Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
saabman

Default Trailer winch mount

A while back I purchased a WARN winch and receiver mount kit to allow it to be used on my truck or trailer. I got the same winch that a fellow car club member has front mounted on his GMC truck which I have seen used a number of times. It has a 9000 lb capacity so it should be up to most tasks that I ask of it. I spent a fair amount of time thinking about how to mount the winch on my trailer.

Bolting directly to the deck would defeat the portability aspect of the receiver mount and would not provide a robust mount (wood deck). Adapting an old trailer hitch receiver would have been possible but I did not want to weld to or drill on the trailer frame. My design goal was to make something that was rugged but totally removable. The picture below shows the overall design and fab work.

The principle design concepts are the a) frame clamp b) riser and c) mount plate and tube. The frame clamp consists of the trapezoidal base plate made of 3/8 inch steel and the sandwich plates. Each of these featuring angles that match the trailer A-Frame. The plate is clamped to the trailer frame via 4 bolts on each side. The winch will primarily exert sheer force on the base plate and this is spread over a large area of the trailer frame. Additionally, the base plate buts to the tubular uprights supporting the trailers retaining fence. The riser features a 1/4 inch stiffener/spacer bar and 2x4 1/8 steel tube. The riser precisely locates the top plate such that the mount tube will pass just above the trailers "lip". Lastly the top plate is made of 1/2 inch plate with a Harbor Freight 18 inch receiver tube welded to it. The riser is bolted to the top plate and to the base plate. All connected hardware is grade 8.

In this picture you can see the receiver tube projecting out ove the trailer deck.

And here is the money shot showing the WARN winch mounted to the trailer.

Next I have to run the heavy duty wire from my aux battery (I run dual batteries for the benefit of my snow plow) to the back of my truck. With a pigtail cord I will be able to use the truck wiring to run the winch on the trucks receiver (when the trailer is not connected) or on the trailer via the new mount. The last item I will put is a nylon scuff plate at the duck tail juunction on the trailer. This will keep the winch cable from being abraded.

Chris
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
HOTFR8
Super Moderator

Location: Castlemaine, Victoria. The Hot Rod Centre of Australia.
Default Re: Trailer winch mount

Very neatly done I like the fact you can remove it so easily and it makes for being very practical and even an anti theft idea.

www.streetrod.com.au

The Beast Runs>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0871&showall=1
Sheddwellers>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0063&showall=1

"V8's are Great, But Six inlines Just Fine" - CUMMINS Advertising.
HOTFR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
hilld

Looks good, I would add one addition. As the force/torque is going to want to lift the back of the plate off with the winch pulling, I would add a U-bolt or axle bolt for leaf springs to the middle support on the trailer and have it come up the plate directly below the receiver. Hope that makes sense.

So now that you can pull the dead vehicle onto the trailer, if you ever have to get it off, guess you can always tie a chain to a friends pickup and drive the trailer off with the other end of the chain attached to the car on the trailer.

Looks good.

Derek
hilld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
saabman

I see your point but in practice the winch will be pulling almost level with the drum, which should put the mount in sheer as the winch tries to move parallel deck towards the back of the trailer. Also, the receiver tube is less than 1/16 of an inch above the vertical lip on the trailer bed (any upward motion of the back of the base plate would cause a downward motion on the tube.) That said, it is a realatively simple mod to drill a couple of additional holes in the bottom plate and add a u-bolt or sanwich plate with conventional bolts.

Chris

Last edited by saabman; 05-31-2010 at 08:37 AM.
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
nissan_crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilld View Post
So now that you can pull the dead vehicle onto the trailer, if you ever have to get it off, guess you can always tie a chain to a friends pickup and drive the trailer off with the other end of the chain attached to the car on the trailer.

Looks good.

Derek
No, you run a chain across the back of the trailer, put a clevis and snatch block on it, and run your winch cable through that and up to the front of the vehicle.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
nolatoolguy
Banned

Wow, did a good job. Warn and Big Tex, some of the best names in the buisness.
nolatoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
N8

Damn thats a neat idea.
Good timing too as I have been procrastinating on putting a winch on my trailer.

Complacency kills.

Respect is earned.

B and B Speed and Custom

The Compound

Mega Garages - Social Group

GJ Industrial Designers Social Group
N8 is offline   Reply With Quote