Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
karlgabel2

Default Valves used in Sandblaster Foot Pedals?

I've been looking around for valves that could be used in making a foot pedal control for my sandblaster. After a bit of searching, I think they are direct acting 2 way valves but am not sure. I'm calling out to the collective wisdom on the board to see if any of you know? I really cringe at shelling out $100+
for a pedal when I could possibly make one on the cheap. Thanks!
karlgabel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
scott37300

Default Re: Valves used in Sandblaster Foot Pedals?

I bought some on ebay last year for a project I was/am still working on. Think I paid around 25 bucks a peice for them. I'm not sure what kind of valve you would need for a blast cabinet, would think just a simple open/closed would work. A foot pedal with s spring return to normally closed and then when you push down it opens is what I would think but I don't have a blast cabinet or know what is needed. I just did a quick search on ebay and there are a bunch of foot valves for 10-100 bucks, most in the 20-50 dollar range so it is probably cheaper to buy one if you can find what you are looking for.
scott37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
scooby074

pressure blaster or syphon?

Syphon blaster can use any of those foot valves so long as they'll flow enough air.

Pressure blasters can use the same foot valve as syphon as a control. This activates a cylinder that moves a hardened valve in the abrasive stream. This is necessary because the abrasive will kill a air only foot valve made out of aluminum.

There may be hardened foot valves that would allow you to shut off the abrasive flow but i havent seen them. You want to control the abrasive so you dont have to waste air refilling the tank every time you stop.

you could use a regular foot valve with a pressure tank, but youd waste time and air every time you stopped, plus there would be a delay in the abrasive stopping as the tank bled down

Last edited by scooby074; 06-25-2010 at 09:14 PM.
scooby074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
OccupantRJ

At least 2 ways to do it on a siphon type cabinet. One is a direct opening mechanical valve, foot operated, with spring return, or an electric solenoid controlled by an electrical foot switch. I use one of each on my two cabinets at home, and the solenoid operated at work. No real preference to me either way as far as operation, but the solenoid is expensive when it goes out. The foot pedal can be set up to be moveable for comfort, or for switching feet, in either case. Blasting for long periods of time is more tiring than most would think, and a stool doesn't work well due to having to lean forward to see the work.

RJ

It's always easier to find a reason NOT to do something.....
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
karlgabel2

Thanks for the information and interest, guys. I am putting together a pressure blaster from ebay and the yahoo pablaster plans.

My compressor is single stage and doesn't have the flow rate like a dual stage. It's an IR 5hp, 12cfm unit with 60 gallon tank.

My plan is to control the air side and not the media side. I've seen one setup that controls the media side, but like scooby074 said, that would take a hardened valve. I did look at using a solenoid operated valve but again - cost!

I know that this setup would leave the media side to the gun flowing but maybe it could work.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
lilredex

There is something like this:

http://www.princessauto.com/hydrauli...-control-valve

Or, I saw one that was made using a 1/2" or so, hand operated ball valve mounted with a wheel on the handle and a simple spring return (cannot find that pic).

Then another using a "blow gun" with a foot pedal to operate the thumb lever.

That's about as cheap as you can go.
lilredex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
lilredex

Found it.......

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/...ootSwitch2.jpg

Cannot paste it here as it becomes too small.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
karlgabel2

Thanks lilredex - exactly what I was looking for!
I had to do a little link modification in case anyone is interested,
here it is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ootSwitch2.jpg

I don't know why the link you posted is not working for me.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
scott37300

If that is all you need you should really do some searching for foot pedals. They can be found for 20-40 bucks, I would think that the parts to build what's pictured would be over 20 bucks. The ones are bought are pretty nice, have a plastic gaurd so you don't accidently step on it.

I'm all about homemade things and using creativity but when you can buy something this cheap for the price of the parts to make it I will buy the part.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
lilredex

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott37300 View Post
If that is all you need you should really do some searching for foot pedals. They can be found for 20-40 bucks, I would think that the parts to build what's pictured would be over 20 bucks. The ones are bought are pretty nice, have a plastic gaurd so you don't accidently step on it.

I'm all about homemade things and using creativity but when you can buy something this cheap for the price of the parts to make it I will buy the part.
Did that in my first post........

May or may not be useful. What would be useful is if you guys posted where you're at!! How 'bout it??

Edit: Scott- you're assuming that one has to start from scratch, anyone with a decent junkbox could build that from parts already on hand.........probably 2 or 3 of them in my case.

Last edited by lilredex; 06-26-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
scott37300

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredex View Post
Did that in my first post........

May or may not be useful. What would be useful is if you guys posted where you're at!! How 'bout it??

Edit: Scott- you're assuming that one has to start from scratch, anyone with a decent junkbox could build that from parts already on hand.........probably 2 or 3 of them in my case.

Fixed the location for you! I agree with you and I probably have enough stuff also to build a bunch of them and I really like designing/building my own projects also. But on something like this where you can get what you posted for 22 bucks I would rather have the store bought one for a couple reasons. The gaurd over the footpedal to prevent accidental startups. And the actual foot pedal looks a lot easier to use than the homemade one.

Not trying to disagree, like I said I really enjoy coming up with my own things but in this case I would rather spend the 20 bucks and get one that I believe would work better and save the time from building one to use for something else.

Either way OP, please post pics of what you come up with!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #12
Steve in Mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlgabel2 View Post
I've been looking around for valves that could be used in making a foot pedal control for my sandblaster. After a bit of searching, I think they are direct acting 2 way valves but am not sure. I'm calling out to the collective wisdom on the board to see if any of you know? I really cringe at shelling out $100+
for a pedal when I could possibly make one on the cheap. Thanks!
If worse comes to worse 20 bucks should do it. Buy the small "C" frame planishing hammer at Harbor Freight for $20. on sale. Save the foot operated air valve and put the rest where you like. I've made a few using an older style blow gun but today I think the HF valve is the best bang.