement under garage

I was wondering if anyone has done a basement underneath your garage?

Looking for some opinions and if you think it is worth it.

This is new construction and the foundation has already been poured. I asked the builder if there was anyway to utilize the space under the garage and he is getting me prices on doing this now.

Thanks for any input. Can't seem to find much on the subject.
Fabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
cm2677

Default Re: Basement under garage

Search for the bunker garage.
cm2677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Ord

My neighbor has a basement under his garage, I was surprised when I saw it, I had never seen a house before that did that. He said there was a lot of engineering involved, but he knew someone from a steel company that did the design of the beams for him.
Ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Gary S

Personally, I would never be brave enough to go into a basement that has cars parked over my head.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Fabes

Thanks for the replies

I searched "Bunker Garage" That one in Utah is pretty nice.

What the builder was/is telling me he will use is a prefabbed floor and then cut a double door out of the back of the foundation to access this. It will be used for storage mainly. The sub-division I am moving in doesnt allow any type of sheds. Even though we are building a house with a 4 car garage I dont want it clutter with yard tools/kid toys etc.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
little d

if ya think about it, its pretty common, hi rise buildngs? i did a supended concrete floor over a basement several years ago, to be honest, i was a little nervice. the inspector came by and said not a prob, heres how ya do it. we layed down tin roofing, tied in our re-bar, braced the under side, very little, by the way, and poured. like i said, i was nervice, but when the inspector came for the finle inspect, he said i could take out ALL of the bracing, it would hold its self. i still left the beam deviding it though.
little d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
blkhonda1991

you are probably going to incur some hefty costs to change the construction now, especially if your foundation is already poured and only designed for the loading of wood framed walls. im confused about what you mean about utilizing space under your garage if your foundation has been poured its most likely only a frost wall depth wall for a slab on grade, so what space is there to utilize?
Old 05-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Holedgr

Ahh....'spancrete'? Will the builder have room for the crane?? Spancrete is awesome, but HEAVY...make sure everybody has the right insurance to do this...also, make sure your homeowners insurance wont have a problem with it. Mske sure the drainage system is is place around it and is intact. Add an extra pump to the drainage equation. Make sure opening and access put in are WIDE as you can afford....if the exterior is your only access, then make it as big as you can. The engineering on such an endeavor is not difficult or even expensive(relatively)....just don't forget that if you use spancrete or a precast product...getting holes through it properly can be expensive and difficult...everything may have to come throughthe foundation wall, which is also a major pain.

I say do it even if the cost is 12k or so...you won't regret it...barring all above criteria is addressed...Good Luck

-T
Holedgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
Stuart in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
Personally, I would never be brave enough to go into a basement that has cars parked over my head.
I guess you've never gone into a parking ramp, then.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
cre73

With enough money anything can be done. I and assume some other people on this board work in a plant with multiple stories. I continually have fork truck traffic and other heavy equipment above me. The correct spanning and supports and no big deal. Unless you will be using a 20TON crane then thats another story. It,s only a couple cars up there.
cre73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
rsanter

you could cut the exsisting floor to make a couple of 'pits' in the garage that could be used for storage instead of for working under cars.
a friend had a garage with a pit in it (from before he moved there)
he was not too big on working on cars so he used the pit for storage

bob
Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
tab2

My barn has spancrete, it's great. I have a walkout basement out the back. There are concrete walls on three sides, the back is stick framed. Where the stairs come down to the bottom floor there is a concrete wall that supports the other side of the spancrete. The "planks" run perpendicular to the back wall, the 30' of my 30 x 36. A builder built our house and had to move in and built the barn as after thought to store heavy equipment.

The best part is that I have a concrete floor on the two bottom floors with no middle supports in the middle, and no steel beams.

I would show pics but I am at my summer place, maybe when I return home for the weekend.
tab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:38 AM   #13
tfi racing

Not a big deal,really.I once wired a new house that had the basement under the garage,nothing but your standard pad poured over your run of the mill engineered wood joists and plywood subfloor,designed by an architect and approved by an engineer and of course local authorities.It seemed so simple and made me wonder why more don't take advantage of this wasted space.My big concern would be would be drainage from the vehicle droppings in the areas that have miserable,snowy,slushy winters,other than that it made a lot of sense.
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:41 AM   #14
nate379
Banned

My Dad's friend had one and we ended up cutting the slab and filling it in. It was starting to fall in and he was worried about parking cars in there.

Cost to design and build a structure to hold up the weight makes it cost prohibitive IMO. Better off to build a shed or 2nd floor to the garage.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:17 AM   #15
MG David

Suspended concrete garage floors are quite common for modern houses over here. The building regulations limit the amount of fill you can use under a solid floor. As a result if you are building a garage on a sloping site you often end up having to use a beam and block type structure. It is only a small step from the idea of a floor void to a basement.
MG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:38 AM   #16
larry4406

I am aware of two of these, both engineered. Both used major steel beams parallel to the depth of the car, beams located between car bays. In one case the steel clear spanned, in the other there were intermediate piers and steel columns. This steel supported the upper deck in a similar manner that a structural slab would be done, except the steel replaced what would have been concrete grade beams.

The car decks were made of poured concrete and the perimeter concrete walls had a slab ledge. One used plywood forms on the underside of the deck with intense shoring, the other used commercial corrugated metal pan systems.

Neither was cheap. However, since in my area, most garages use structural slabs anyway (poor soils, bad lots), the cost increments were the additional basement slab, and the framing efforts and steel asscociated with the upper deck. I do not know what was done to ensure no water leakage from the upper slab to the lower area as was posted as a concern.
larry4406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #17
kartracer23

We were going to do an underground parking garage on a commercial building project I'm involved in (it was scrapped for other reasons). Basically, we were going to tear down the back 2/3 of the building and build a ramp into the basement for parking, and then do a parking deck over the back 2/3. I was shocked when the engineer told us that the parking deck only has to be rated for about 1/4 the load of if you were putting a building on it.

I've got a basement in my commercial building. In the back, there is a garage (truck size) - plus 2 stories over it. The garage is just slab - the rest of the building is I beams.
kartracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #18
gfd_703

What about fumes like with a service pit? I would want a very good ventilation system along with explosion proof lighting.
gfd_703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #19
Fabes

Wow, Thanks for all the replies!!! Some great stuff here.

I will go grab some pic's for you guys to see what I am talking about.

I spoke to the builder yesterday and gave him e the green light to do this. I hope I dont have any issues. He said it weverything will be fine and I wont have any issues with the foundation or load issues from parking two cars on it. To do this when the foundation was poured (2 weeks ago now, I noticed it the day after they poured it!) would have cost me about $8,500. Now it will be $12,700... I wish he told me about this option nad I could have done all 4 car bays. Now only 2 can be done but it is still alot of storage room. He will have to notch the foundation to put in a Flexicore floor. Then will pour the garage floor over the Flexicore.

The cut out on the back of the house will be a double door. So I can get stuff in and out easy. We are planning on using it for kids toys, patio furniture, Xmas crap etc. The subdivision we are moving to is kinda snobby and does not allow any type of shed unless it is a "pool house" and if you do a pool it has to be inground... lol

I will get some picks to you later today. THANK YOU for all the replies and opinions. Have a great holiday weekend.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #20
Stuart in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd_703 View Post
What about fumes like with a service pit? I would want a very good ventilation system along with explosion proof lighting.
As long as there's no passage between the garage and the basement below this shouldn't be an issue.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote